Derek Stepan and the Stepan line

NYRCSKA*

90% of posters on this board know nothing about hockey. Some of your expectations are beyond insane.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
He has the best from behind stick check on the team. He's a neutral zone/blueline theif. That's a big time quality to have for creating turnovers and oddman rushes. I just wish his acceleration wasn't doodoo.

This is the only thing. If Steps was faster and could bring his takeaways to the net himself, he'd be a 75 point player.

As it is, he has to rely on guys like Nash and his zero goals to capitalize on his brilliant defensive plays.

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
instructions for this line for series with Montreal. three over the blueline, make one pass, two guys without puck charge the net, guy with puck shoot ON GOAL. Price is good at eating up pucks but the only way Stephan or Nash are gonna get it going is being in right place at right time for rebounds.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Great when Bern finds this he's going to tell us all how because KreiMe agrees with him on Stepan his opinion is justified/correct/infallible and we should ship Stepan out of here with 8 other assets for Hertl/Kane/JVR. :shakehead

It's like groundhog day up in this *****.

KreiMeARiver*

90% of posters on this board know nothing about hockey. Some of your expectations are beyond insane.

uh huh... a different opinion equals zero knowledge. Right, got it. I've been watching the Rangers probably since before you were born.

Great when Bern finds this he's going to tell us all how because KreiMe agrees with him on Stepan his opinion is justified/correct/infallible and we should ship Stepan out of here with 8 other assets for Hertl/Kane/JVR. :shakehead

It's like groundhog day up in this *****.

First off, I wasn't suggesting anything like shipping off Stepan, and I commended his defensive play. I'm also a fan and not a "Stepan hater", as others may or may not be.

But right now, (even if the majority of the cause of poor overall production may be due to Nash's ineptitude) that first line (with Stepan as center) isn't producing enough that will sustain a further run at the Cup.

I understand many of you give him a pass due to his superb 2-way game, and while my OP may have been a bit hyperbolic, he could be, and needs to be better. As long as he's our "1C" that so many of you are madly in love with, I'm not going to give him a pass, sorry.

And this offseason, I don't know what he has to do, or who they have to bring in for instruction, but his faceoff skills need to improve.

NYRCSKA*

uh huh... a different opinion equals zero knowledge. Right, got it. I've been watching the Rangers probably since before you were born.

First off, I wasn't suggesting anything like shipping off Stepan, and I commended his defensive play. I'm also a fan and not a "Stepan hater", as others may or may not be.

But right now, (even if the majority of the cause of poor overall production may be due to Nash's ineptitude) that first line (with Stepan as center) isn't producing enough that will sustain a further run at the Cup.

I understand many of you give him a pass due to his superb 2-way game, and while my OP may have been a bit hyperbolic, he could be, and needs to be better. As long as he's our "1C" that so many of you are madly in love with, I'm not going to give him a pass, sorry.

And this offseason, I don't know what he has to do, or who they have to bring in for instruction, but his faceoff skills need to improve.

And you still know nothing about hockey. Thank god you don't work for the organization.

AHB*

Completely disagree with this. Most posters on here are far more knowledgeable then people you come across day to day.

Many have been following and/or playing the game for years, even decades.

Fact is, Stepan is a very important piece. However, he's being asked to play as a 1st line center, when in reality, he is a very good, second line center. Similar to Boyle, a player will command disrespect when he is put in a position to fail. If we get a true #1 at some point in Stepan's prime, he will become a beloved player here, not having to go up against other teams #1 Shutdown units.

Stepan is very good, but a player who plays out of his element is one who will receive criticism from the fans.

KreiMeARiver*

And you still know nothing about hockey. Thank god you don't work for the organization.

I've defecated more knowledge about hockey than you'll ever have.

And I do work for the organization.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
What's forgotten here is that the Stepan line is still considered the Rangers top line by opponents, and therefore normally play against the other teams top lines/defensive pairings.

http://www.extraskater.com/players/qual-comp?team=nyr&min_gp=1

Despite this Stepan/Nash have positive Corsi numbers and some of the best on the team. Nash leads the team in shots. While many of those shots are low percentage he has also had a number of high quality chances as well. I'm not trying to make excuses as they absolutely need to start scoring for this team to continue their run, but it's not as bad as some are making it seem.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn

So you're saying that 90% of the people here are posting on a sports forum but know nothing about that sport? They just really love registering and posting comments on random forums every single day?

I know nothing about basketball, I'm not going to register to an NBA forum and start talking about Kobe Bryant and his sick dribbling skills.

Some posters haven't been following the game for that long and I think the posters who have or the posters who know a little more because they follow the game more should be here to help those people, not put them down.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I never said you did, I said bernmeister WILL use your opinion to justify his ridiculous one about how HE thinks we should ship out Steps. Reading comprehension.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Stepan has not ben playing well. Lots of bad choices and missed opportunities.

Nash playing worse doesnt excuse him. He makes up for it on defense but he's been a non-factor for a while now.

20 points in 51 career playoff games. Can't use the experience excuse anymore -- this is his 4th postseason and he's 24 in a month.

He's still a good player.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Stepan has not ben playing well. Lots of bad choices and missed opportunities.

Nash playing worse doesnt excuse him. He makes up for it on defense but he's been a non-factor for a while now.

20 points in 51 career playoff games. Can't use the experience excuse anymore -- this is his 4th postseason and he's 24 in a month.

He's still a good player.

I'll disagree.

If Nash had scored at all this series, I think every would be singing a different tune about Steps.

KreiMeARiver*

You defecate all over these forums consistently, I'll give you that, but I wouldn't call the result knowledge very often. :D

Hey not everyone can be as wise and knowledgeable as you and 31. I'm so glad you guys are :teach:

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Stepan and Nash are not really comparable.

Nash looks afraid. Or at the very least tentative. Unlike others I don't think he is indifferent or wilting under the pressure. He looks like he is worried about getting hit in the head. He looks like Lindros did after he returned from a concussion in 2002. He also looks like has conditioning issues, which may or may not be related to his concussion. Even when given open space he is barely moving. And his shifts are short even for this team. He could still pop in some goals, he's had enough good looks the last 14 games that he should have a few goals, even while not playing near his top. But the bigger problem may or may not ever get fixed.

Stepan on the other hand seems to be doing the things he needs to be doing. He is in traffic, finding space, moving around. The problem is that every time the puck finds his stick he whiffs on it or shoots it into outer space. I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with him. He seems like he is playing with a cursed stick. And of course playing with a guy who has hit a dozen posts hasn't helped his numbers.

Aside from Nash in the last game 7, both have played quality defense.

tbonenc*

I'm like Step, but he is never going to be a big point producer, unless he is paired with a guy who can finish. Nash has not been that guy.

He is a very good defensive player and an above average playmaker.

Step needs to work on his faceoffs. Against any skilled center he struggles on the draws.

Also, he is a horrendous shooter. Misses the net more than anyone I can recall. Stop trying to be too perfect and put the puck on goal. At least we will have a chance at rebounds and not break the other team out of the zone.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

He was about as gracious as could be and you act like this? He clearly knows plenty about hockey he just doesn't agree with you. Calm down you are letting yourself get irrationally passionate and it's getting in the way of your ability to have an adult discussion.

Not to mention you're wrong about some things! Stepan has struggled in several important facets of the game throughout multiple games in the PO's to a degree that is significant. Game 5 and 6 against Pit he was actually pretty damn good especially when compared to games 3 and 4 (where to be fair everyone stunk). It's more than reasonable to wonder why he has not been as good as he could be.
I understand calling someone out for exaggerating how bad he's been but you did call out Krei for it and he admitted it was an error. Frankly I have the opinion that Stepan has let the team down by having much less of an impact in several games than I think he is capable of having. This doesn't mean "OMG Stepan sucks, absolutely horrible player! Trade now!" I'm disappointed by his play not being a little bit better, he doesn't suck. Maybe you aren't disappointed with his PO play at all and that's fine I won't berate you for it

Last edited:

KreiMeARiver*

You defecate all over these forums consistently, I'll give you that, but I wouldn't call the result knowledge very often. :D

Your post was #61 in this thread. Coincidence? I think not.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Stepan is a pass first center. If and when Nash and Kreider start potting goals he should pick up some more assists. For now he's done his job. Yeah his acceleration is not great and he's not been super productive but defensively he's played well--penalty killing has been good. He hasn't taken any penalties--that is good too. He's not a minus player. The team overall might not be scoring enough to keep some people happy but they've scored enough so far to survive. I'd much rather win 1-0 or 2-1 than lose 8-7. Numbers can lie. A player can get 4 points in that 8-7 loss and play like **** but afterwards some people will think--'well he did pretty good--look at all the points he scored'. It's not going to matter that much to me if Nash scores at all if we somehow manage to bag a cup. Winning is what matters.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The day Rick Nash, our supposed top offense-providing player, has more goals and points than Stepan is the day I'll start to think about considering the possibility of worrying about Stepan's production. On a team where there's a 3-way tie for 1st with 4 goals, a 3-way tie for 2nd with 3 goals, and a 4-way tie for 3rd with 2 goals, I'm fine with Stepan's offensive production. Stepan also tied for 2nd on the team in assists with 4.

it's common that centerman have more assists than goals anyway. Tavares was 24-42, total of 66 points... nearly 65% of his points came off assists, while only 36% of his points came from goals...

that's the hyperbolic comparison, just so you know what I'm getting at

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
He's been ok. What bothers me is that the guy gets so many chances yet is just horrendous at finishing. I know that's not his game really but it's getting kind of ridiculous how often he just fans on the shot or misses the net entirely.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Stepper's been good defensively, but so has (gasp) Rick Nash. Bottom line, like Nash, Step has to put points up, and he's not. And this is becoming an alarming habit in the playoffs. That doesn't mean Step is a bum, or we should trade him, or anything crazy like that, but it's getting to the point where I don't expect much offense from Stepan in the playoffs, and that's not good.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Fact is, Stepan is a very important piece. However, he's being asked to play as a 1st line center, when in reality, he is a very good, second line center. Similar to Boyle, a player will command disrespect when he is put in a position to fail. If we get a true #1 at some point in Stepan's prime, he will become a beloved player here, not having to go up against other teams #1 Shutdown units.

Stepan is very good, but a player who plays out of his element is one who will receive criticism from the fans.

This is extremely well said. Exactly how I and many other people I know feel. The kid is a good center and his cap hit is good for what he brings, but he is not a 1c. Also, like others have said, he really needs to work on face offs.

If we buyout Richards Stepan can take his place as 2c, but the problem is who do we bring in to be 1c? Statsny? Not sure if he will provide what we want as a 1c but he is the best C on open market this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad