A Rockwellian Pleasantville
To Detroit:
Derek Stepan
Antti Raanta
Michael Grabner

To Arizona:
Luke Glendening
Dylan MacIlrath

Detroit gets some quality veteran players that can really help their team, and be good for their youngsters. Help those players get experience in more competitive games, and have a more competitive season.

Arizona gets a ton of cap relief.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Just for a little context.

Stepan (1 yr 6.5M) + Raanta (1 yr 4.25M) + Grabner (1 yr 3.35M) = 14.1M

Glendening (1 yr 1.8M)

So 12.3M in cap savings for Arizona. I think we could use Stepan and Raanta as a stop gap.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't mind taking on salary but I don't see the need for those veteran players. I would much rather be getting a pick out of it. I just don't see the incentive for Detroit.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
I don't mind taking on salary but I don't see the need for those veteran players. I would much rather be getting a pick out of it. I just don't see the incentive for Detroit.
The incentive is that all three are on expiring contracts. All three can help you stay in games. Stepan is an excellent defensive forward and renowned leader. Grabner is an elite penalty killer and ever present short handed threat. When he’s healthy, Raanta puts up top 5 goalie numbers in the NHL.

These guys are tailor-made to help mitigate the mistakes skilled young players make. To help support them and keep them from getting too badly burned. Edmonton failed to insulate their young stars for many years. And it cost them dearly. Detroit would be wise to avoid this trap. These young players need to learn how to win in the NHL.

It’s a good deal for Detroit because it costs them nothing. They get the support, and mentorship from these vets for a season. Given that they all have expiring contracts, Detroit can decide to flip them for assets at the deadline, ride out the season with them, or sign them to cheaper contracts than they’re on.

This isn’t a typical dump of useless players. That’s why you don’t need draft pick now. You can actually get picks later. Teams will actually want these guys at the deadline. Because they’re good players. And they’re on expiring deals. And Detroit can retain salary.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe Buffalo would be interested in package Stepan + Raanta, we need 2C and goalie.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I don’t know which players Arizona needs. We have extra RDs, prospects and picks.
At this point, Arizona will just take salary cap relief. Maybe something around William Borgen and a late round pick for Stepan and Raanta?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The incentive is that all three are on expiring contracts. All three can help you stay in games. Stepan is an excellent defensive forward and renowned leader. Grabner is an elite penalty killer and ever present short handed threat. When he’s healthy, Raanta puts up top 5 goalie numbers in the NHL.

These guys are tailor-made to help mitigate the mistakes skilled young players make. To help support them and keep them from getting too badly burned. Edmonton failed to insulate their young stars for many years. And it cost them dearly. Detroit would be wise to avoid this trap. These young players need to learn how to win in the NHL.

It’s a good deal for Detroit because it costs them nothing. They get the support, and mentorship from these vets for a season. Given that they all have expiring contracts, Detroit can decide to flip them for assets at the deadline, ride out the season with them, or sign them to cheaper contracts than they’re on.

This isn’t a typical dump of useless players. That’s why you don’t need draft pick now. You can actually get picks later. Teams will actually want these guys at the deadline. Because they’re good players. And they’re on expiring deals. And Detroit can retain salary.
If we could get early round draft picks from it, I'm all for it. Otherwise I would rather be charging teams 1st rounders for a typical cap dump if possible. Detroit doesn't need 1 year players to help mentor this team. They would be better off getting picks imo.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
To Detroit:
Derek Stepan
Antti Raanta
Michael Grabner

To Arizona:
Luke Glendening
Dylan MacIlrath

Detroit gets some quality veteran players that can really help their team, and be good for their youngsters. Help those players get experience in more competitive games, and have a more competitive season.

Arizona gets a ton of cap relief.

Rather not trade MacIlrath. Need someone who can actually fight if need be.

Also, maybe no on Grabner. Need some spots for all the wingers Detroit has.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
If we could get early round draft picks from it, I'm all for it. Otherwise I would rather be charging teams 1st rounders for a typical cap dump if possible. Detroit doesn't need 1 year players to help mentor this team. They would be better off getting picks imo.
I don't see any reason you can't get picks out of Stepan, Raanta or Grabber by the end of the year. They will all be given chances to look good playing with some of the best opportunities you can get. That might let them put up some numbers to get some GMs to over value them. Easily better than you would get for Glenny or McIlrath.

Plus we don't have to watch Filp and Neilsen suck wind at 2C.

I take this deal and run as a Wings fan.

rt

May 13, 2004
Rather not trade MacIlrath. Need someone who can actually fight if need be.

Also, maybe no on Grabner. Need some spots for all the wingers Detroit has.
I’d be happy to drop McIlrath. I put him in there just for another contract. Could do Lashoff instead of that’s better. Just looking for an AHL body with no trade value.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
At this point, Arizona will just take salary cap relief. Maybe something around William Borgen and a late round pick for Stepan and Raanta?
I think that some kind of salary should return to Arizona, because almost 11M is quite a lot.

rt

May 13, 2004
This isn’t a typical dump. These guys can play and are good. They are very likely to have some deadline value. Also, if you think stockpiling the most picks is what pulls teams out of rebuilds, you’re mistaken.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The incentive is you get higher cap numbers with lower actual cash and Detroit can improve to only missing the playoffs by 30 points and they all walk in 2021.

I am guessing Detroit fan would rather spend on Krug plus.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think that some kind of salary should return to Arizona, because almost 11M is quite a lot.
That defeats the purpose. We are giving away good players that make us a better team and we’re offering them for free. The ONLY return we want is cap space. That’s it.

Obviously the point of this whole thing is to try to re-sign Hall.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't see any reason you can't get picks out of Stepan, Raanta or Grabber by the end of the year. They will all be given chances to look good playing with some of the best opportunities you can get. That might let them put up some numbers to get some GMs to over value them. Easily better than you would get for Glenny or McIlrath.

Plus we don't have to watch Filp and Neilsen suck wind at 2C.

I take this deal and run as a Wings fan.
Like I said, if we could get those high picks for those players, I'm all for it. My concern is those players playing on a very bad Detroit team diminishing their trade value. It would be a lot easier targeting conventional cap dumps for the guaranteed high round draft pick imo.

rt

May 13, 2004
The incentive is you get higher cap numbers with lower actual cash and Detroit can improve to only missing the playoffs by 30 points and they all walk in 2021.

I am guessing Detroit fan would rather spend on Krug plus.
Well. Yeah. Kruger would obviously be much better than this package. Haha. So if that’s in the cards, I don’t blame them. :)

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This isn’t a typical dump. These guys can play and are good. They are very likely to have some deadline value. Also, if you think stockpiling the most picks is what pulls teams out of rebuilds, you’re mistaken.
So what would the point of taking on these players be other than flipping them for picks? Do you honestly think 1 year of these players will help with the rebuild if they weren't flipped?

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I’d be happy to drop McIlrath. I put him in there just for another contract. Could do Lashoff instead of that’s better. Just looking for an AHL body with no trade value.

Sure thing. How about Turgeon instead. Can be a good depth player. Lashoff works too.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I explained why. And no.
Because he fights in the AHL?

He has 29 NHL games in the last 4 seasons. You can find this player in any AHL trash heap. Go sign Anthony Peluso and have a real threat to fight and he's not being relied on to play defense.

McIlrath isn't a reason to not improve your team.

Reactions: njx9

rt

May 13, 2004
So what would the point of taking on these players be other than flipping them for picks? Do you honestly think 1 year of these players will help with the rebuild if they weren't flipped?
Yes. Absolutely I do. You do not want your young stars getting absolutely run the f*** over game after game, season after season. As I said, this particular trio is tailor made to cover up the mistakes of young stars. Stepan never makes a mistake, is always in the right spot, and is basically a coach already. Grabner turns bad penalties into goals for. There aren’t more than six or seven goalies in the world better than Raanta when he’s healthy. He can keep you in games all by himself if he’s not hurt.

Your young players need room to make mistakes without it costing them games. Your young players needs to understand what it is to be competitive in games. These guys help that.

Please don’t take this as advice from a Coyotes fan. I know my team is trash. I hate how it’s been run. But I’m a hockey fan first. I honestly think that bringing in the right kinds of veterans can absolutely help young stars.

These vets won’t take minutes from them. They aren’t going to take opportunities from them. They’re perfect safety-net support players for a young team trying to turn blue chip prospects into real-life pros.

Reactions: tgo0 and TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad