Post-Game Talk: Despite the loss, Habs return to MTL with a SOLID moral victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
It's fine to have a different opinion. But if you say his stats are average and he's an average player then you're going to get called on it. Ditto with calling Crosby an average player with average stats... if you say this, you don't know what you're talking about. And no, that's not flaming.

OK , we have to disagree on that one. At this point though, I feel sad to say that ,but I hope they have an horrible season so we can finally be free of the worst GM ever Bergevin

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
As in preseason, this thread will be amusing after 10-20 games.

All these profound statements about Ovechkin having more goals than the Canadiens (clearly, someone expects this to be the case at the end of the season, otherwise what's the point of such statement?), Habs terrible defense (when they'll end up top-10 in the league again) etc. are going to be fun to read.

Instead we're going to get just as much profound discussions about Drouin being at the same level as McDavid. Because exaltation is the name of the game around here.

We have a new defense group, a new 1# center, two young new forwards, one sophomore in Lehkonen and a new system. We know jack **** about how this group is going to perform offensively and defensively. All we know is that we have an elite coach, and that this group (minus Markov) has been very succesful in the regular season 4 out of 5 last times.
Those comparison to Ovechkin are tongue in cheek.. Come on now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
OK , we have to disagree on that one. At this point though, I feel sad to say that ,but I hope they have an horrible season so we can finally be free of the worst GM ever Bergevin
If you don't believe in Carey Price that's fine. But you can't say that he's been average over the years. And it's abundantly clear that he's put up fantastic numbers behind teams that gave up tons of scoring chances. You have to at least give him his due on this. His numbers are head and shoulders better than any goalie.

As for this year... you might be right. I think it's going to be a tough one all around. Our D sucks and the forwards are still in disarray. I think it's going to be a long year.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Price is not worth 10.5 million/year, which will begin being a problem next year.
I think he's worth that much. But more importantly, to Bergevin. Who's job he has to thank Carey for.

Unfortunately part of that worth was amplified by the team's utter ineptitude without him and by Bergevin for building a team who lives and dies by him. Giving Price's agent all the bargaining power and freedom to make such demands.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Maybe someone mentionned it by now, but did anybody notice that Petry was -2 last night, and Weber was at 0, despite the fact Weber was clearly on the ice for the first goal, and Petry was on the bench? What's up with that?

Even NaturalStatTrick.com gave Petry 2 GA and none to Weber.

Most people already know by now that +/- is pointless, but on top of that, they can't even track it right :laugh:

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
On the contrary. Price new contract can be add to the long list of mistake of Bergevin. No goaltender should be the highest player of his team. Number 1 center are a much more important position. Your money should always go to your first center.

I think Bergevin is destroying our club and I believe Price is overated big time. I find him to be very average. In my hockey pool, I think 6 goaltenders were pick before Price. His salary shows 2 things. Bergevin is a idiot and Price is a mercenary. He easily could have take a deal ala Stamkos but he went for the kill.

I dont understand people defending Price. Hes been with us for 10 years and never elevate his play in the playoff. Now people will say we have no team in front of him but fail to realise his cap hit will tie the hand of the next GM for years to come. Other GM are not dumb as Bergevin, no one will want a 10.5 millions cap hit goaltender on their team.

Lindgren at 1 millions per season would be as good as Price

So what would have been your solution? Offer him 7-8M and it's take it or leave it? Truth is MB was kind of force to sign him. You're right that no teams would have pay him that much ( making him untradable ) but at the same time, trading him with 1 year left, we would have had nothing good in return. Even if we would have let him walk and save $$$, usually there is nothing interesting on the UFA market anyway. Would we be better with 15M under the cap next year, and Lindgren in the net.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
this is what happens when you don't improve your team in the off season.....you get the same result as you did last playoffs.....why expect anything different?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
As in preseason, this thread will be amusing after 10-20 games.

All these profound statements about Ovechkin having more goals than the Canadiens (clearly, someone expects this to be the case at the end of the season, otherwise what's the point of such statement?), Habs terrible defense (when they'll end up top-10 in the league again) etc. are going to be fun to read.

Instead we're going to get just as much profound discussions about Drouin being at the same level as McDavid. Because exaltation is the name of the game around here.

We have a new defense group, a new 1# center, two young new forwards, one sophomore in Lehkonen and a new system. We know jack **** about how this group is going to perform offensively and defensively. All we know is that we have an elite coach, and that this group (minus Markov) has been very succesful in the regular season 4 out of 5 last times.

This is all true, but it doesn't mean its a good recipe for success. Drouin had some size and physical support in Tampa, he could really get exposed here. Players like him need room, he is being smothered out there. I don't like the makeup of this team, it looked better with Martinsen, Ott and King than this blanket of smurfs.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well the very

I hope we win the Cup this year. But short of a really deep run then I also hope it's a bad season. No gray, just black and white.

If it's a deep run then MB is proven right and we have a couple or a few shots at the Cup

If a disappointment, like 1st round exit, then MB is out.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If you don't believe in Carey Price that's fine. But you can't say that he's been average over the years. And it's abundantly clear that he's put up fantastic numbers behind teams that gave up tons of scoring chances. You have to at least give him his due on this. His numbers are head and shoulders better than any goalie.

As for this year... you might be right. I think it's going to be a tough one all around. Our D sucks and the forwards are still in disarray. I think it's going to be a long year.

Its all good if it means the firing of Bergevin and hopefully its followed by trading Price, Shaw, Petry, Alzner, Pacioretty and Weber.

Reactions: Da Grinder

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
So what would have been your solution? Offer him 7-8M and it's take it or leave it? Truth is MB was kind of force to sign him. You're right that no teams would have pay him that much ( making him untradable ) but at the same time, trading him with 1 year left, we would have had nothing good in return. Even if we would have let him walk and save $$$, usually there is nothing interesting on the UFA market anyway. Would we be better with 15M under the cap next year, and Lindgren in the net.

I proposed the solution of offering him to Winnipeg for a good forward prospect and their 1st round pick to start the rebuild, or just to cash in his marginal value over an average starter.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I proposed the solution of offering him to Winnipeg for a good forward prospect and their 1st round pick to start the rebuild, or just to cash in his marginal value over an average starter.

I wonder if they would have handed over Scheifele for Price? Then we would have Lindgren and Montoya.

Would that work for us?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I wonder if they would have handed over Scheifele for Price? Then we would have Lindgren and Montoya.

Would that work for us?

They would not have considered Scheifele. Most of the responses that I got from Winnipeg fans were receptive to the idea of Connor + 2017 first coming back to us. One poster had beef with that idea from Winnipeg's side. One guy offered me Ehlers and their first lololol, yes please.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

Would that work for us?

it wouldn't be a heck of a lot worse IMO

is price really 6 or 7 million dollars better then somebody like Lindgren?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
They would not have considered Scheifele. Most of the responses that I got from Winnipeg fans were receptive to the idea of Connor + 2017 first coming back to us. One poster had beef with that idea from Winnipeg's side. One guy offered me Ehlers and their first lololol, yes please.
i would move Price only for a stud centerman.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
i would move Price only for a stud centerman.

i said this years ago and i still stand by it.....price should have been traded after his all star year back in 2015 when his trade value was at its peak.....you trade him for a #1C and an average starter, or sign a starter as UFA.....i always said we will never win a cup with PK, and i say the same thing with price, his new contract was the final nail in our coffin,

the only way we would have won with price and PK is if the team was blown up when they were rookies and built around them.....too late now

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Maybe someone mentionned it by now, but did anybody notice that Petry was -2 last night, and Weber was at 0, despite the fact Weber was clearly on the ice for the first goal, and Petry was on the bench? What's up with that?

Even NaturalStatTrick.com gave Petry 2 GA and none to Weber.

Most people already know by now that +/- is pointless, but on top of that, they can't even track it right :laugh:

Maybe it was an Alzner fan trying to put more screws into Petry.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
I would trade Price for a young C or LD. Habs need to rebuild below average offense, with awful defense even with great goaltending won't make the playoffs.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Relax, it's July we will probably land Tavares or Duchene
Relax, I am giving him till the end of camp to use the cap space to improve the team.
Relax, it's preseason, the regulars are assured of a roster spot, they will up their games once the season starts
Relax, 3 games is a small sample size, by game 20 we will really know what we have
Relax, we will be the big winners at the TDL
Relax, we had poor puck luck and ran into a hot goalie, Chicago is out as well.

I have seen through Bergevin since he hired Therrien and I have posted it for years and I like so many of you are not wrong. Just because we are not NHL gms or coaches does not mean that we are blind. We have a terribly constructed team and yet there are those that take the time to argue to the contrary, do you see something that most of the hockey world is missing? Our GM is the new Rejean Houle but he looks good on tv with his fancy clothes and fake glasses, yes he looks really smart, a guy we should all look up to and respect his knowledge. He has run this team into the ground. FIRE BERGEVIN!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad