Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] D Olli Maatta signs extension with the Red Wings (2 years, $3M AAV)

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Holli Maata that’s a solid deal.

1676568248534.gif

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It’s a touch higher than I would have wanted to go, but it’s hard to complain too much about a few hundred thousand per on a short term deal

It is only a slight raise from what he currently makes. 3 mil a season for a 18-20 minutes a night solid defender is about as good as you can get in the NHL these days. He was making 2.25, so it is only a small bump up from what he gets this season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good for Olli and the Wings, happy he gets to plant some roots again. Appears he's over the injuries that plagued him earlier on in his career. Biggest issue when he was with LA was consistency in tougher minutes (they wanted him to be Drew's partner so bad) but if he's settled in down the lineup a little with a regular partner I'm sure he's crushing it.

Reactions: Realgud

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Good for Olli and the Wings, happy he gets to plant some roots again. Appears he's over the injuries that plagued him earlier on in his career. Biggest issue when he was with LA was consistency in tougher minutes (they wanted him to be Drew's partner so bad) but if he's settled in down the lineup a little with a regular partner I'm sure he's crushing it.

When he's been paired with Hronek the two actually have looked like a top end 2nd pair. I've been pleasantly surprised by their chemistry.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Pretty amazing that LA chose to keep Edler over Maata.

It made sense based on price tag at the time, but it's awful in retrospect.

The stay-at-home PK guy made more sense and before his injury he was absolutely excellent. They were banking on pre-leg-break Edler returning and he just has not, he's totally toast. Bad gamble.

When he's been paired with Hronek the two actually have looked like a top end 2nd pair. I've been pleasantly surprised by their chemistry.

Yeah I wasn't very clear there, I simply meant 'non top pairing' haha. At his best on the Kings him and Roy were a very very good 2nd pairing, his issue here was consistency and that's really it. I have no doubt he's very successful being 'very good' at everything in Detroit with a nice fit, especially since he has some age/experience and injuries are in the rear view. Easy guy to root for, very happy for both parties here.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Really happy for him that he's gotten over the injury issues and settled his career trajectory. Always liked Olli

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Solid deal, excellent as a 4/5 D. Selfishly was hoping to turn him into some future assets but no problem with this

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
He was the best Kings Dman in the playoffs. He struggled before the playoffs but seemed to become a lot better during the playoffs. Judging by the contract it seems his good play carried over into Detroit. Happy for him.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
Extremely pleased with this. Hope Walman is next.

Maatta has been very, very solid all season, and has helped Filip Hronek to develop into a phenomenal second pairing guy.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
I was a fan of his in Pittsburgh before all the health issues derailed him, but am I wrong in remembering that Kings fans later hated him and said he was 100% done, couldn't skate, etc? I guess he's rejuvenated in Detroit?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I was a fan of his in Pittsburgh before all the health issues derailed him, but am I wrong in remembering that Kings fans later hated him and said he was 100% done, couldn't skate, etc? I guess he's rejuvenated in Detroit?
His first year in LA was bad. 2nd year was better.
He still gets burned by fast guys. He's smart enough to limit exposure.
He's not playing in a ton of important games, either. Nor will he over the next two years in Detroit.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad