Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Pius Suter signs with the Red Wings (2 years, $3.25M AAV)

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
He won't have elite wingers, but Wings actually do have some decent ones. No one that will carry him like a Kane, but he shouldn't complain much if he gets a 2nd line role with players like Vrana/Zadina/Bertuzzi/Fabbri.

Let's be real here Fabbri and Zadina aint much.

EDIT: Z could become more but he hasn't shown much finish in the NHL yet

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Asking Hawks fans here.

Would you have rather kept Suter in a 2nd/3rd line role and ditched Dylan Strome for futures and still go after TJ? Or keep strome, ditch Suter then go after TJ?
Would take Suter over Strome for sure but TJ will be a good player for the Hawks and only 3 years and rids the Seabrook contract

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Suter is super solid and I’m sad to see him go. He’s a pretty smart player who finds soft areas well and has a decent shot. He’s a pretty good two way forward.

He’s gotta work on being more consistent and finding that next level. He could be a great middle 6 guy if he continues improving. Right now, he’s a great bottom 6 C.

f*** you Detroit. You got a good one.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
They can't afford him.

They are slightly over the salary cap according to capfriendly.
Yeah, theyre over the cap because of the rest of their baffling moves. They had plenty of cap space before all of their recent madness, but they decided not to qualify Suter prior to all that... so again... no idea what those guys are doing, but I love it for Detroit.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
For Chicago is the question really Johnson or Strome vs Suter or is it Dach vs Suter? Dach is rightfully going to be placed in a position to succeed and that is going to hurt Suter.

Am I wrong in thinking maybe Chicago didnt see enough in Suter if he is taken away from his extremely talented wingers?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Let's be real here Fabbri and Zadina aint much.

EDIT: Z could become more but he hasn't shown much finish in the NHL yet
Definitely good enough wingers that lack of winger quality shouldn't be the excuse if he doesn't perform well. If you need a Patrick Kane to carry you, you're not a great player.

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
Poor at face offs.....but he came in to Chicago for free, did a good job. He's smart. That helps

Detroit no risk here. Good signing

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I get why Chicago made the call they did, and i'm kind of a Pius Suter skeptic myself. But i still like it from Detroit's end. They're in the perfect position to take a flyer on Pius. They can throw him the sort of money his production probably warrants...and have the roster space to find out just what he really is as a player. How much of this is a Patty Kane effect, etc.? Worst case, they're stuck with a couple years of a substantially overpaid but competent bottom-6 forward. Nbd. They're not really competitive anyway. Best case...he's actually good, and capable of being a solid, productive guy outside of that specific situation, and Detroit have a reasonably young piece to either ship off for more draft capital, or add as a solid supporting piece to the future core they're building now.

Reactions: BinCookin and izlez

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Played with Kane.

If the wings don’t have a player of that caliber he can leech points off if he’s really Dominick Kahun V2

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
If he ends up not being the real deal (product of Kane) Detroit has a ton of cap space, it's only a 2-year deal, and they got him for free.

Hard to find a downside here.

Reactions: Wyzer Plan

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Would take Suter over Strome for sure but TJ will be a good player for the Hawks and only 3 years and rids the Seabrook contract

The Seabrook contract tipped the scales in Johnson's favour. It actually runs for three more seasons. That's a lot of cap juggling. Plus they got a second.

Moving Hossa's contract cost the Hawks assets. This way they got assets back.

Pius played well and everyone in Chicago liked him but if Toews and Dach and Kurashev essentially being able to play his role on the third line, it made him a little redundant.

I think he'll do well in Detroit. He also looks good playing in 3 v 3 OT if you guys need that and was starting to take shifts on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad