DeSmith should and will hold the net for foreseeable future

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Didnt get a real chance earlier in the season like he should have.

-Goals against is now under 2 per game.

-Last 3 games he has given up 4 goals total, 2 of the those games on the West Coast.

-96% Save Percentage the last 3 games.

And

-Crosby's point streak continues to 9 straight games.

-Pens making up ground for playoff spot as we speak.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I mostly disagree on giving full reins.

I mean. I can't argue against your stats. I could see Jarry going down. But if you are gonna supplant Murray in a week of games.....

I was all for Murray kicking MAF out almost immediately..But that's after nearly a decade of disappointment in goal.

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Ride the hot hand for now, sure, but Murray is undoubtedly the best goalie on the roster and should be given every opportunity to win his spot back. If they're playing similarly a month from now, the job should be Murray's.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I'm all for playing who is playing the best. Unlike the fleury thumpers, I don't care if murray's feelings are hurt.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
-Didnt get a real chance earlier in the season like he should have.

-Goals against is now under 2 per game.

-Last 3 games he has given up 4 goals total, 2 of the those games on the West Coast.

-96% Save Percentage the last 3 games.

And

-Crosby's point streak continues to 9 straight games.

-Pens making up ground for playoff spot as we speak.
No, DeSmith will man the net until he has a bad game. Then it's back to MM.

If the playoffs started tomorrow, MM would be in the net.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Desmith is good but not that good. Last night I saw at least 4-5 times leaving wide open net with Canes' player staring at it but never either receiving the pass, or flubbing on the opportunity. Skilled forwards score a bunch there. Muzz will be in sooner rather than later

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
i dunno. DeSmith looks pretty darn good to my eyes. Ride'em while he's hot. Murray was not exactly lighting the world on fire. Considering what he has gone through having DeSmith (and Jarry) able to shoulder the load for a bit is a good thing. We can ease Murray back in when he is ready. But we can't give away points trying to get Murray back into his groove. There is very little margin for error.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It’s great he is playing so well. Especially with the timing of Matt’s dad. It might be a couple weeks until he starts playing again so at least we have 2 capable goalies to help out.

One thing I did notice last night is he was really aggressive and came out of the net to attack the puck. A bad rebound and they could become easy tap ins. He didn’t give too many bad rebounds though and the D have been pretty good around him in those situations

Reactions: EightyOne

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m sure Murray will get the starting job back soon. However, we should not just play him to avoid hurting his feelings like we did with Fleury for years. Stay with DeSmith for now.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’m sure Murray will get the starting job back soon. However, we should not just play him to avoid hurting his feelings like we did with Fleury for years. Stay with DeSmith for now.

I think it’s more for Murray to decide when he’s ready to play again.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Don't think you're going to see much of an argument about this. Most of the irrational Fleury-posters who used to put their personal feelings about a player over the team, no longer post here.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Ride him while he's hot.

I doubt we'll have to worry about playing Murray just for the sake of it to protect his "feelings."

Dude doesn't strike me at all as an emotional headcase of a snowflake like how MAF was.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
We all know Murray is the number 1 guy once Desmith cools off.

The real question is who will the backup be?

I would send Jarry down and let him play every game in WB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad