Derek Ryan spears Nils Hoglander in the nuts, how is this not a 5 minute major penalty for attempt to injure?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It was called a penalty after the fact, it was only called so they could take both players.
So obviously that leading play was not a 'non factor' if it was a clear penalty.
This was just like Drai slashing Zadorov after getting a couple crosscheck in game 1.

Ryan just chose a different area of the body. Thankfully there are protective jocks.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Hope Sutherland don’t ref another game. He got something against Vancouver if I remember. Nurse boarding on Pettersson, McDavid high stick Hughes, Kane slewfoot Hughes, Hyman cheap shot on Hughes when puck no where near. Bouchard hit Pettersson when puck was no where near. These were just a few
High stick on hyman, trip on kane to start the game, trip on mcdavid after he scored his goal leaving your feet to hit a player i bet those plays happened when your head was turned.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Hope Sutherland don’t ref another game. He got something against Vancouver if I remember. Nurse boarding on Pettersson, McDavid high stick Hughes, Kane slewfoot Hughes, Hyman cheap shot on Hughes when puck no where near. Bouchard hit Pettersson when puck was no where near. These were just a few
I dont think playoff hockey is for you.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
The usual troll-y/ flamer types from all sides in force here with homer blindness and whataboutism. Spearing specifically - and spearing to the groin more specifically - should be reviewable and suspendable after the game. It’s completely gutless to boot.

Can’t imagine many would even take an issue of the league cracked down on this with a bright line and multi game suspensions from the start of the season.

Anyone with a justification of any kind for this… well, deserves a stick to the beans.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The usual troll-y/ flamer types from all sides in force here with homer blindness and whataboutism. Spearing specifically - and spearing to the groin more specifically - should be reviewable and suspendable after the game. It’s completely gutless to boot.

Can’t imagine many would even take an issue of the league cracked down on this with a bright line and multi game suspensions from the start of the season.

Anyone with a justification of any kind for this… well, deserves a stick to the beans.
Its a good thing Ryan didnt spear him then.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

When called properly. 3 months ago. Same motion just one was from behind.

I'm sure that'll make a big difference and be the thing that separates the action for you though.

Not the same motion at all. A spear moves in a direction parallel to the stick shaft so the point of the blade is the only thing that is going to make contact. A slash moves more perpendicular to the shaft, which is what we saw with Hoglander (shaft close to horizontal and lifted up).

You are focusing only on what part of the stick hit the player and not the action that caused it to hit him. Watch both videos a few times and you might figure out what everyone else already understands.

Last edited:

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
Yes, everything is allowed from now on.🙄

OP has a lower number of exclamation marks than we’ve grown accustomed to.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
I don't need to quote you on anything. Im not arguing with you. you are set in your ways and see it one way and will never change your mind. Other posters have just what you ask me to. You just reply with me QUOTE ME.

I just interjected to say spearing is a horizontal motion. I can't help if you don't know or don't want to know the difference slashing and spearing.
I have no idea why you needed to interject yourself when its pretty clear that if you after someones nuts on purpose that is intent to injure and should be punished with more than 2 minutes not matter the small details about whether it should be called a spear or slash. Clearly there are plenty of similar incident which has been called spearing which have been posted in the thread.

Oilers player lost his cool and responded like a coward in a dirty filthy way, just own up to it instead of making silly excuses and try to deflect from the clear malicious intent from the Oilers player!

If Ryan wanted to respond he could have done it it a million was that was more classy! You also know Ryan deserved more than 2 minutes for what he did, unless you think that attacking peoples nuts on purpose is not worse than a standard minor penalty!

Last edited:

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The action of spearing is defined as a stabbing motion, which that was not. It was a slash, which is defined as a player swinging their stick at an opposing player.
Spearing is defined by using the tip of your blade, which he did. He didn’t “swing his stick”, he “speared” the player with the tip of the blade

Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade, whether contact is made or not.

A Slashing penalty will be assessed to any player who swings their stick at an opponent (whether out of range or not) without actually striking them, or who, on the pretext of playing the puck, makes a wild swing at the puck with the object of intimidating their opponent

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Textbook spear using the blade as a spear in the groin, not that it matters. If you slash someone in the nuts on purpose that is a 5 minute game misconduct as well!

Hopefully they forget the rule book when some one destroys McDavid, perhaps thats the only way to make sure people care about cheap shots!
Agreed that this isn't part of the game, and any ref who lets this go (as in not calling the automatic major) should be held liable for any injury suffered.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Agreed that this isn't part of the game, and any ref who lets this go (as in not calling the automatic major) should be held liable for any injury suffered.

The lengths people go on this board to defend dangerous cowardly violence that have no place in hockey is puzzling, I just dont understand why it has to be defended.

How hard could it be for an Oilers fan to just hold up their hand and say "that was a shitty gutless play and deserved a 5 minute penalty" instead of trying to convince us that Hoglander almost crushed the ribs of the Ryan by softly pushing him! (it was so soft the refs called it interference and not crosschecking or roughing)

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The lengths people go on this board to defend dangerous cowardly violence that have no place in hockey is puzzling, I just dont understand why it has to be defended.

How hard could it be for an Oilers fan to just hold up their hand and say "that was a shitty gutless play and deserved a 5 minute penalty" instead of trying to convince us that Hoglander almost crushed the ribs of the Ryan by softly pushing him! (it was so soft the refs called it interference and not crosschecking or roughing)
As a neutral observer your whole collection of posts on this is way over the top. Penalty for sure, maybe 5, but intent to injure???? You come across like he gave him a two handed baseball swing over the head.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
As a neutral observer your whole collection of posts on this is way over the top. Penalty for sure, maybe 5, but intent to injure???? You come across like he gave him a two handed baseball swing over the head.

I dont think its over the top at all, anytime you go for someones nuts on purpose that risking injury to someones balls which you should know is a no go. You dont go for someones eyes and not for the nuts, both are totally off limit!

Nut jobs is in a way also lick kicking on the ice, it needs to be dealt strictly with to prevent further similar incidents that can cause injury.

See what happens if you deliberately strike someone in the nuts in any other sport! Just a basic sense of sporting or even human sense of how to behave should tell anyone not to go for the nuts!

Last edited:

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Not the same motion at all. A spear moves in a direction parallel to the stick shaft to the point of the blade is the only thing that is going to make contact. A slash moves more perpendicular to the shaft, which is what we saw with Hoglander (shaft close to horizontal and lifted up).

You are focusing only on what part of the stick hit the player and not the action that caused it to hit him. Watch both videos a few times and you might figure out what everyone else already understands.
Look at the other video I posted. Also shows another example of a player getting ejected for spearing. Literally first example in.

Reactions: Dessloch

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I have no idea why you needed to interject yourself when its pretty clear that if you after someones nuts on purpose that is intent to injure and should be punished with more than 2 minutes not matter the small details about whether it should be called a spear or slash. Clearly there are plenty of similar incident which has been called spearing which have been posted in the thread.

Oilers player lost his cool and responded like a coward in a dirty filthy way, just own up to it instead of making silly excuses and try to deflect from the clear malicious intent from the Oilers player!

If Ryan wanted to respond he could have done it it a million was that was more classy! You also know Ryan deserved more than 2 minutes for what he did, unless you think that attacking peoples nuts on purpose is not worse than a standard minor penalty!
Crosschecking , high sticking, slashing someone in retaliation to a hit would also be 'intent to injure' by your logic.

Tripping a player making him crash into the boards AFTER they scored a goal would also be 'intent to injure'..

No doubt it was jerk move by Ryan and deserved the penalty but let's not get carried away. This was neither a spear nor an intent to injure. It was a cheap move indeed and Nucks should've gone after Ryan hard.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Crosschecking , high sticking, slashing someone in retaliation to a hit would also be 'intent to injure' by your logic.

Tripping a player making him crash into the boards AFTER they scored a goal would also be 'intent to injure'..

No doubt it was jerk move by Ryan and deserved the penalty but let's not get carried away. This was neither a spear nor an intent to injure. It was a cheap move indeed and Nucks should've gone after Ryan hard.
If targeting a vulnerable part of the body ON PURPOSE yes then it would be intent to injure. The difference is that when you crosscheck, high-stick or slash someone in the context of actual hockey play going on you can always say it was incidental.

However when you skate up from behind targeting someone when there is no hockey play targeting one of the most sensitive parts of a mans body, then you will surely be held to different standard!

If someone skates up to an unsuspecting player from behind when the puck is not there to deliver a cross check sending the guy head first into the boards, then it would not be a stretch to call it intent to injure?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad