New York Islanders: Determined to Succeed

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=649726

Brad Boyes arrived Thursday morning at Islanders Iceworks ready for action.

For the last few months, the Islanders forward has been back and forth between New York, where he participated in the NHLPA meetings, and Toronto, where he worked out daily with several NHLers. With the back-and-forth traveling behind him, Boyes is on Long Island with his teammates with one thing on his mind.

“I’m looking forward to games,†Boyes said, following the team’s informal skate at Iceworks. “I’ve been practicing for about four months, so I’m getting tired of that. You can only get so excited when it comes to 4-on-4 and 3-on-3 drills, so I think when we get to real games that’ll be a little bit more fun.â

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I read this earlier. If Boys can go back clos to his 07-09 for with Tavares as his center we might be in for a treat...

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I just don't like the makeup of that line. JT is going to have to carry the burden of puck possession (which he's great at), however, teams will zone in on him and I'm wondering if that will stifle his space and time/wear him down/render him less effective. Moulson, Boyes and JT thrive in working the front of the net, and JT will be the fastest one on that line. We'll see.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I read this earlier. If Boys can go back clos to his 07-09 for with Tavares as his center we might be in for a treat...

And if I grew wings I could fly.

Don't hold your breath. That he was acquired as some sort of answer to the question of who plays next to Tavares only makes the chances of his utter failure and eventual demonizing on all Islander boards about 80%.

I hope I am wrong, but I will not be surprised in two months when people are dragging his name through the mud.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
And if I grew wings I could fly.

Don't hold your breath. That he was acquired as some sort of answer to the question of who plays next to Tavares only makes the chances of his utter failure and eventual demonizing on all Islander boards about 80%.

I hope I am wrong, but I will not be surprised in two months when people are dragging his name through the mud.

Sorta like were dragging Parenteau's name through the mud?

:sarcasm:

I'm willing to give the guy a chance, not saying it's going to work out, but Snow has a kind of knack for these kinds of signings so I'll give him the BOTD

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Im not asking for a 40 goal scorer but the guy has hit 40 goals and 30 goals before so I dont see why he cant get 25 goals on JT's wing

GusTheo

Sep 14, 2011

I'm willing to give the guy a chance, not saying it's going to work out, but Snow has a kind of knack for these kinds of signings so I'll give him the BOTD

THIS!

PAP was absolutely destroyed by Isles fans his first year here.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
THIS!

PAP was absolutely destroyed by Isles fans his first year here.

Which he deserved, he was not a smart hockey player and gave up the puck alot. Stats are not everything. He is a flawed player.

He played alot better last year but I am not sure he is going to do as well stat wise in Colorado.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I think Boyes will surprise and impress. The last time he had a monster year he played with a slick little passer - Paul Kariya.

If he gets a chance with JT, he'll do well.

I remember when he was drafted by the Leafs and how much improvement he'd shown in the AHL, before he was traded. He was very highly thought of by coaches as well.

I'm not sure how things went so south for him in BUF but they were a team where several players have underachieved lately.

This is a perfect scenario for a player like Boyes.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I think Boyes will surprise and impress. The last time he had a monster year he played with a slick little passer - Paul Kariya.

If he gets a chance with JT, he'll do well.

I remember when he was drafted by the Leafs and how much improvement he'd shown in the AHL, before he was traded. He was very highly thought of by coaches as well.

I'm not sure how things went so south for him in BUF but they were a team where several players have underachieved lately.

This is a perfect scenario for a player like Boyes.

Boyes gets open. He has a good shot. There's his game.....get him a smart partner and he can play. His defense is adequate and he has a good pass in front. There we have Moulson.

It's a good fit.

And we berated Parenteau a lot. I liked his offense but hated his passing. Eventually, he got a lot better with JT and we saw some nice tic-tac-toe passing when JT, MM and PAP learned eachother's mannerisms out there. Boyes could benefit a lot.

I'll predict 20 goals this year. It's a lot, but I like Cappy's gameplan on offense, and hope his physical gameplan returns. I'd like to see a tougher Isles team just to have a well rounded core. Marty brings patient defense with AMac; Boyes and Bailey and hopefully Okposo bring two dimensional offense. Nielson brings our defensive checking line yet again. Grabner brings speed and scoring. Streit and Viz bring our powerplay back from the dead.

Now if only we heard Rick was taking time off from camp....like five months.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Boyes gets open. He has a good shot. There's his game.....get him a smart partner and he can play. His defense is adequate and he has a good pass in front. There we have Moulson.

It's a good fit.

And we berated Parenteau a lot. I liked his offense but hated his passing. Eventually, he got a lot better with JT and we saw some nice tic-tac-toe passing when JT, MM and PAP learned eachother's mannerisms out there. Boyes could benefit a lot.

I'll predict 20 goals this year. It's a lot, but I like Cappy's gameplan on offense, and hope his physical gameplan returns. I'd like to see a tougher Isles team just to have a well rounded core. Marty brings patient defense with AMac; Boyes and Bailey and hopefully Okposo bring two dimensional offense. Nielson brings our defensive checking line yet again. Grabner brings speed and scoring. Streit and Viz bring our powerplay back from the dead.

Now if only we heard Rick was taking time off from camp....like five months.

Is this bizarro OTH posting? Unusually positive outlook there no? And for the first time in a while, I disagree with you(but only re: boyes).

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Is this bizarro OTH posting? Unusually positive outlook there no? And for the first time in a while, I disagree with you(but only re: boyes).

No, I got what I wanted. Parenteau I was right on....he did put up offense and played well enough and Boyes could very well return to form with an extremely good center.

And with Martinek back (happy about that) and Streit further along after his injury, Viz being forced back (he will be), we have a Nolanesque lineup. No Gorton, no Sim types, some toughness.....the only bad part is the wheelchair on the ramp for the backup.

I say, "good hockey." I think Cappy with Weight and Thompson sounds solid. Could we have a better coach/coaches? Sure, but we have the ideal coaching style and a well rounded lineup.

Now we should hope they hit and fight as we have in the past. Especially given the additions and OBVIOUS need in the East, especially our division.

When they play like poofkah's, I will resume scalding them.:D

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Brad Boyes Brad Boyes, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when we come for you?

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
No, I got what I wanted. Parenteau I was right on....he did put up offense and played well enough and Boyes could very well return to form with an extremely good center.

And with Martinek back (happy about that) and Streit further along after his injury, Viz being forced back (he will be), we have a Nolanesque lineup. No Gorton, no Sim types, some toughness.....the only bad part is the wheelchair on the ramp for the backup.

I say, "good hockey." I think Cappy with Weight and Thompson sounds solid. Could we have a better coach/coaches? Sure, but we have the ideal coaching style and a well rounded lineup.

Now we should hope they hit and fight as we have in the past. Especially given the additions and OBVIOUS need in the East, especially our division.

When they play like poofkah's, I will resume scalding them.:D

So you'll be back to yourself by February, got it ;)

Gleb2006

Aug 11, 2010
10 goals would be about expectations
15 would be great
20-22 would be amazing
any more would have me waking up from a dream

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Sometimes he has an eye, sometimes not. As rightfully pointed out by you, Parenteau had his warts and received criticism for them, some deserved & some not. His last year was a great year. Tell me something, do you remember Pock? How'd that go? Tambellini? Yan Dannis? Schremp?

I can understand cutting Pierre loose if you have a step up envisioned, but I don't see that in Boyes who brings an average build, no great skating, no physical game... I expected more than this. Instead we get a reclamation project.

Someone please tell me why we can't acquire something better both on offense or defense via trade? All we get is draft picks and reclamation projects, or old bandaids. That's basically the Islanders since Snow said the word "rebuild."

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hey now, considering the circumstances and how bad the team was back then, Yann Danis did a perfectly acceptable job during his time on the Island. Certainly not in a category with Pock, Tamby, and Schremp.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Hey now, considering the circumstances and how bad the team was back then, Yann Danis did a perfectly acceptable job during his time on the Island. Certainly not in a category with Pock, Tamby, and Schremp.

I disagree, but will concede the point to you if you agree that not all the players Garth brings in are good, and some quite awful.

By the way, your avatar is pretty funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad