Speculation: Derrick Brassard

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
i haven’t followed Brassard too closely since he left Ottawa, but judging by his numbers, he hasn’t done too well since he left. Where does he go from here as a free agent this summer? Does he get a contract? Is he a third line centre now? Can he still contribute at the nhl level in a top 9 role? What teams would be interested, and what kind of deal/money do you think he gets?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think Holland would be interested if he thinks Brass is still at least a decent #3c. We need a stopgap there for around 2 years until McLeod is ready to step in and produce.

Id give him a 2 year deal worth about 2 to 2.5 million. Although I think we'd def be outbid on that.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
As long as he isn't on the Avs. Was pretty useless all playoffs, only thing of note he did was set up one goal and take a penalty at the worst time possiible.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He seemed to be bad in Colorado.

Might be good for a team likely to suck to sign him and sell him off for a 3rd.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
As long as he isn't on the Avs. Was pretty useless all playoffs, only thing of note he did was set up one goal and take a penalty at the worst time possiible.

Ditto with the Pens. You'll get a couple of good games (more likely, a couple good shifts) from him. Otherwise, he'll casually skate around the ice and try a nifty move. Obviously, I can't speak about his character. However, I've never seen a player look more like he cares less than Brassard did after coming over from Ottawa.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Maybe back to Ottawa on a 1 year deal, similar price to his current deal? Guess it depends on how close Ottawa are to reaching the capfloor. He can probably get a 1 year prove it deal somewhere for around his current caphit (5 million) but I can't imagine he would make more than 4 million if he signs for longer than a year. Seems to have completely lost his game.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
... Seems to have completely lost his game.

Again, I don't want to make any statements about him. However, the skill is still there. He showed flashes of it while with the Pens. That's why it was maddening to see him play at such a subpar level most nights.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I would sign him for cheap and throw him on the wing with a superstar player. Brassard has something left to give and could use a much better offensive opportunity.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I would sign him for cheap and throw him on the wing with a superstar player. Brassard has something left to give and could use a much better offensive opportunity.

Is MacKinnon not a superstar? Cus Brassard certainly didn't work there. He was given lots of opportunities in Colorado. He isn't good.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
if he hadn't fallen off so hard this year I would love the Rangers to bring him back, he was really popular here and we need some veteran centers to insulate the youngsters, because after Zibanejad its a real mess down the middle.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
if he hadn't fallen off so hard this year I would love the Rangers to bring him back, he was really popular here and we need some veteran centers to insulate the youngsters, because after Zibanejad its a real mess down the middle.
I still wouldn’t mind bringing him back now, was a good guy to have around and our team needs some vet presence

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

I could definitely see him going back to NYR or even Ottawa on a short-term deal. 3yrs 8.5mil max but probably less term and a bit higher average

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He barely looked like an NHL player at times in Pittsburgh. At his best, he looked disappointing. I hate to say this because I've been a Brassard fan since his days in Columbus.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's still only 32. He probably gets 1 last "show me contract". Someone will give him 1 year 1M based on name value alone and hope he can put it together.

Very happy Sens cut bait when they did. With the way they got nothing....maybe even negative value today for Hoffman, it would have been devastating to get a 3rd for Brassard.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
I think he’s on the Derek Roy trajectory and will be out of the league in about two years, unless he has a major bounce back next year.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Damn he must have really fell off from his days in NY he was one of the better playoff performers on NYR during his stay

Reactions: bl02

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ditto with the Pens. You'll get a couple of good games (more likely, a couple good shifts) from him. Otherwise, he'll casually skate around the ice and try a nifty move. Obviously, I can't speak about his character. However, I've never seen a player look more like he cares less than Brassard did after coming over from Ottawa.

I guess you haven't watch Lucic play .

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'd be disappointed if the Pens got him at league minimum.

Fortunately, even as bad as our GM is - I don't see it ever happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad