Derek Roy ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omniscient Gadfly

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
There was a lot of speculation at the outset of the year regarding top prospect Derek Roy, and his chances of making the Sabres. After he almost made the team 2 years ago, he was assigned to begin the season in Rochester this year - despite setting training camp on fire, racking up impressive point totals. If he continues his current pace, I can't help but think Roy will force Buffalo mgmt to give him a serious look on the regular roster soon.

Roy is currently tied for 2nd in AHL league scoring, 1 point off the pace, having only played 6 games, whereas most leaders have played 8, 9, and even 10.

Player Team Pos Games/Goals/Assists/Pts

Fedorov, Fedor MTB RW 10 6 5 11
Pominville, Jason ROC RW 8 6 5 11
Taffe, Jeff SPR C 7 6 5 11
Surovy, Tomas WIL LW 8 5 6 11
Kostopoulos, Tom WIL RW 8 5 6 11
Hamilton, Jeff BRI RW 9 7 3 10
Langfeld, Josh BIN RW 10 5 5 10
Plekanec, Tomas HAM C 9 4 6 10
Moran, Brad SYR C 9 4 6 10
Roy, Derek ROC C 6 4 6 10

In a recent AHL prospect ranking, Roy was spotted 11th, among a rather impressive list of future NHLers.

http://www.theahl.com/AHLProfiles03/1023.html

There are a lot of people wary about his size, but this guy just keeps posting impressive numbers wherever, and whenever he plays. He didn't really garner a lot of attention for his offensive capabilities with the junior nats at the WJC a while back, but this underlines his versatility - he is a capable defensive player, who has developed face-off proficiency, and excelled in a defensive role with the junior nats. He really seems to be the complete package. Even leadership, as evidenced with the Memorial Cup run this past year. It's no wonder Sabres posters here, and elsewhere, are so high on this guy.

I was curious to see how Roy would handle himself playing against stronger competition at the AHL level, but there's no doubt in my mind now that this guy will be an impact player in the NHL.

Thoughts? Counter-points?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Good Points

I agree with you. The reason he was sent down was that after training camp he hurt his groin but didn't tell the team about it. This slowed him down and he looked lethargic in preseason games. He tried to compensate for the groin and ended up hurting his hip flexor. He admitted that it was very stupid of him and it cost him a spot. He is pure dynamite and has a bright future in Buffalo. He has already turned Rochester into a powerhouse. Buffalo's future looks bright with Roy, Pominville, Gaustad and Miller all playing well in Rochester.

I believe Roy is one of the best young prospects in hockey, and is always overlooked in these best prospect posts.

ManuelCalavera

La-La-La-Locked Out
Apr 7, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
After following him closely ever since the Sabres drafted him, this kid is really impressive. Right now, for the first time in a long while, the Sabres are giving their fans some hope. Between goal scoring (3 5 goal games in last 5 games!) and strong prospects in Rochester, its actually not too painful to root for the team. Hell, even Rory Fitzpatrick has blossomed and has played like a legit 2-3 defenseman on the team so far this year.

TVanek26*

KeyserSoze81 said:
After following him closely ever since the Sabres drafted him, this kid is really impressive. Right now, for the first time in a long while, the Sabres are giving their fans some hope. Between goal scoring (3 5 goal games in last 5 games!) and strong prospects in Rochester, its actually not too painful to root for the team. Hell, even Rory Fitzpatrick has blossomed and has played like a legit 2-3 defenseman on the team so far this year.

Heh, who woulda thunk Fitzpatrick would become a solid 4/5 d-man?

I think Roy will be a nice player, maybe a consistent 25-30 goal scorer, with some good defensive skills.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
always thought he was a bit mark rechii' ish , not that he'll be that good offensively but i do think he has a good offensive upside..i would speculate around 70 pt upside ...hope he proves me right :)

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
I liked what the Sabres said when they drafted Roy - 'despite his size, he's just too good not to take'. Along with his skill he possesses an incredible work ethic to be the best he can be. In the CHL prospect game 2 years ago, amongst some big names, it was Roys 1st star performance people were buzzing about. I thought he was a top forward at the WJC and he should have been on Team Canada the year before as well. I agree with ttcminaker about Roy being overlooked.

KillToronto

Capt Tuttle said:
I liked what the Sabres said when they drafted Roy - 'despite his size, he's just too good not to take'. Along with his skill he possesses an incredible work ethic to be the best he can be. In the CHL prospect game 2 years ago, amongst some big names, it was Roys 1st star performance people were buzzing about. I thought he was a top forward at the WJC and he should have been on Team Canada the year before as well. I agree with ttcminaker about Roy being overlooked.

Good post. Roy has a ton of heart and potential, and it's showing in Rochester. He should develop nicely into a 25-25 type of player, possibly a little better. But his greatest assets to the Sabres will be his emotion, heart, desire, and intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad