OT: Detroit files for bankruptcy

PinkPanther

Apr 5, 2007
I heard about that today on the news. Didn't realize how dire the situation in the City of Detroit was. Funny, the first thing I thought of Alfie moving there. Don't know if I've ever heard of a City declaring bankruptcy. I worked for municipal government for a long time, lots of overhead but they rake in billions in revenue too. Sad times in Detroit.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I told people about how screwed Detroit really is right before Alfie actually signed.

Someone thought I was just making things up...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I heard about that today on the news. Didn't realize how dire the situation in the City of Detroit was. Funny, the first thing I thought of Alfie moving there. Don't know if I've ever heard of a City declaring bankruptcy. I worked for municipal government for a long time, lots of overhead but they rake in billions in revenue too. Sad times in Detroit.

Detroit hasn't had the money for a few years now to even replace the burnt out street lights in many areas. There are streets in Detroit that are nearly pitch black at night. I guess that's why they had over 180 homicides in 2012. Pretty damned scary. :amazed:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I'm sure it's been mentioned but Alfie will not likely be living in the city proper. He'll be in the places that have not declared bankruptcy (ie. the suburbs around Detroit) with the rest of the 'haves'.

stevrock

Jun 9, 2013
Something tells me that athletes making 6 million per season wont be as hard done by as the average citizen.

They've taxed corporations and the middle class out of their city.

What makes you think they won't move on to the larger fish?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
People said Alfie Will most likely live in Oakland county anyways which is one of the richest parts of the USA and Detroit is technically Wayne county.

Droc

Classless
Jul 17, 2010
In my house.
Leaves high income luxury neighborhood to raise family in city that went from over 2m people to 700k. A city where they only have enough drivers for 1/3 their ambulances and they dont even put out fires, just keep it from spreading from one desolate building to the next. I cant see why you wouldnt want to expose your kids to the extreme crime and absolute poverty.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The chances of Alfie living in downtown Detroit are probably zero. I work for Oakland County, the adjoining county, and we have our budget balanced already through 2018 and are known as one of the most technologically advanced counties in the nation. Were still working on our free wireless program so everyone has access to free wireless throughout the entire county. Detroit I believe is the 4th city in the U.S. to declare bankruptcy, I believe Stockton, California is another one.

Detroit is a pretty messed up city, but there are actually parts of the city where I would live easily that are being invested in pretty heavily. One of the big problems is the high property taxes, and no one actually living there or being able to pay those property taxes. Most people are hoping the emergency financial manager can turn things around, the city of pontiac has one, well their second one, and he seems to be turning things around. The city council in Detroit is a pretty big joke and are as corrupt as corrupt can be, yet citizens don't care and just keep voting the same people in, it's very weird.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Leaves high income luxury neighborhood to raise family in city that went from over 2m people to 700k. A city where they only have enough drivers for 1/3 their ambulances and they dont even put out fires, just keep it from spreading from one desolate building to the next. I cant see why you wouldnt want to expose your kids to the extreme crime and absolute poverty.

Rich people dont live in poverty area's.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I know many have said not too surprising, but if you visit the Detroit forum, you get the impression that you could have predicted this actually about half a century ago :laugh:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad