Dermott Discussion

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Word is he is available (along with Ritchie) according to David Pagnotta. Take it for what it is worth, but it does make sense considering the number of young D we have... and what I hope is a #4 coming in near the deadline. Maybe he can get a foot up in another organization?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He's really nice to have on his current contract and role.

But yeah unfortunately I don't see him as a guy who I want in a fulltime top 4 role and with a bigger caphit.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Word is he is available (along with Ritchie) according to David Pagnotta. Take it for what it is worth, but it does make sense considering the number of young D we have... and what I hope is a #4 coming in near the deadline. Maybe he can get a foot up in another organization?

Here's a shocker - I bet the two worst performing players on every team in the league are "available".

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
Dermott is a bit of a disappointment for me. He came out of the gate looking so promising then just stalled. Seemingly for good.
I second this comment. had potential and to me looks like he is getting worse by the week. I have him as #7 when everyone is healthy and maybe behind Marlies guys. I liked the Rubins kid think he can be a solid 5/6 guy soon.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Dermott was spectacular to start the season insulating Sandin while the top 4 was struggling. And he was his usual steady bottom pair self through the teams big run.

He has struggled recently much like the rest of the D. It is disappointing he hasn't been able to take the step into a top 4 guy but based on his career, and this season as a whole he's a very good bottom pairing guy.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is too bad .. kid has da tools .. but he is not learning fast enough .. to me it is sad because he has speed, hands, decent lateral skating skills, some power but bottom line he is not figuring out GAME defensively in his own end and he is at point now where he has played with a good vet partner and had lots of reps .. i would hate it if he is one of those guys who takes 6 years and then lights go on but we can't wait forever and then he busts .. better to get some value for him before he is a bust

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Like most people I think I’m getting to the point where I don’t mind pulling the plug on the Dermott experiment.

But my only hesitation, and I’m not sure if this is based on a hunch only… is the fact that Florida had considered a Weegar for Dermott and Johnsson deal back in 2020. And Weegar has since blown up as an impact defenseman. All I know is Dermott has the tools, and Bill Zito and his staff are extremely shrewd at impact reclamation projects. So if it came to pass that Dermott lands somewhere beside a wiley RHD veteran, gets comfortable on his natural side, maybe adds a few pounds and can handle the trenches better someone could have a player.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dermott is a bit of a disappointment for me. He came out of the gate looking so promising then just stalled. Seemingly for good.

I was swindled on his debut.

It really looked like he had something when it started, perhaps it was because he was being sheltered, given easy assignments. Quite different than having 2 (more or less) rookies as your 2nd. pairing.

He just seems to be the same player today, but maybe it's because his assignments are tougher, or maybe his floor and ceiling at extremely tight.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I second this comment. had potential and to me looks like he is getting worse by the week. I have him as #7 when everyone is healthy and maybe behind Marlies guys. I liked the Rubins kid think he can be a solid 5/6 guy soon.

I don't think Dermott has been a disappointment, look at who they've had him paired with the last couple of games and years. Literally subpar AHL defenseman, if you go back and watch it's been Dermott's partners that have been turning over the puck a lot. To be fair, I really don't think Sandin, Liljegren or Dermott have really proven to be better than one another. They all are in the same category, but for some reason Liljegren is the shinny new toy, Dermott is trash. I'm sure others don't really see it that way, but I think Dermott does have a lot of upside, probably the most out of the three and will probably do better elsewhere with a stable partner. He skates better than both Liljegren and Sandin. Can move the puck better as well, we saw it when he first came up. I also don't think Keefe loves him that much so that also plays a role. If he can clean up the need to be flashy at unnecessary times he's going to be a stud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northernguy10

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't think Dermott has been a disappointment, look at who they've had him paired with the last couple of games and years. Literally subpar AHL defenseman, if you go back and watch it's been Dermott's partners that have been turning over the puck a lot. To be fair, I really don't think Sandin, Liljegren or Dermott have really proven to be better than one another. They all are in the same category, but for some reason Liljegren is the shinny new toy, Dermott is trash. I'm sure others don't really see it that way, but I think Dermott does have a lot of upside, probably the most out of the three and will probably do better elsewhere with a stable partner. He skates better than both Liljegren and Sandin. Can move the puck better as well, we saw it when he first came up. I also don't think Keefe loves him that much so that also plays a role. If he can clean up the need to be flashy at unnecessary times he's going to be a stud.
This is da issue .. but how long do Leafs wait before light goes on???????? .. and Leafs have a horrible history of not giving their young D time to develop in NHL .. it was never an issue of tools and you are right his tool box package exceeds Lily and Sandin and of course Holl .. and it very well could backfire and turn into another Carlyle

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is da issue .. but how long do Leafs wait before light goes on???????? .. and Leafs have a horrible history of not giving their young D time to develop in NHL .. it was never an issue of tools and you are right his tool box package exceeds Lily and Sandin and of course Holl .. and it very well could backfire and turn into another Carlyle

Player - Age - Years - Regular Season Games
Dermott- 25 - 4.5 - 235 (3 years playing time)
Sandin - 21 - 2.5 - 69 ( 1 year playing time)
Liljegren - 22 - 2.5 - 36 (.5 year playing time)

He is probably paid appropriately, and unless he shows some growth not much of a raise after next season. If he wanted a long term deal, about the same money with a decent signing bonus.

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Here's a shocker - I bet the two worst performing players on every team in the league are "available".

Maybe man, I dunno... I am just relaying information that I read on the player. But I don't know if I would call Demott one of the worst performing players... he's been alright, but I think the organization has to make a call on his value, either to the team or in brining in other pieces that are perhaps more valuable.

Sorry my post upset you so ;)

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Player - Age - Years - Regular Season Games
Dermott- 25 - 4.5 - 235 (3 years playing time)
Sandin - 21 - 2.5 - 69 ( 1 year playing time)
Liljegren - 22 - 2.5 - 36 (.5 year playing time)

Good stat pack. Age plays a huge part here... and I think Sandin is already ahead of Dermott in almost all areas. Liljegren is similar, so tie goes to the younger player right (always has, always will) especially where money is not a major factor.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Good stat pack. Age plays a huge part here... and I think Sandin is already ahead of Dermott in almost all areas. Liljegren is similar, so tie goes to the younger player right (always has, always will) especially where money is not a major factor.
Fair to say that this is the current depth chart?
  1. Rielly
  2. Brodie
  3. Muzzin
  4. Lilligren
  5. Sandin
  6. Dermott
  7. Holl

Reactions: Ciao

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

It’s hard because i think the organization (rightfully so) will give the opportunities to the former first round picks. Dermott has looked good along side Muzzin. I just don’t know if Dermott is going to get those opportunity. It comes down to trust. I think he lost that trust with the turnover in the playoffs. But he is highly skilled. I personally would have rather seen a Dermott - Liljegren pairing. But I’m not an NHL coach so maybe Keefe knows something we don’t? Or maybe Dermott needs a new scenery

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Fair to say that this is the current depth chart?
  1. Rielly
  2. Brodie
  3. Muzzin
  4. Lilligren
  5. Sandin
  6. Dermott
  7. Holl

I think we see things very differnt from the organization. If I were to guess what Dubas a crew have as thier list it would be:
  1. Rielly
  2. Brodie
  3. Muzzin
  4. Holl
  5. Sandin
  6. Lilligren
  7. Dermott

Ragardless, the organization see's him as someone they can move considering there are others in the A who can step in a do what he does. Dahlstrom was good last game, and Rubins looks capable as well. If there are assets we can get back, there is no reason to not make the move since we have depth (at the 5-6-7 D spot).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think we see things very differnt from the organization. If I were to guess what Dubas a crew have as thier list it would be:
  1. Rielly
  2. Brodie
  3. Muzzin
  4. Holl
  5. Sandin
  6. Lilligren
  7. Dermott

Ragardless, the organization see's him as someone they can move considering there are others in the A who can step in a do what he does. Dahlstrom was good last game, and Rubins looks capable as well. If there are assets we can get back, there is no reason to not make the move since we have depth (at the 5-6-7 D spot).
I'd say that's probably how the team views it.
My question was more how do the fans view the depth chart.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He’s probably one of the best skaters on the team……..it’s a shame he’s in limbo mode.
He is a top 5 skater on team for speed per his race results but being a defender takes so much more than pure skating .. much like we don't throw away Sandin as he is slowest skater on team .. to me we are very very weak overall on defense right now .. and it will show in playoffs much like last year where Dermy and Sandin killed our chances .. 3 really bad skill based errors led directly to 3 losses

Reactions: 67leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad