Confirmed with Link: Derek Stepan PTO

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm still surprised we scratched him so much in the playoffs. Guy wasn't amazing but he was a great 4th liner. He knew where to be on the ice and didn't get caved in defensively. His effort and hitting was significantly less than Martinook, but I'd argue Stepan is the more effective player.

I think we just had to play KK as 4th line C and that meant Stepan wasn't going to see as much ice time. This year, he could get more looks.

Lastly, I'm pretty shocked he got a PTO. Clearly no one else was offering much. I wonder if part of it is one of the lesser teams like Anaheim or Zona just wasn't as appealing to him, and he liked this environment. Like, I see why he wasn't given $1.0M or more since no one has cap space, but I'm also surprised Stepan took this and didn't get a $750k offer from somebody else.

This is a nice addition to our team either way and I fully expect he'll be signed, particularly with the money we have with MaxPac on LTIR.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
SOMEONE EXPLAIN IN DUMB TALK.
Stepan doesn't want to be sent down to the Wolves if he doesn't make the Canes.

This way if he fails to make the Canes they can release him and he's free to look around for another job if someone gets hit with an injury bug or Covid.

I know there's a lot of questions of how he couldn't get a contract anywhere, but at this point if someone isn't giving him a guaranteed roster spot a PTO is probably best for him during camp.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Stepan doesn't want to be sent down to the Wolves if he doesn't make the Canes.

This way if he fails to make the Canes they can release him and he's free to look around for another job if someone gets hit with an injury bug or Covid.

I know there's a lot of questions of how he couldn't get a contract anywhere, but at this point if someone isn't giving him a guaranteed roster spot a PTO is probably best for him during camp.
Also possible that he only had 1 or 2 offers and didnt like the places those offers came from!

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
What's the selling point with the player that makes this such a surprise? Stepan is pretty generic stylistically; he's neither fast nor physical. His statline was influenced by a prime-like shooting percentage. He won faceoffs at a good percentage, but it was a significant deviation from his career average (~9% better). Other teams may see that as a statistical fluke rather than a Brind'Amour effect

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Feels like he played well enough last year to just sign him to a $900k contract and be done with it... idk, feels like a slap in the face.
I may be overthinking (or flat out wrong), but...

If they can make moves (stash some guys in the minors for opening day, say) to be juuuust cap compliant - including pacioretty's hit - on the first day of the season, that maximizes the ltir pool, right? If i'm remembering that correctly, maybe the pto is a placeholder to get stepan back in the fold, make it over the day one hurdle, then sign a deal using the ltir space?

I'm fuzzy on all this, and too lazy to look it up.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I may be overthinking (or flat out wrong), but...

If they can make moves (stash some guys in the minors for opening day, say) to be juuuust cap compliant - including pacioretty's hit - on the first day of the season, that maximizes the ltir pool, right? If i'm remembering that correctly, maybe the pto is a placeholder to get stepan back in the fold, make it over the day one hurdle, then sign a deal using the ltir space?

I'm fuzzy on all this, and too lazy to look it up.
I could be wrong, and very likely am, or I am misunderstanding your post, which is also possible, but I'm not sure what you suggests matter.

With Max on LTIR, they'll be cap compliant on day 1 with the LTIR space. The team will have that maximum LTIR space at their disposal from day 1 until he comes off LTIR.

The only reason to stash guys in the minors would be to not use LTIR space so that you can accrue cap space for a possible deadline deal (which you can't do if you are using LTIR to go over the cap). In that regards, signing Stepan hurts that more than helps it.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I could be wrong, and very likely am, or I am misunderstanding your post, which is also possible, but I'm not sure what you suggests matter.

With Max on LTIR, they'll be cap compliant on day 1 with the LTIR space. The team will have that maximum LTIR space at their disposal from day 1 until he comes off LTIR.

The only reason to stash guys in the minors would be to not use LTIR space so that you can accrue cap space for a possible deadline deal (which you can't do if you are using LTIR to go over the cap). In that regards, signing Stepan hurts that more than helps it.
Yeah - i didn't explain it well. Mostly because i'm on the outer edge of my understanding.

We'll be compliant either way. It is just a matter of how much space the ltir creates. Hell, it probably doesn't matter in actual practice. If they are cap compliant day one, they lock in the full 7 million to play with. If they are 2 million over on day one they only lock in 5 million.

I'm thinking since it locks on day one they'd want to maximize it. But i'm really somewhere around 98% just talking out my ass. Slow night, what can i say?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad