Value of: Derrick Pouliot

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Cant believe the Pens made him untouchable in the Kessel deal but were fine letting Kapanen go. I know hindsight is 20/20 but the Leafs dodged a bullet and the Pens took the shot to the chest with that decision.

Reactions: Badfish87

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
That 2011-12 Portland team was damn good. Just look at Winterhawks record during Pouliot's tenure there:

2010-2011 WHL 72 50 3 19 - 0 303 227 103 1 Final loss
2011-2012 WHL 72 49 - 19 - 4 328 229 102 2 Final loss
2012-2013 WHL 72 57 - 12 - 3 334 169 117 1 Champion
2013-2014 WHL 72 54 - 13 - 5 338 207 113 1 Final loss
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Coaches? Mike Johnston and Travis Green. Pouliot played for both of these guys in the NHL (PIT & VAN). These are the guys that made him a star in the WHL, but couldn't help him in the NHL. Can't blame the coaches. Pouliot is trash.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was quite the star prospect on these boards for a while, according to some. Who would've predicted that Mike Reilly would be having a better career?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Hes a place holder for a few more months until we call up Juolevi full time whos been lighting up the AHL.

OJ just needs the development he is getting right now in Utica so DP is literally here for that reason.

He is trash tho youre right.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Hes a place holder for a few more months until we call up Juolevi full time whos been lighting up the AHL.

OJ just needs the development he is getting right now in Utica so DP is literally here for that reason.

He is trash tho youre right.
,,Travis Green is the reason why he is on the team,he loves the kid,and until travis is not the coach we are going to be stuck with this ongoing love affair.
Its a Willie Dejardines /Linden Vey situation thing again.
The kid bobbles the puck like a yoyo,give aways galore,and is just plain dumb at times.Not even AHL talent to be honest.
We are stuck with him.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
,,Travis Green is the reason why he is on the team,he loves the kid,and until travis is not the coach we are going to be stuck with this ongoing love affair.
The kid bobbles the puck like a yoyo,give aways galore,and is just plain dumb at times.Not even AHL talent to be honest.
We are stuck with him.
Yup WD and Vey VS Green and Leipsic and Pouliot

It's bloody pathetic how JB brings in ex junior players of the coaches to get spoon fed minutes when they are barely even NHL players.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
We are stuck with him.

Stuck w him ? He has a 1yr contract.

I gurantee he is done after this year once we get OJ and Hughes in lineup.

DP is getting the ice time thanks to Edlers injury and the fact that we dont want to rush OJ from utica.

We really dont have much other option right now which is fine because Canucks arent contenders

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Yup WD and Vey VS Green and Leipsic and Pouliot

It's bloody pathetic how JB brings in ex junior players of the coaches to get spoon fed minutes when they are barely even NHL players.

Riigght ...
Leipsic has played in 12 games and was a healthy scratch for like a month. He is playing because of injuries to Boeser Baertschi, any knowledgable Canuck fans know this.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Cant believe the Pens made him untouchable in the Kessel deal but were fine letting Kapanen go. I know hindsight is 20/20 but the Leafs dodged a bullet and the Pens took the shot to the chest with that decision.

Pouliot as a rookie, put up 7g/24pts in 31 AHL games. He had also played 34 games in the NHL and had looked decent. As a Pen fan, it was very easy to see why they didn't want to move him. And then he never took that next step.

Also in regards to KK, it's very easy to let a young winger prospect go when you're getting a 1st line winger in return who's signed for 7 seasons.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
All bad teams carry high draft position place holders. The Canucks don't have the depth they need of true NHL talent so they give guys like Pouliot and Leipsic a shot and hope they catch lighting in a bottle so to speak. I don't have a real issue other than the fact that poor asset management in the past has led to the lack of organizational depth, but now that we are here in a full rebuild I don't see any reason they aren't worth the risk. Maybe the Canucks get lucky and find a Gourde, or even another Baertschi. Who am I kidding, Canucks don't get lucky they get the Aquilini's.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

You're saying hindsight is 20/20 when evaluating completely in hindsight. How did the Penguins "take a shot to the chest" with that decision? They still won 2 cups with Kessel :laugh:

Reactions: Giskard

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Epitome of "reclamation project."

He'd be a waiver claim, at best. Don't know to which team.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I have no interest in them winning as I want JB fired. I have made that exceptionally clear all season long. However, I still want to watch entertaining hockey. I conceded earlier that both are getting more ice time than they should because of injury but that doesn't mean that they should be getting as much as they are. Pouliot in particular, get him off of the PP and I am a lot happier. Him being paired with Tanev is also brutal as it moves Pouliot into a top 4 role which he is not capable of. But again the alternative is MDZ so it's a moot point until Edler returns. As for Leipsic at this point it's more just me tired of him going up and down the half wall falling down and turning the puck over. I was extremely hard on Raymond when he was here and doing the same thing so why would I not criticize Leipsic for the same deal. Again his PP time is due to injuries you are right but at even strength he should be stapled to the 4th line as he is a terrible NHL player that continues to stifle Horvat or Petterson with inadequate play. IMO he should be scratched for Gaunce, as Gaunce had one poor turnover that caused his benching but at least was producing while he played. It could be a huge bias on my end, but it's funny to me that the 2 players that piss me off on the team more than anyone not taking contracts into consideration are Green's ex Portland players.

Just shuffling the chairs on titanic imo whether its Leipsic or Gaunce.

If you think Leipsic gives you a headahe on the PP2 then what do you think a grinder like Motte or Schaller will do ?

If Leipsic isnt on the top 6 or top 9 then he shouldnt be playing at all. But scratching him and dressing Gaunce means you will have someone on the 4th line playing top 6 or 9 role. So like i said its moot. We have injuries and this is our reality. Blaming their ice time because of their JR history just doesnt make sense.

You think Green doesnt see what we see ? You think he wants these scrubs on this role ?? What purpose does that serve him exactlty?

Lepsic and Pouliot arent worth the headache or frustration.

If anyone, the frustration should be on Goldobin. He is considered a regular and a staple w Pettersson. He sucks. Turnover prone and soft as butter. However he is someone that will still play when everyone is healthy

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Just shuffling the chairs on titanic imo whether its Leipsic or Gaunce.

If you think Leipsic gives you a headahe on the PP2 then what do you think a grinder like Motte or Schaller will do ?

If Leipsic isnt on the top 6 or top 9 then he shouldnt be playing at all. But scratching him and dressing Gaunce means you will have someone on the 4th line playing top 6 or 9 role. So like i said its moot. We have injuries and this is our reality. Blaming their ice time because of their JR history just doesnt make sense.

You think Green doesnt see what we see ? You think he wants these scrubs on this role ?? What purpose does that serve him exactlty?

Lepsic and Pouliot arent worth the headache or frustration.

If anyone, the frustration should be on Goldobin. He is considered a regular and a staple w Pettersson. He sucks. Turnover prone and soft as butter. However he is someone that will still play when everyone is healthy
Goldobin absolutely has his mistakes as well. However from time to time you see his potential come through with some nice passes. However, I can not say the same from Leipsic. Goldobin I wouldn't mind seeing with Horvat in all honesty, he's more of a playmaker and EP needs someone with scoring to be with him which Goldobin isn't. Let's leave Leipsic out of the conversation for now then as we agree that without injuries who knows if he would even see the ice. Pouliot being still stapled with the 1st PP and with Tanev to log 20+ minutes a night is a disaster. The fact that this has not been addressed is pathetic. Why not try MDZ there at even strength for now, it couldn't get much worse. Why not play Hutton on the first PP instead of a guy who can't hold the puck in, can't make proper passes for one timers and has an equally muffin of a shot.

It's a frustrating time to watch right now with all the guys out- but certain things can be at least experimented with right now to see if they can change some things that are not working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad