Confirmed Trade: [DET/MTL] Jeff Petry 50% for Gustav Lindstrom and 2025 4th round pick

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
importantly to yzerplan is that petry is another building block for the room and team culture , fits right in with the michigan leadership group of larkin-copp-compher-debrincat . yzerman is very focused on establishing his chosen culture , its why he quickly ejected vrana into the sun once he started his iffy routine . this even brings dad petry on board to help redwing popularity amongst the masses . and with a bunch of d prospects coming along petrys there for 2 seasons to help mentor as yzerman wisely eases the young guys onto the redwing roster instead of rushing them up , the 'bc sage' knows what hes doing

*edit - bc as in where yzerman was born , sage as in wiseman
Team culture? If that culture includes not protecting your team mates (ie; when goalies get blatantly run), pouting, and public outbursts when things don't go his way, then he's perfect.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
For a close comparable, I would say that career wise Gustav Lindstrom is in right about the same spot that Xavier Ouellet was in when he moved from Detroit to Montreal.
What was his value if you had traded him for a pick instead, a 4th ?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
You're citing LDs in your list, Lindstrom is a RD. anyhow I'm not a Red Wings fan, I'm just repeating what an insider said. It wouldn't be the first time a prospect booms somewhere else, it's not impossible. I have a good feeling about this. And as TS Quint just said, we shouldn't expect a high return for Petry. I just think Lindstrom is worth the gamble and from the outside it looks like he might pan out, especially with the lack of RD on the roster and Barron and Mailloux probably heading to Laval, he'll have the chance to log significant minutes.

Your argument wasn't that he could boom somewhere else but that he was "stuck behind depth". Stop moving the goal posts and explain what this depth was that hindered this guy even though he played 16 mins a night for three straight seasons and getting plenty of time on the PK2 before being used less last season for not being good enough.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Your argument wasn't that he could boom somewhere else but that he was "stuck behind depth". Stop moving the goal posts and explain what this depth was that hindered this guys even though he played 16 mins a night for three straight seasons and getting plenty of time on the PK2 before being used less last season for not being good enough.

We'll see pretty soon if your interpretation is right.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Fans write Lindstrom off, it's so easy, yet the guy was a very high 2nd round pick stuck in the depth chart, and Montréal's insiders are even saying he'll play on the top 4 this year. I'm not so sure the Habs lost that trade, it feels like you all need your ennemy to be a loser to feel confident.
I hate to talk bad about anyone but he’s been given every opportunity and he just needs that extra second that doesn’t exist in the NHL. This isn’t someone that makes mistakes by over pursuing or being out of position, etc. Those things have a chance to be fixed. Just look at Jake Walman. That’s not the case here.

He’s going to have some good years back in Sweden but that’s likely his best case scenario now.

OccidentalOctopus

Garbage Poster
May 31, 2023
The Trash
If anyone in Montreal is penciling Lindstrom into a top-4 spot, your defense has more significant issues to address.

He's reminds me of a right-handed Cholowski, and that's not necessarily a good thing. He works and plays hard, but he's just not assertive enough, and he's just a little too slow to react under pressure.

He'll find random ways to score some goals, though. Hopefully he finds his game in Montreal, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
If anyone in Montreal is penciling Lindstrom into a top-4 spot, your defense has more significant issues to address.

He's reminds me of a right-handed Cholowski, and that's not necessarily a good thing. He works and plays hard, but he's just not assertive enough, and he's just a little too slow to react under pressure.

He'll find random ways to score some goals, though. Hopefully he finds his game in Montreal, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
1692391725974.png

This is why you hear about this "top4" assignment.
Montreal is still thin on the right side until Reinbacher, Mailloux & Barron develop...
Because the Atlantic is so strong, and will be for awhile, I think Hugues is not in a hurry and will tank one more year to get that superstar forward...

We hear Barron to the AHL a lot these days, Lindstrom is probably just a filler until the young RDs develop. That's probably what McCagg is seeing...
Might as well roll the dices with him...

Btw, thanks to everyone who gave us their evaluation !

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
For a close comparable, I would say that career wise Gustav Lindstrom is in right about the same spot that Xavier Ouellet was in when he moved from Detroit to Montreal.
I was thinking he was like Alexei Marchenko moving to Toronto.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

OccidentalOctopus

Garbage Poster
May 31, 2023
The Trash
View attachment 737028
This is why you hear about this "top4" assignment.
Montreal is still thin on the right side until Reinbacher, Mailloux & Barron develop...
Because the Atlantic is so strong, and will be for awhile, I think Hugues is not in a hurry and will tank one more year to get that superstar forward...

We hear Barron to the AHL a lot these days, Lindstrom is probably just a filler until the young RDs develop. That's probably what McCagg is seeing...
Might as well roll the dices with him...

Btw, thanks to everyone who gave us their evaluation !

That's... unfortunate for Habs fans, though I'm interested to see if MSL and his staff can get more from Lindstrom.

The season can't start soon enough.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Like Kovicavek, Lindstrom has a pretty small window of maybe a year to show he's got another step forward before getting run over by Rein/Mail/Barron. Or not.

If he's our top 4 in two years without taking any steps forward, we are in DEEP trouble. Basically the rebuild and Hughes failed.

But hey, Hughes is a nice guy....🤬

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone who has seen him play a lot comment on Lidstrom shortfall? Is it his skating? Decision making? Toughness? Desire?

Some are fixable to a degree, some are mental, some are never going to get better.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Like Kovicavek, Lindstrom has a pretty small window of maybe a year to show he's got another step forward before getting run over by Rein/Mail/Barron. Or not.

If he's our top 4 in two years without taking any steps forward, we are in DEEP trouble. Basically the rebuild and Hughes failed.

But hey, Hughes is a nice guy....🤬

I think much like the criticism some people are putting on Yzerman for the perception of a slow rebuild it’s just not realistic. when you look at both the Wings and Habs rosters there are a lot of players that need to be replaced before they become legit even playoff teams. When you look at the Habs roster you got Suzuki, Caufield and Dach. Every other player needs big improvement or just will not be contributing to winning hockey in Montreal. That’s going to take time. It’s not going to be a couple of years. Settle In and enjoy the suck. There’s lots of prospects to follow and enjoy their development. Rebuilds don’t happen over night.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Can anyone who has seen him play a lot comment on Lidstrom shortfall? Is it his skating? Decision making? Toughness? Desire?

Some are fixable to a degree, some are mental, some are never going to get better.

He works hard but he's slow when it comes to reaction times and can make bad decisions. When he's at his best I'd describe him as servicable and that just hasn't happened often the past couple of years.

I agree with @Petes2424 He will do well in Sweden once his contract is up. Unless something radical happens to his game.

Reactions: Petes2424

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
yeah I’m sure had we dealt him at the deadline the return would have been significantly better, but that was never going to happen. Just glad we got rid of Hoffman, everything else is just a bonus.
Yeah, the agreement of being dealt before the season was in all probability already in place before the move from Pittsburgh

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really think that including getting out of Hoffman's deal as "value" makes sense. Hoffman stinks, but I don't think you can compare it to dumping a guy like Bailey because the Islanders were focused on trading Bailey because they needed cap space to add pieces to win. I think team situation matters regarding those kind of trades and I don't think that Hoffman's inclusion in this trade is the same thing as someone paying to get out of a contract. I think it's more about keeping the money swap even, considering they were adding Petry and DeSmith for like $6.4 million or so and had to send out money to be able to support that.

Another way to put it, it's the same way that the Penguins included Galchenyuk in the Zucker deal when they traded Galchenyuk, Addison and a 1st for Zucker. Did Galchenyuk have positive value? Absolutely not, but the "value" in that deal is Addison and a 1st and Galchenyuk was just included to make the money work. I think it's the same here with Hoffman.

I don't think Montreal did bad in this deal, it's just the environment of the flat cap plus their determination to trade Petry (they seemingly weren't viewing keeping him as an option) that tanked any sort of value he might have had. But with that being said, they basically got a 2nd and 2 4ths to eat $2.3 million on Petry for 2 years. Is it anything substantial? No, but it's certainly not bad. If they could have kept Petry and retained 50% on him at the deadline, I think they would have gotten way more.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Does this weak return imply that absent retention, he would have had zero value? Would the habs have had to pay to dump petry without retention?

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Does this weak return imply that absent retention, he would have had zero value? Would the habs have had to pay to dump petry without retention?
Not clear how much of the result is the player’s worth or the urgency of moving him for everyone involved.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why acquire him if it came with an urgency to divest him for nothing?
Not having the f***ing toxic rot that is Mike Hoffman on the roster. Hughes basically acquired a few assets at the caphit of what would've been Hoffman's buyout caphit.

I really don't care about Lindstrom, but it does give options to the Habs, if they'd rather have Barron play 22 minutes a night in the AHL than 18 or so in the NHL. If it somehow works really, really well for Lindstrom and he plays like a legit NHL'er, or even a legit 2nd pairing, well... Assets. I have zero hope for this, but stranger things happened. If Lindstrom comes as advertised (I'm going with the Ouellet comparable above), well, it's a perfect player for a rebuilding team, since they don't have a promote a guy too early (or can give Barron bigger duties).

For the record I don't think Barron will be much more than a #4-5 with decent size who can move the puck adquately, but is otherwise pretty vanilla. In other words, I don't think he has much room to grow (other than gaining experience).

Last edited:

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

He's not quick enough for the rest of his game either in terms of footspeed or thought. Its not that he makes bed decisions, he just doesn't quite process the game quickly enough for some one without any top tier tools to compensate. He's perfectly ok as a number 6 D on a team without playoff aspirations, but that's the ceiling of what he's demonstrated so far. One of those guys you can see why they drafted, but he just hasn't developed enough. Seems a good kid, and is at least stable in his playstyle, but probably destined to return to Sweden or bounce around as a 6/7 for teams short of numbers on the right hand side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad