Friedman: Detroit is "open for business"

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
4. Heard through the gossip line that a few teams had reached out to Detroit about Andreas Athanasiou when there were some battles over his ice time. Red Wings GM Ken Holland wouldn’t comment, but another team indicated he told them not to even bother asking unless “a 22-year-old top-pair defenceman†was part of the conversation. The Wings have told clubs they are “open for business,†but won’t consider moving any of their young offensive cornerstones unless that kind of player is potentially available. My sense is the same goes for Petr Mrazek. Thomas Vanek likely goes (and could come back in the summer). They will discuss re-signing Brendan Smith in the next few days before a decision on trading him.

5. I’m also not certain Detroit will trade Mike Green. He’s got one year to go on his contract, and they need offence from the defence. He delivers. In fact, it’s possible they discuss a short extension, as he’s eligible for a new deal on July 1.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-red-wings-telling-teams-theyre-open-business/

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Wing fans should be happy that Holland is willing to trade Vanek.

I know some Wings fans were scared that Holland was just going to stand pat and not trade Vanek for assets.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Some of us Isles fans are wondering about Steve Ott now that Cizikas is out for a month. I'd give them a 5th.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Bet Holland wish he had Jakob Chychrun right about now....

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
crosses fingers... please kenny, sell what you can on vets and try to throw kronwall in a trade. helm and ab should be available hope somone bites

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Some of us Isles fans are wondering about Steve Ott now that Cizikas is out for a month. I'd give them a 5th.

sounds right......Islanders could use his size and grit on the 4th line ...this truly sounds like fit

ClappysFromTheHashys

Feb 15, 2017
Hows Sheahan on draws?

He is average across the board (FOs, O, D) but he is phenomenal at pulling off a tinky winky costume.

Holland should gladly accept.

Bet Holland had wish he had Jakob Chychrun right about now....

Remember when people said he fleeced Chayka on that deal :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Loimike

Feb 26, 2013
Toronto
Because teams just love to trade those young top-pair defencemen, eh Holland ? :handclap: He will probably not trade anyone and instead sign them to long, ridiculous deals.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Bet Holland had Jakob Chychrun right about now....

I've been frustrated by Holland for 5+ years now but I'll defend him on that one. He got one hell of a return. Got a 2nd and dumped $8M in cap for moving down from 16 to 20. I remember teams were reportedly asking for a 1st to take on datysuk's contract a few weeks before the draft. The fact that a promising player was drafted there doesn't change that it was a solid move at the time.

ClappysFromTheHashys

Feb 15, 2017
Petr Mrazek and Mantha to Calgary.

Hamilton and Bennett going the other way?

I've been frustrated by Holland for 5+ years now but I'll defend him on that one. He got one hell of a return. Got a 2nd and dumped $8M in cap for moving down from 16 to 20. I remember teams were reportedly asking for a 1st to take on datysuk's contract a few weeks before the draft. The fact that a promising player was drafted there doesn't change that it was a solid move at the time.

Would have been fine if he didn't make a reach at 20.

Last edited by a moderator:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Yeah, I was disappointed that the result was that we had to pass on Chychrun, but it was a move that made and still makes sense. And while Cholowski isn't really doing anything special, Hronek has looked pretty good in the OHL. They are definitely longer projects, but I'm willing to let it play out before making judgement.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't mind him keeping Green, he's been good for us. Smith can go.

I think the idea of selling older/short-term players in order to recuperate longer term assets is what your goal should be, no?

Re-signing Green to a longer term contract as a 32 year old next season is pretty much the last thing you guys need. Don't you have enough of bloated contracts holding you down?

My opinion, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad