Post-Game Talk: Despite the loss, Habs return to MTL with a SOLID moral victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Drouin is the least of my concerns. Too much talent and grit to fail.

I don't know about playing him at center, but he'll be a good one.

Exactly, Drouin is a step in the right direction but so many other moves send us in the opposite direction.

I as well am not convinced he is our guy for 1C if we really want to compete. He simply is the best option at the moment.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm personally giving Drouin a lot of rope. He's new to the team, he's playing a new position he couldn't get into in Tampa, and he's unfairly taking the pressure of Radulov not coming back when the plan was to have both of them. Not only that but he's never been good at his defensive game and he added 15lbs to become a top centre.

The problem is with the team. The team put Drouin in a difficult position immediately instead of putting him at wing and playing Galchenyuk at centre. Or playing both at centre and spreading the responsibility into a 1A/1B situation. Instead it's all in on Drouin, who couldn't prove to be a centre in Tampa, and now has to do it on a team desperate for a real 1C. To put that on Drouin is to be just as irresponsible as the Habs organization.

I would play both at center personally.

We wont win the cup this year. MB should be planning for next year already. We without any doubt definitely need a top 6 center even if Drouin succeed as one. And if Drouin doesn't succeed then we are in big trouble for next year. We don't know if we will be able to get a center next summer. We might strike out on the UFA market like this summer and we don't have much to offer in a trade.

AG is not a center. Who gives a ****? He wont make the difference on a 2nd line as a winger playing with grinders anyway. He's no Patrick Kane. Give him and Drouin a whole season at center with lot of rope. Sit down with them and tell them they'll be top 6 center the whole year no matter what. Give them lot of ice time. Use them on pk here and there when the goals differential is 3 goals or more so they can play minutes where they focus on defense only. Right now they are our only options. There's no guarantee we will be able to get help next year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh, but I don't disagree with that. I don't think Bergevin is following a blueprint at all. It's more like throwing darts at a board while blindfolded. After downing a bottle of Vodka.

Even his choice of beverage is compromised ...

grit_logo-1.png

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I think Drouin would work best with Galchenyuk honestly. Lehkonen could be a good third wheel.

Pacioretty never struck me as a guy that would benefit all that much from having elite linemates. He creates most of his offense by himself. He's not a very good puck handler and he's not particularly good at one-timing pucks either.

I don't know, but Pacioretty-Danault worked well last year, go back to that. Gallagher or Byron on the RW.

Hudon and Plekanec worked well in the pre-season, I'd have Byron or Gallagher with them.

It's not Pacioretty-Danault that worked. The guy that made that line work was Radulov. He was the one that fed Pacioretty, not Danault.

I know it won't happen but the best first line would be Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Drouin.

I don't give much importance of what happens in pre-season games. Eller-Galchenyuk-Semin were great in pre-season and they didn't last long.

I'm really not convinced Drouin is at his best at C, let alone 1st C.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Drouin is the least of my concerns. Too much talent and grit to fail.

I don't know about playing him at center, but he'll be a good one.

I don't believe there is any doubt that Drouin will be good.

What ain't good, is failing to add other quality offensive tools to Drouin.

Reactions: jaffy27

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He already stole the Buffalo game, and did his best against the Rangers.

We have 3 goals in 3 games as a team.

Blame the non existent offense and colander-esque defense.

A team like Montreal needs Price to not give yesterday,s 2nd goal 'cause that goal killed them. That's as bad we are. That's as fragile we are. So while Price is the last of our problems, he STILL needs to bring it more. I have no idea why he can't be blamed solely because others have to be blamed more than him. Don't worry...we do blame them all WAY MORE than him. But he has to be better. Not his fault, but the day you build your team based on him, is the day that not only he has to not be weak, but he also has to make miraculous saves day in and day out, so that our morale isn't killed when the opponent takes an "unsurmontable" 2-0 lead.....Yeah, that's very sad indeed.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I think Drouin would work best with Galchenyuk honestly. Lehkonen could be a good third wheel.

Pacioretty never struck me as a guy that would benefit all that much from having elite linemates. He creates most of his offense by himself. He's not a very good puck handler and he's not particularly good at one-timing pucks either.

I don't know, but Pacioretty-Danault worked well last year, go back to that. Gallagher or Byron on the RW.

Hudon and Plekanec worked well in the pre-season, I'd have Byron or Gallagher with them.
I was disappointed when it became clear that Pacioretty would be playing with Drouin. Hopefully this experiment won't last too long and we'll give Galchenyuk a chance with Drouin.

I'm hoping we trade Pacioretty, something I've hoped for the past few years. It's time to move on, if we could get a decent D man for him, that would be great.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
You think players should get participation trophies ? ? ?
Ya sure that it. Trust me, in my generation there was no such thing by any means so nice try. What I'm saying essentially (though it seems I've already been very clear to anyone who truly cared to read the post before typing a response at the same time) is that 1. I'm going to give the players credit for performing hard and getting no breaks in a game they could have definitely won, 2. In such cases I am going to lay the blames where it belongs which is essentially on Bergevin. Typing this I'm not sure what we're even arguing about, except maybe that I don't want to decide the season on three games.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
A team like Montreal needs Price to not give yesterday,s 2nd goal 'cause that goal killed them. That's as bad we are. That's as fragile we are. So while Price is the last of our problems, he STILL needs to bring it more. I have no idea why he can't be blamed solely because others have to be blamed more than him. Don't worry...we do blame them all WAY MORE than him. But he has to be better. Not his fault, but the day you build your team based on him, is the day that not only he has to not be weak, but he also has to make miraculous saves day in and day out, so that our morale isn't killed when the opponent takes an "unsurmontable" 2-0 lead.....Yeah, that's very sad indeed.

It's kinda funny when you think about the fact that the Habs would be in a tie with New York if the two goals counted, which would be a chance to win the game or at least get a point. But even with that known, Price allowing two goals is still too much from those who want Price to "steal games"

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Exactly, Drouin is a step in the right direction but so many other moves send us in the opposite direction.

I as well am not convinced he is our guy for 1C if we really want to compete. He simply is the best option at the moment.
Sorry I don't see him as even a slight upgrade over chucky. Half the game he was hovering at the blueline like a winger, he has to be behind our red line to help the dmen get the puck out. Has a long way to go.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Drouin gets the chances he's getting because he's French that's the bottom line. Galchenyuk produced more at center and has been his equal defensively (bad), but nobody is calling for Drouin's head right? I wonder why.... doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that mystery. I thought Drouin was playing okay there in pre-season but he's lost now and getting worse so far. He may improve, he may not, but he's not being crucified like Galchenyuk.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
im sorry you want to pin this on price ?????? after one goal went off man mountains skate after a pathetic effort by alzer on the boards and the second goal out " #1C" let his man go as he stood around and watched ?????

Price is good, but he can't pull us out of every fire that our old. slow and soft D put us in. no one can.

The habs might have 99 problems, but price aint one.

I am not pinning the lost on Price but I am expecting him to play at the level he's capable of though and right now, he isn't. I'm sorry but the second goal he let in against the Rangers was a bad goal and a back breaker. To his defense, the poor guy doesn't get any support and obviously this need to be addressed in priority.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
You don't think you should suspect that people that are complaining are actually seeing the results of what they expected and that they are seeing something more than just those 3 games? It's great to hide ourselves between just those 3 games, but I'M still waiting for signs that tell you and others that we are actually going to become much more talented with the same personnel. You are talking about the D and yet, they were still bad. And aside from Weber, the only guy who his still doing his job is the 19 year old rookie.

I maintain that a lot of active posters on here don't even watch the games. It doesn't matter though, the team has to play better collectively and hopefully, they will sooner rather than later. And yes, an additional, top 4 solid defenseman would not be luxury...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Thats a pretty sad final product Bergevin has put togheter.. :(

Im expecting to see alot of empty seats at the Bell center this year.. Usualy I go to the Habs 2-3 times per year but thats the first year Ive basically no interest to spend 1 penny to watch that product.. I plan to attend some Rockets games instead..

Could likely catch every Rockets game for a handful of games in the reds at the Bell Centre ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad