Proposal: DET - MTL/EDM

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I don't think the Oilers would trade the pick unless it's for a good offensive defenseman, preferably right handed. They've been chasing that player for awhile now and it looks like they are going to have the chance to finally grab one in that range or a guy like Wahlstrom who would look great next to 97.

That said I think it's good value. Getting a winger to put with Draisaitl in Nyquist and another young guy who has shown the ability to contribute in AA and still getting a late first to add a prospect to the system. It would also depend on their ability to move money out somewhere else, likely Lucic or one of Russell/Sekera.

RNH - McD
Drai - Nyquist

Is a pretty solid core for the top 6

If Hughes or Boqvist is still available, I'd do 30 + Nyquist for #10 + Sekera. Or retain $1.75M on Nyquist to take on Russell.

... But I doubt EDM gives up #10 if those guys are available, either.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So Detroit guarantees the player they want while the Habs risk it at the cost of moving down from a 2nd to a 3rd...

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The deal with the Oilers is a huge win for the Wings.

But first off, why would Nyquist waive his NTC to go to another potential non playoff team, when he could wait to waive at the deadline and get another 3/4 of a season with his Swedish buddies in Detroit?

IMO, it's a risky deal for the Oilers. AA isn't exactly trending up anymore, and Nyquist could end up just being a one year rental for them. Their only hope might be that if they don't make the playoffs, they get a decent return for Nyquist at the deadline. However, if they make the playoffs, and Nyquist pads his stats parked next to McDavid or Draisaitl, he probably command big term and money on the 2019 UFA market. For the Oilers the deal ends up being a move from 10 to 30, at least one year of Gustav Nyquist and a complete gamble in Athanasiou, while the Red Wings likely get a 2nd very good prospect moving from 30 to 10.

None of it will be close to #10OA, but the Wings can likely get another decent haul of 1st-3rd round picks by dealing AA on his own, and waiting till the deadline to deal Nyquist.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
EDM could afford Nyquist and AA at a combined probably $5.5M. (As Nyquist has retention)

The problem is that package is likely not enough to get #10. Maybe I'm wrong. I just see quantity for quality.

I’d be inclined to agree with you.

However you’re incorrect about the salary. No way can we add 5.5 mil in salary while sending zero back and sign our RFA’s.

We’d have to look at Nyquist as a pure rental and AA is just a third liner with a bit of upside at this point.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I’d be inclined to agree with you.

However you’re incorrect about the salary. No way can we add 5.5 mil in salary while sending zero back and sign our RFA’s.

We’d have to look at Nyquist as a pure rental and AA is just a third liner with a bit of upside at this point.

If DET took back Sekera or Russell would you do it?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If DET took back Sekera or Russell would you do it?

I don't think Edmonton sees moving out a defenseman as a good idea. They are wanting to add a RD, not necessarily move out anyone. Plus I don't think either are viewed as salary dumps, especially Russell, he earned his salary last year and I can't see Chiarelli moving him as a cap casualty. Maybe Sekera if they don't think he can rebound from his knee injury, but remember that 2 years ago he was arguably our best defenseman (along with Klefbom).

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
For EDM, salary cap and roster room says hi. You need to take back Lucic or add at least high 2nd.
Roster room?

AA is a LW ..hed immediately unseat anyone we have pencilled in beside Drai.
Nyquist who plays RW would be the best RW we'd have...and could also fit beside Drai

Easily room could be made for both of these guys....Aberg becomes the 4th line RW or extra FWD...keep Rattie on the top line based on the chemistry he should with Nuge and McDavid

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
AA - Drai - Nyquist
Lucic - Strome - Pulju
Cagguila - Khaira - Kassian

Aberg

10 OA for AA and Nyquist is a no brainer...only trick here is the cap

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yea, Lucic.... It will be a coup if he's able to move him and not include something significant.

Yeah, that's the one Detroit has to stay away from. As it stands their cap issue is blown out of proportion and not that concerning, as the bad contracts start coming off one at a time next year. They don't have any major players up for extension for the next three years after this offseason, so they can afford it. But adding Lucic's contract kinda puts them over the edge.

They can eat one cap dump for the next year or two. Can't do it for 5 or 6.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Did Holland retire overnight?Even though we're talking about dealing with MB and Chia, there's no realistic scenario where I see Holland coming out of this draft with both Zadina and one of those Dmen.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Roster room?

AA is a LW ..hed immediately unseat anyone we have pencilled in beside Drai.
Nyquist who plays RW would be the best RW we'd have...and could also fit beside Drai

Easily room could be made for both of these guys....Aberg becomes the 4th line RW or extra FWD...keep Rattie on the top line based on the chemistry he should with Nuge and McDavid

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
AA - Drai - Nyquist
Lucic - Strome - Pulju
Cagguila - Khaira - Kassian

Aberg

10 OA for AA and Nyquist is a no brainer...only trick here is the cap
nyquist is 1 year away from UFA. This isn't a no brainer unless your intention is to lose another trade when we are left with AA beyond the 18/19 season and Detroit is laughing with a high end d prospect that the Oilers need just as bad.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
nyquist is 1 year away from UFA. This isn't a no brainer unless your intention is to lose another trade when we are left with AA beyond the 18/19 season and Detroit is laughing with a high end d prospect that the Oilers need just as bad.

giphy.gif

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
:wings
MTL 1st (3rd overall)
MTL 3rd (66th overall)

:habs
DET 1st (6th overall)
OTT 2nd (33rd overall)

I would say drop the 3rd from Montreal, or add Karl Alzner going over to Detroit.

Habs fans saying that Arizona could take Kotkaniemi at 5 --- it won't happen. But, even if it did, taking Quinn Hughes or Matthew Tkachuk and getting rid of Alzner + adding another 2nd round pick really offsets that loss.

Kyrou (35 overall)
Thomas (20th overall)
Heponiemi (40th overall)
Donato (56th overall)
Frost (27th overall)
Greenway (50th overall)
Steel (30th overall)

A LOT of the NHL's best C prospects were drafted as late 1st/early 2nd round picks --- so losing out on Kotkaniemi isn't the end of the world. To be honest, I'd rather we draft Zadina or move down and grab Hughes because I think they'll both end up having better careers.

Jack Drury
Jay O'Brien
Jack McBain
Jake Wise
Tyler Madden
Milos Roman
Alexander Khovanov
Jonathen Gruden

Those guys are all poised to go between 28 and 45 --- where the Habs (after this move) would have three picks (33/35/38) which they could also just package into a mid 1st to draft someone else. I would also love to see Merkley land in Montreal, and if we could draft Hughes/Merkley/Drury/McBain/Topping/Douglas we would walk away with 4C prospects, our future 1LD and a guaranteed NHLer if he can get his attitude in check with Merkley.

If I found out Bergevin turned down the ability to add a late 1st/early 2nd because he was scared of getting Hughes or Tkachuk over Kotkaniemi I'd probably blow a gasket.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If Hughes or Boqvist is still available, I'd do 30 + Nyquist for #10 + Sekera. Or retain $1.75M on Nyquist to take on Russell.

... But I doubt EDM gives up #10 if those guys are available, either.

Sekera and Russell are not cap dumps. Maybe slightly overpaid at $1M/yr but not anymore with the cap rising. Nyquist is already overpaid probably by a $1M/yr or so.

For us to drop 3o to 10.. you need to take Lucic.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Yeah, that's the one Detroit has to stay away from. As it stands their cap issue is blown out of proportion and not that concerning, as the bad contracts start coming off one at a time next year. They don't have any major players up for extension for the next three years after this offseason, so they can afford it. But adding Lucic's contract kinda puts them over the edge.

They can eat one cap dump for the next year or two. Can't do it for 5 or 6.

I think I would do it though if the asset makes sense. You can always trade him again later and retain $2-$3 million. With money coming off starting next season, they can work it out where it's not a long term issue. That said, it would have to be a deal that makes sense. If anyone thinks Edmonton isnt going to give up a significant asset to move Lucic, they're not living on this planet. They cant just trade him for another bad contract as some have suggested. There's no point in it from a competitive standpoint as they need to add speed up front, dont have a ton of space with Nurse still needing a contract, plus, you'd be hard pressed to find another contract this bad, for this long.

If they can get a top 6 wing with speed while dumping Lucic, who knows what they give up. 100a is not out of the realm of possibility. Frankly I'm not sure another team does a deal like that without getting the 10th.. Maybe they can get a team like Detroit to give them Nyquist for Lucic and a couple of prospects. It would have to be higher end prospects though. Nobody's going to do it for 'flip a coin' mid tier prospects.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Sekera and Russell are not cap dumps. Maybe slightly overpaid at $1M/yr but not anymore with the cap rising. Nyquist is already overpaid probably by a $1M/yr or so.

For us to drop 3o to 10.. you need to take Lucic.

To take Lucic, you better get a lot more in return than moving up 20 spots in a draft. This isnt a two year commitment. Five years is a long time at $6 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad