Detroit Player Profiles, and Season Expectations

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Compare that to the time he played with Datsyuk (4.79%). In 2014-15, the Arizona Coyotes legend drove possession at a 60.6% clip, including a +9.7 individual relative rating.

I threw up in my mouth

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Abdelaker has never played for the Coyotes. Your "Red Wings Writer" should know this.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If they are writing Arizona Coyote Legend, me thinks they are not going far in the hockey writing business. Nobody not smoking pot or acid, thinks of Datsyuk as even being with the Coyotes, let alone playing for them, in 14-15 of all years.

Maybe small mistake, but ridiculous!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If they are writing Arizona Coyote Legend, me thinks they are not going far in the hockey writing business. Nobody not smoking pot or acid, thinks of Datsyuk as even being with the Coyotes, let alone playing for them, in 14-15 of all years.

It was done on purpose for that reaction. It's stupid trolling.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Same idea as the 'Martin Brodeur, Blues legend' stuff. To the OP, the reactions should tell you that the writing in that section was pretty awkward.

Beyond that, I don't think there's really a ton of insight here. For instance, in the bit everyone's complaining about:

"Compare that to the time he played with Datsyuk (4.79%). In 2014-15, the Arizona Coyotes legend drove possession at a 60.6% clip, including a +9.7 individual relative rating. Abdelkader’s rating that season was 56.4%. There is something to think about for this upcoming season."

You're not actually saying anything. You try to, but then you fluff it off as 'something to think about.' The writer ought to think about it, and then draw some actual conclusions. Otherwise, I might as well read hockey-reference.

The writer complains about Abbie as a net front guy, and then suggests that Tatar, Nyquist and Larkin should get more of an opportunity? Again, it's either ridiculous (I don't buy any of those three as net front players) or poorly written. Why would Torchetti taking over the PP suggest more opportunity for Larkin? What does he do differently to suggest that Tatar and Nyquist will bounce back?

Meh. There's a lot more homework to be done before you do any other players.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If Tatar and Nyquist were willing to go to the net, I wouldn't discount them as being effective players down there (especially Tatar, who seems to have a bit more spunk). At times Hudler played down there and was very good at it, knowing how to find soft spots behind the D, and put himself into position to smack in rebounds, retrieve pucks, etc. He was small and slow, but he was so bloody smart about it that he made it work.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Based on a few other articles on other players and "Arizona Coyotes Legend", I'm starting to think there aren't any actual writers on this site.

It seems like it's sample articles that include formulas for *enter goals here* and *enter team here* surrounded by hockey buzzwords and hoping no one notices

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
If Tatar and Nyquist were willing to go to the net, I wouldn't discount them as being effective players down there (especially Tatar, who seems to have a bit more spunk). At times Hudler played down there and was very good at it, knowing how to find soft spots behind the D, and put himself into position to smack in rebounds, retrieve pucks, etc. He was small and slow, but he was so bloody smart about it that he made it work.

I think Tatar would get tossed around by just about everyone, but that might be because he spent most of last year skating really out of control on zone entries and was consequently really off balance at times. Or I'm biased because I remember Homer getting beat up in front of the net, and I think Tatar and Nyquist are too soft to take that kind of beating.

I don't think they're bad players, but I don't think either would excel, at all, in that role.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

You didn't sense the smallest bit of sarcasm there? Really?

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

"The Red Wings did transition to a new system under Jeff Blashill, but Helm’s drop in possession numbers from ’14-15 to ’15-16 was alarming. On Datsyuk’s wing last year, naturally his Corsi-for percentage was 57.4% but individually he was a +5.3. On the now-KHLer’s wing this past season as Jeff Blashill’s third most consistent trio (5.4%)"

Come on, that's terrible writing. What, specifically, do you mean by last year vs. 'this past season'? Why are you mixing so many different measurement quantities? What are you actually trying to say, and why is it such a seeming struggle to say it?

Again, I feel like an article like this is borderline useless if all it does it ask *me* questions. Y'all should be answering them and telling me what you think, otherwise, why am I bothering?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek humor. I just hate the stupid rule that made something like that necessary.

You guys are so upset. I thought that joke was hilarious :P

I also do not like how these articles are written. The information is jumbled and the writer could use some sentence structure advice

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Tatar would get tossed around by just about everyone, but that might be because he spent most of last year skating really out of control on zone entries and was consequently really off balance at times. Or I'm biased because I remember Homer getting beat up in front of the net, and I think Tatar and Nyquist are too soft to take that kind of beating.

I don't think they're bad players, but I don't think either would excel, at all, in that role.

Tatar wouldn't be able to stand directly in front of the goalie, but that probably isn't how he should approach it. It goes back to being smart enough to position yourself at the net and to be effective down there within his skillset. He might not be able to do it, and it would take the right combination of linemates for it to even be an option.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Well technically he is a Coyote and he is a legend. Pretty sure it was just trolling

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If Vanek gives us 15-20 goals, that is about as much as we can hope for. Anything more and maybe we have a really good season.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Doesn't he technically play for the Coyotes along with Jakob Chychrun?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad