Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F JT Compher signs with the Red Wings (5 years, $5.1M AAV)

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
im as surprised as anyone by how well he's doing. i think he'll cool down as the season goes on but if he can keep up a 50 point pace it's a fair contract.

Reactions: Go Wings

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why have 1 version of Andrew Copp when you can have 2 versions of Andrew Copp?
He’s basically Copp but not as good.
Andrew Copp didn’t work, so let’s try again!
Watching them both this season I think it's obvious Compher is better than Copp, significantly so.

Compher has been an excellent fit this season. On pace for 69 points (nice) so even when/if he regresses he should be good for the ~50 points we were hoping to get from him.

Obviously it made a lot more sense to criticize the contract before he had even played a single game.
Exactly. People will say "it's only 19 games" but be perfectly fine with the outrageous takes after a whopping 0 games. A good start doesn't mean he'll look amazing 4 years from now, however by that point his contract will also be a much smaller % of the cap so keep that in mind.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Watching them both this season I think it's obvious Compher is better than Copp, significantly so.

Compher has been an excellent fit this season. On pace for 69 points (nice) so even when/if he regresses he should be good for the ~50 points we were hoping to get from him.

Exactly. People will say "it's only 19 games" but be perfectly fine with the outrageous takes after a whopping 0 games. A good start doesn't mean he'll look amazing 4 years from now, however by that point his contract will also be a much smaller % of the cap so keep that in mind.

I'm glad he's working out . . . kind of. Detroit keeps beating us though so not that glad :laugh:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I’m pretty shocked how good he’s been this season.

I thought for sure he would just revert to the “kind of just there” 35-40pt player he was most of his Colorado days.

It could still happen, but he’s noticeable out there

Reactions: Go Wings

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Well Compher makes 1.1m more than Ryjo, and is signed for 3 years longer than Ryjo, so not sure what your point is. Avs couldn't afford him short term or long term.
It’s why they didn’t try resigning him. It really is. Money.

After Detroit signed him, I went back to see what the Avs were saying about him playing 2C. Nothing but great things. There were articles about how they had their answer at 2C “in-house” the entire time, and coaches praising his play.

This isn’t a player on some sort of streak. He’s too involved in what’s going on, to be a streak. Debrincat goes on streaks. Goal scorers go on streaks. This production is because of his overall game, combined with the opportunities he’s getting to play important minutes.

Those things aren’t streaky type things. He’ll be over 60 pts, as long as the opportunities continue, or injuries don’t come into play.

As for the comments on here, it just shows for the 100th time, how much a certain group of people (on this site) don’t even watch the game anymore. The only question should’ve been, “can he do it consistently?” Not, “he’s just a 3C”, “Yzerman is stupid”, etc, etc.

I do think a lot of the negative comments are more the Yzerman haters thinking he made a mistake, and are always ready to pile on, when they think he’s made one. Well, they were wrong again. As they usually are. Just like they were wrong about Holl, and looks like Gostisbehere too. Who’s been fantastic btw. 14 points in 18 games, and was killing penalties against Boston yesterday.

If he signs Kane to a 2-3 year deal, watch them. They’ll be all over how “stupid he is.” Not caring that they’d just LTIR him if he ends up like Backstrom.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
This is exactly what Compher did last year for the Avs. He played like a 2C until the trade deadline, then he completely fell off a cliff. He also disappeared in the playoffs. Maybe he can play a full season for Detroit, but he was nothing more than a disappointment for the Avs last season.

Reactions: milehigh11

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is exactly what Compher did last year for the Avs. He played like a 2C until the trade deadline, then he completely fell off a cliff. He also disappeared in the playoffs. Maybe he can play a full season for Detroit, but he was nothing more than a disappointment for the Avs last season.

It's better than Compher has ever done anywhere. And is not carried by Rantanen.

Good luck with your bigger disappointment Johansen on the current team.

He is producing even less than Compher after his "fell off a cliff".

Detroit 2023-24 Compher, 20 games, 4+14=17 points (0.85 ppg)
Before DL 2023 Compher, 59 games, 13+29=42 points (0.71 ppg)
After TDL 2023 Compher, 23 games, 4+6 = 10 points (0.43 ppg)
2023-24 Ryan Johansen, 20 games, 4+4 = 8 points (0.40 ppg)

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
It's better than Compher has ever done anywhere. And is not carried by Rantanen.

As long as he produces more than 2 points in a 7 games series while receiving close to 23 minutes a game, I'll be happy.

Reactions: Bender

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Most of the night watching RyJo makes me miss Compher and I was one of those that was sh**ting on him nightly basis when he was an Avs. He was great as our #3C at 3,5M$ but sadly he wasn't the guy come the playoffs when playing as #2C. You would always feel like he was playing somewhere he shouldn't be. Glad he's doing well in Detroit.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

You might want to cool it with this. It’s not that he hasn’t had good shooting %s in the past but he’s over 20% at the moment. It remains to be seen whether it’s sustainable.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
As long as he produces more than 2 points in a 7 games series while receiving close to 23 minutes a game, I'll be happy.
...ryjo is playing in a top 6 that is massively, stupidly better than what compher is playing with...and compher is playing significantly better. Ryjo literally has Rantenan who, without looking at stats, watching his game every day like avs fans, is better than 95% of our roster without question at all. Compher get's to play with Copp and was on the PP2 unit the entire season before the last two games and our PP2 unit barely played at all...

if you're going to just hate to hate than that is one thing, but don't say stupid stuff that you think is going to be a dig when it clearly isn't.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
...ryjo is playing in a top 6 that is massively, stupidly better than what compher is playing with...and compher is playing significantly better. Ryjo literally has Rantenan who, without looking at stats, watching his game every day like avs fans, is better than 95% of our roster without question at all. Compher get's to play with Copp and was on the PP2 unit the entire season before the last two games and our PP2 unit barely played at all...

if you're going to just hate to hate than that is one thing, but don't say stupid stuff that you think is going to be a dig when it clearly isn't.
I guess you haven't been watching the Avs lately. Rantanen has been stapled to MacKinnon on the top line. He and Rantanen only played a few games together. Right now RyJo's line mate are Drouin and Tatar. He's also no longer on our top powerplay unit.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I guess you haven't been watching the Avs lately. Rantanen has been stapled to MacKinnon on the top line. He and Rantanen only played a few games together. Right now RyJo's line mate are Drouin and Tatar. He's also no longer on our top powerplay unit.

If he’d look at Ryjo 5vs5, he’d know he’s not being helped by Rantanen.

Reactions: sethro109

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

It’s been 20 games and his oish% is 5 points higher than his previous career high. It’s not hard to figure out where this is headed.

Reactions: Shane Diesel

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
i definitely have not been watching avs lately and I stand corrected. However, I will say that highly talented players, regardless of their position in the lineup, rubs off on the others around them, regardless of lines, so the momentum from rantanen/mack line should be carried down to the next, then carried more.

To have your second line just stop all momentum or diminish it from the first line should be frightening.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
2 more goals tonight, and may have been Detroit’s best all-around player. He’s approaching PPG status, and with Kane joining, with his and Debrincat’s possession stats/ability, there’s gonna be some open ice for a Compher or a Larkin, depending on who’s playing with those two. Think we have to assume they’ll play together initially.

So at this point, it’s tough to think Compher’s production won’t continue.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad