Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Bertuzzi re-sign with the Red Wings (2 years, $4.75M AAV)

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I think this is a good deal and as some have mentioned on the Detroit forum, I think Bertuzzi will he traded as some point before the end of the deal.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Yeah, Bert seems like a heart and soul guy to me, the kind of gritty energy any team would love to add, I'd for sure take him in Pitt.

He is a good player but he has just had some trouble staying healthy the last couple of years. I think he would be awesome in the playoffs.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
So weird that he keeps getting these short term deals. Maybe it's precaution on Yzerman's part but it just seems off

First deal, I think the concern was with his ceiling: is he a gritty tweener or does he have supplementary 1st line potential? There was already a fair argument that Bertuzzi could become an offensive line driver at that point, but the Wings still had all the power.

With this deal, I think the concern is with the back injury: does he rebound and continue on an upward trajectory (I think the raise is a nod to his proven talents) or does this derail him to the point where you don’t want to commit to money or term?

Ultimately, I think it’s just a shitty coincidence. Once he got people believing in him as a legit offensive presence, his back went out. So in a way, he’s back to the proving grounds.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Solid deal. I thought he would sign for around 4.5.
If the Red Wings do trade him at some point they can retain part of his contract to boost the return value

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
In a flat cap world it wont be that easy to trade him IMO
It was rumored that 8-9 teams inquired about him this past season. The only difference is 1.25M in cap and Detroit can easily take on dumps or retain to maximize the return.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
One of my favorite players not on the Pens. Hope he kicks ass but gets traded to us sometime in the near future.

Reactions: LiffLaff

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So weird that he keeps getting these short term deals. Maybe it's precaution on Yzerman's part but it just seems off
Injury plagued season. So not much of a case for him in arbitration.

he did sign a ufa year away. But he got some money for that trade off. Arbitration likely to just be his QO of $3.5 mill. So that extra ufa year is really worth like $6 mill.
Now both Bert and Larkin are set to become ufa in 2023 unless they get new deals.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I think for Yzerman the short term deals are actually better even if they cost more. Bertuzzi is a good player, but I don’t think he’s a foundational type player that you commit to rebuilding around. He’s a strong complementary player and we’ve seen tone and again the folly of committing long terms and dollars to secondary players (ie Abdelkaer). Yzerman wasn’t ready to commit to Mantha as a core piece and Bertuzzi isn’t as good. Smart move, not even considering the injury concern.

Good for Bertuzzi as well. He can prove he’s 100% and really cash in at free agency when the deal is done.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad