TBN: Despite Sabres’ upgrade in talent, attendance levels lagging

FoSotC

Aug 16, 2010
Fact is, Buffalo is not as much of a "hockey-crazy town" as we like to portray it as. The upside of this is that we're not as willing to support a generally non-entertaining product, which our team unfortunately is at the moment. Things will improve as the team does of course.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Also, lets face it Buffalo is an "old" town. Most of the people who come to games are baby boomers and generation X`ers. They lack energy to push the crowd.

Maybe they should go soccer style supporters. Give a bunch of millenials cheaper end zone seating and have them do chants all game. It's hard to get chants going when the younger people are all spread out at the top of the rafters in the 300s.
The 'soccer style supporter' culture exists in college hockey and it's incredible, so you'd think it'd be an easier port, but it just doesn't have a chance. Done properly, I'd love to see it happen.

A Sabres booster club that could score a section of tickets and round up an energetic bunch of non-******* folks to pump up and inject some atmosphere into the arena would go a long way. Fund it by a team fashion show maybe?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Canadian loonie is way down versus US dollar, this is the number one factor. It has dropped dramatically in the last year. It has killed the market North of border. Plus, the Leafs suck so it's easy to score tickets below face value in Toronto.

I had tickets as low as $30 U.S. On stubhub to a game this year. A weekday but they are in level 100 row 15 around blue line.

If people won't pay $70 for that pair, with this young and exciting team, I really question whether the city deserves hockey. And I truly love going to Buffalo,

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
The place sounds like a mausoleum outside of those brief moments a goal's scored or when they can ooh-and-aah at something .. "Let's go, Buffalo" chants seem non-existent.

Sadly, true. Go to an Erie Otters game if you want an example of what a Sabres crowd SHOULD sound like.(Yes, I know it's junior hockey, but they've supported their team through thick and thin.)

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Everything seems too forced re: game presentation, and it's getting really old to me. Let the game drive the crowd (not that the NHL is helping at all).

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The NHL is boring. The Sabres have been bad and the fans need to be shown something to cheer about. The Sabres play a boring game regardless right now. Forget about paying to be there, I barely get through a full game with Center Ice these days. I mean, how can I pry away from the TV after another 0-0 1st period with one legit scoring chance??

In fact, this team is boring to talk about. Everything we jaw jack about on this board is a futile debate that, if anything we propose had a chance to actually be implemented, would make a difference of somewhere between really bad and mediocre results. It's clear this team has a 5% chance or less of making the playoffs. Next season they'll probably be better but not any more fun to watch. A lot has to change with the NHL and Bylsma before our shiny new toys can get anyone out of their seats (if they develop).

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Another thing is that the lack of "incentives" (think bobbleheads, posters, shirts, etc) hurts as well. Those things aren't necessary in this market persay - but they're a nice perk for kids and families. It's part of the whole milquetoast arena atmosphere.

But mostly, I agree with people saying the product is bad.

chadthestampede

The Humanoid Typhoon
Jan 20, 2011
Nhl as a whole is boring lately, but specifically the sabres. I find myself bored about halfway through the games now and that was never the case before, even in the leaner years. I also half expect every goal to be taken back for one reason or another.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
The NHL needs to clean up its product, for sure. The hooking and grabbing, lack of physicality, and mess of a Coaches' Challenge make for a far less appealing product. With that said, let's not kid ourselves. The Sabres situation still boils down to winning. If they were of their previous President's Trophy caliber, the arena would be sold out each night.

People like winners and the momentum that a great team builds. Just look at the Hawks earlier in the decade as an extreme example. Their "getting better" year was around 12,000 average. Their "contender" year was almost 17,000. And then their first Cup year was sell-out territory. The fact the Sabres pulled this well with two tank years and a mediocre post-tank year is miraculous. In two years when they're at the top of the Atlantic, the line will be out the door regardless of what kind of product Bettman and Daly throw onto the ice.

That doesn't mean the NHL doesn't need to be concerned about it's product league-wide, though. I'm just not concerned about this market.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Fact is, Buffalo is not as much of a "hockey-crazy town" as we like to portray it as. The upside of this is that we're not as willing to support a generally non-entertaining product, which our team unfortunately is at the moment. Things will improve as the team does of course.

I'd absolutely disagree with that.

The Sabres averaged over 18k tickets sold in a season they played for last place. How many markets could do that? There are teams that can't do that when putting playoff teams on the ice.

You could also argue the weather plays a factor. With the exceptionally warm El Nino winter, a LOT of people are doing other things instead of heading downtown.

Yes, the team needs to be better, and they will be. Yes, the product on the ice league wide is suffering, that needs a look too.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
I mean you can't be god awful for the last two, haven't made playoffs since 2010-2011, and expect a super rowdy crowd. It sucks because I remember how loud it used to be in there.

But I say in due time. That home opener this year was a fun game to be at. This is a huge offseason for us. We need to get into a playoff spot next year and get some big talent on this team.

and don't kid yourself, the disappointment of the Bills hyped up season hurts fans morale too, cuz they look at this team and they'd need a miracle to make the playoffs.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Ever since Jeanne Cluade Van Damme made his cameo as a Penguin in Sudden Death, both his movies and the NHL have spiraled downward.

Coincidence?
I think not!

(Brought to you by the "Blame Van Damme Foundation". Blaming Van Damme for everything negative since No Goal)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad