Speculation: Dermott Ozhiganov second pair moving forward?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
These guy are looking really good together and getting more confident by the day.

Babcock played them 20 min tonight.

What do you think about this pair and the idea of them being our second pair next year?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
These guy are looking really good together and getting more confident by the day.

Babcock played them 20 min tonight.

What do you think about this pair and the idea of them being our second pair next year?
so far so good. Small sample size, but i like what I see. Preserving Haisey so he has something left for the playoffs is critical in my opinion.

Reactions: BM14

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Dermott is doing well. Crazy that is was Dermott, Zaitsev and Oz who were top three in ice time tonight. Our D pairings were really balanced against the Kings. All 6 played between 18:56 and 20:12 tonight. And our D group looked fresh tonight. I look forward to adding Lilijgren to this group, and Hainsey hitting free agency next summer.

Reactions: Its not your fault

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
They've been very good so far.

Going forward they should be looked at as the second pairing. However, they need to settle in to their current roles and prove they can sustain this play forward 15-20 games. 7 games isn't a ton.

Reactions: MarnerPeachFuzz

Pacholeafs

Oct 13, 2018
personally, I think Dermott is much better than Rielly in the D zone. Rielly gets hemmed in way too often.

Plus Dermott's pivoting ability and lateral quickness is insane

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Dermott's puck poise is unreal, he always impressed me with the crafty little moves he makes.

I think Oz just needs to get his bearings under him and he should be good, I would be patient with him and let him make mistakes, but he has gotten better the more he has played.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Dermott has legitimately been our best defender on our team. He makes great reads, and evades pressure seamlessly. He's been very good. The only qualm defensively is he can get over aggressive at times closing gaps 1/10 times.

He doesn't have Rielly or Gardiner's offensive potential, but he's also great walking the line as well.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I'm optimistic, only because he is improving after each game. IMHO he has played into that 6/7th spot but I want to see if he has anything more to give

I want to see his big shot more
He also made one hell of a pass
Would like to see a big hit

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Dermott has legitimately been our best defender on our team. He makes great reads, and evades pressure seamlessly. He's been very good. The only qualm defensively is he can get over aggressive at times closing gaps 1/10 times.

He doesn't have Rielly or Gardiner's offensive potential, but he's also great walking the line as well.
I mean he has also been sheltered in terms of zone usage and quality of competition so it is hard to compare his play to that of the top 4.

That being said he continues to dominant 3rd pairing matchups regardless of his partner. The signs of a pairing driver.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar

Agree completely with your thoughts.

Dermott is good defending. Some hic-ups once in a while, but so-what. Even Doughty tonight was chasing a couple of plays.

He will never be even half as good as Gardiner or Rielly on the offensive side of things.

Right now, Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev and Ozhiganov are really good at the stretch pass. Dermott not as proficient, not his strength. Carrick was better than him at that.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Dermott's progression is vital for the future of the D .. Oz is just gravy if he can be a top 4 defender. I'm happy he's showing he can be a good 3rd pairing guy at the very least.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm sure the plan was to rest Ozhiganov a ton throughout the season, as he's only averaged 61 games a season the last 5 years.

That plan is dead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad