Prospect Info: Derrick Pouliot | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | 1st Round, 8th overall

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
dpouliot_tricia_hall-201x300.jpg

Date of Birth: January 16, 1994
Place of Birth: Weyburn, Saskatchewan
Ht: 6-0 Wt: 181 lbs
Shoots: Left

2011-12 Stats: 72 GP, 11 G, 59 PTS

Scouting Rankings
NHL Central Scouting: 12 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 22, The Hockey News: No. 13, Button's Ranking: No. 18

"Derrick is a QB Type defenseman who relies on excellent vision and precision passing. He understands the game so well and sees what is unfolding and then is able to exploit it. He has great poise with the puck and doesn't force things but ensures when you get the puck, that you can do something positive with it. His skating is very good and he has a burst of quickness that allows him to gain a little extra time or space to make a play and he utilizes uses it offensively or defensively. He will jump into the attack and because he knows his options, he can appear to be moving untouched which is due to the opponent having to respect his ability to quickly strike with his passing and thus backing off somewhat. He relies on strong positioning to put himself in the best position to make plays and while he's not a physical player, he's very effective using his body to gain advantages. He has a calm to his play but is competitive and will not succumb to the challenges that come his way. He is a strong puck possession player."
—Craig Button

“The team that drafts Pouliot will be getting a bit of a project, as he seems to struggle with confidence and runs hot and cold from game to game. However, he does hold a skillset that will make him valuable at both ends of the ice.”
—The Scouting Report

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
When compared to the other defenceman in the draft, Pouliot might have the most offensive potential going forward. He's a great skater with good feet, good edges and the ability to play a high tempo transition game. He might not be as strong of a skater as either Morgan Rielly or Ryan Murray, but he's still well above average.

Not only that, but he's a sublime passer of the puck. He is hands down the top passer of any of the defensive crop for the 2012 draft. In fact, he finished 2nd in the entire WHL in regards to assists for a defenceman with 48. With 11 goals to go along with the assists, he finished with 59 points in 72 games.

More here:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2012/04/officially-on-radar-derrick-pouliot.html

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Probably spend the next two years in the WHL.

I'm not really high on him, to be honest. I had him pegged around 15th BPA in the draft, but I'm no scout and I haven't seen most of these players more than a couple times. I've seen Pouliot about 5 times. His offense is great. His passing in all three zones is superb. He makes long passes or he makes short passes right on the tape. He needs work on his defense, his strength (as most 18 year olds do), but also his ability to contain in 1-on-1 situations. I've seen him get burned one-on-one, usually because he gets over aggressive in going for a poke check, a hit or trying to pick off a pass. Physical play isn't that concerning to me, there's a willingness to play rough, but just not the confidence (yet) to do it consistently. I don't hate the pick and I don't love it.

Clearly the Penguins are high on him.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Sooooo, who is the best defenseman that looks to be availabe at #22? :sarcasm:

No real opinion on the pick, would have liked Forsberg but we'll see, way too soon to have solid opinion on it.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
If it were up to me, I would have gone with Trouba, but really what I know about both players isn't worth spit. The ongoing trend at this draft is clear - the defensemen are where it's at.

Those numbers are seriously high for an 18 year old defenseman, though.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't know much about the prospects to comment one way or the other. Figured it would be Forsberg, but I trust the organization. So, good pick! :laugh: If even half the defensive prospects in the system develop, the Pens will have a fantastic squad.

There must be something about Forsberg that didn't impress teams?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If it were up to me, I would have gone with Trouba, but really what I know about both players isn't worth spit. The ongoing trend at this draft is clear - the defensemen are where it's at.

Those numbers are seriously high for an 18 year old defenseman, though.

I had Grigorenko as the BPA on my very unimportant draft list. I had him 2nd best player in the draft, though.

GlenngarryGlencross

Get the chalk!
May 26, 2008
Loved the trade, really dislike this pick. Even if we weren't leaning toward Forsberg, there were other defensemen I would've rated higher. Strange move, didn't we acquire Doumolin (sp?) in addition to Sutter? How many prospect defensemen are we trying to stack up?

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
For people who get worked up over a the choice of a not huge, offensive defesmen, the two top scoring d-man this year are roughly the same size as Pouliot, that being Karlsson and Campbell. Dan Boyle is similar size, as is Shattenkirk and so on. He may end up being crap, may not, no reason to stress about it since he is a few years of development away. It's not like Forsberg or Teravainen were going to be ready for the big time much sooner even if they do fit an organizational need. Shero seemed really keyed in on him and after how well Morrow, Despres, and Harrington look, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on highly picked d-man.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
You'd think think people would be more aware of the lengths teams go to in order to get skilled, puck moving defensemen on their roster. We only got a 40 goal scorer out of a decent one.

I don't know how Pouliot pans out, but the Penguins obviously see something big there, and with guys like Koekkoek and Lindholm also going higher than some suspected, I wouldn't be surprised if other teams felt the same way.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He will be a solid player in the NHL. Just dont see how he was best player for the team at 8th. Him with Morrow or Letang on the PP could be interesting in a few years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Loved the trade, really dislike this pick. Even if we weren't leaning toward Forsberg, there were other defensemen I would've rated higher. Strange move, didn't we acquire Doumolin (sp?) in addition to Sutter? How many prospect defensemen are we trying to stack up?

Moar. Always moar.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
How many prospect defensemen are we trying to stack up?

Just you wait until the Pens unleash a stunning change to the way the game of hockey is played and utilize a 4 defenseman and one of Sid/Geno/Sutter on every shift.

Can't wait.

GlenngarryGlencross

Get the chalk!
May 26, 2008
You'd think think people would be more aware of the lengths teams go to in order to get skilled, puck moving defensemen on their roster. We only got a 40 goal scorer out of a decent one.

I don't know how Pouliot pans out, but the Penguins obviously see something big there, and with guys like Koekkoek and Lindholm also going higher than some suspected, I wouldn't be surprised if other teams felt the same way.

Does Pouliot really project as a Karlsson-esque player? I don't think I see that level of impact. He seems closer to a Goligoski.

Karnage420*

Hate this pick. And Washington gets forsberg.

i just yelled at my TV twice. didnt even do this during the playoffs.
this scouting team is awful. at least trade down. no way any team had pouliot in the top 10.

then washington goes and takes an elite player? awesome.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Does Pouliot really project as a Karlsson-esque player? I don't think I see that level of impact. He seems closer to a Goligoski.

Defense are the hardest to predict with development. Except for the top few in each draft I personally feel they can be really hit and miss.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Damn fine prospect.

Still don't think he's worthy of the 8th pick, especially with our embarrassment of riches in terms of defensive prospects...but still.

I won't even begin dreaming of Karlsson. I'll gladly ask him to become another Alex Goligoski...I hope he does more, but Gogo was a damn fine top four caliber offensive defenseman, who then proceeded to be worth his weight in gold on the trade market.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Probably spend the next two years in the WHL.

I'm not really high on him, to be honest. I had him pegged around 15th BPA in the draft, but I'm no scout and I haven't seen most of these players more than a couple times. I've seen Pouliot about 5 times. His offense is great. His passing in all three zones is superb. He makes long passes or he makes short passes right on the tape. He needs work on his defense, his strength (as most 18 year olds do), but also his ability to contain in 1-on-1 situations. I've seen him get burned one-on-one, usually because he gets over aggressive in going for a poke check, a hit or trying to pick off a pass. Physical play isn't that concerning to me, there's a willingness to play rough, but just not the confidence (yet) to do it consistently. I don't hate the pick and I don't love it.

Clearly the Penguins are high on him.
Probably only 1 more in the WHL I would think. Won't have much left to learn at the WHL level by the time thats over. Unreal offensively, I sure hope he gets to play in some defensive situations next year though, because he wasnt allowed out there this year in them.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Lengthy profile on Pouliot on nhlmockdraft.org.

Cliff's notes:

Strengths: Offensive Acumen, Playmaking, Shooting, Skating, Hands, Puck-Moving
Weaknesses/Concerns: Physicality, Defensive Game, Consistency, Size, Strength
Projection: Middle-Pairing Puck-Moving Defenseman and Powerplay QB (15g, 50p potential)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad