Proposal: Derek Morris on a try-out?

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I'd like to know what your thoughts about Derek Morris? He's still a free agent, and could help as a 6th or 7th dman. I know Bieksa/Hamhuis/Tanev/Edler and maybe at another lever Sbisa are untouchable, but i'd like to see a battle at the camp between Stanton/Morris/Weber ! Any thoughts?

Derek Morris
age 36
6'0 / 214lbs
5 goals / 12 ass. / - 2 / 99 hits / 104 bks / 41 pims

member 202355

He's very inconsistent, but it can't hurt to give him a try-out.

He could be a good #6/7 who can fill in if a defenseman is injured.

John Bender*

I doubt he'd agree to it. Isn't he waiting to prop up contract offers? Surely someone has offered him something.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I doubt he'd agree to it. Isn't he waiting to prop up contract offers? Surely someone has offered him something.

If he's not signed before the camp Linden should give him an invitation. He's willing to play, still got 2 seasons left in the tank, i guess he'd rather sign a less higher contract and play in the big league.

John Bender*

If he's not signed before the camp Linden should give him an invitation. He's willing to play, still got 2 seasons left in the tank, i guess he'd rather sign a less higher contract and play in the big league.

What about Salo? Wonder if the team would entertain a low $$ one year deal - and spot him in the lineup. Might be a good mentor for a guy like Corrado. He's also a right hander that worked well at times with the Twins on the point on the PP. The point on the PP is of prime concern right now, imo.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
What about Salo? Wonder if the team would entertain a low $$ one year deal - and spot him in the lineup. Might be a good mentor for a guy like Corrado. He's also a right hander that worked well at times with the Twins on the point on the PP. The point on the PP is of prime concern right now, imo.

I'd do this first

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC

Obviously Morris and Salo are quite similar, both have been pushed hard by young prospect and big free agents signings (Murphys/Schemko/Stone for Morris, Garrison/Stralman for Salo). Salo has an edge by already playing in Vancouver, stupid question but does he ever played with Linden? Sorry for my unknowledge:help:

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Obviously Morris and Salo are quite similar, both have been pushed hard by young prospect and big free agents signings (Murphys/Schemko/Stone for Morris, Garrison/Stralman for Salo). Salo has an edge by already playing in Vancouver, stupid question but does he ever played with Linden? Sorry for my unknowledge:help:

Yes, he played with Linden from 2002-2008

Pioneer

Jul 7, 2014
B.C.
Hamhuis - Bieksa/Tanev
Edler - Bieksa/Tanev
Stanton - Sbisa
Weber/Corrado
(pretty sure Sbisa will be the guy to play on the right side and will be given less mins, but get PP time)
Think we're full, not to mention I think we have a very underrated defense this year. Everyone is a year older and a year more experienced. Doubt the team looks at Salo or Morris unless they already plan to trade Edler (which I also really doubt despite the fanbase).
I do think this is a make or break year for Edler. He has to show he can gel with Bieksa or Tanev consistently, or it would be best to trade him for equal value at another position and let Sbisa take his shot. If he doesn't start showing that this year its time for a change.
I still think the talent is there for Edler to be even better than Kronwall is today. Hope the coach is willing to give him 30mins a night when he is playing well. He really needs to develop that confidence Ehrhoff had when he was playing here. Edler would be amazing if he had Ehrhoffs' sense, but that comes with time playing the game and having confidence in your abilities. Sorry to rant off topic

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hamhuis
Tanev
Edler
Bieksa
Sbisa
Stanton
Weber
Corrado

I don't really see the need, nor the room.

Last edited:

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Still don't know why Weber is on this team. Back in lockout time, Weber seemed average in swiss league. He just can't handle NHL games and play. Against bigger guy i fear he brakes his bones.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I wouldn't mind giving him an invite to camp, but no promises. Probably a guy that will come available on waivers after camp that would bring more to the table at this point.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
I'd like to know what your thoughts about Derek Morris? He's still a free agent, and could help as a 6th or 7th dman. I know Bieksa/Hamhuis/Tanev/Edler and maybe at another lever Sbisa are untouchable, but i'd like to see a battle at the camp between Stanton/Morris/Weber ! Any thoughts?

Derek Morris
age 36
6'0 / 214lbs
5 goals / 12 ass. / - 2 / 99 hits / 104 bks / 41 pims

too old. Canucks should look at a 27 year old D-man for the 7th spot

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Morris was actually not terrible last season. A team with weak defensive depth probably should give him a contract or PTO.

But we already have a three way battle for that last RHD spot with Corrado/Weber/Sanguinetti. We probably don't have a need for Mprris.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I rather bring back Sami Salo if we are going to go old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad