Signing(s): Derrick Brown signs extension with the Panthers (4 years, $96 million)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I don’t get it.
As an outsider who was rudely actively rooting for the Panthers to lose and therefore watched a fair number of their games last season, I thought Brown was their lone bright spot last year. I'd argue that his only weakness last year was that he didn't finish with sacks.

I guess they could have tagged him for cheaper next year, but there is probably value in having him signed for long term.

It's a fair bit cheaper than Wilkins, and that's probably the low end of what he'd get in FA if he would have gotten there.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
As an outsider who was rudely actively rooting for the Panthers to lose and therefore watched a fair number of their games last season, I thought Brown was their lone bright spot last year. I'd argue that his only weakness last year was that he didn't finish with sacks.

I guess they could have tagged him for cheaper next year, but there is probably value in having him signed for long term.

It's a fair bit cheaper than Wilkins, and that's probably the low end of what he'd get in FA if he would have gotten there.

They let everyone else go but they keep Brown who IMO is overpaid with this deal. Just doesn’t make any sense

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Don't really see how this is an overpayment by any metric

I think Brown is pretty terrible, and I’m a panthers fan. I would much rather have used that money elsewhere.

Offensive line, WR, TE, Edge, Secondary, nearly anything except give him that contract.

• Wow
Reactions: MMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad