News Article: Derek MacKenzie suspended 3 games

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
It's very easy to wag your finger at Rimer and Davidge almost 24 hours later. But it happened in real time along the near boards. It's the same reason people drop the gloves over clean hits all the time. What you see and hear are knee jerk reactions to something that happened in the blink of an eye.

Good thing they kept reiterating it during the replays.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
They are both bad hits, but OEL was injured.

If you didn't know the outcome of either hit, what would your answer be?

Since we don't know until after the hit whether a player is injured, I have to assume we need to start officiating hits and not outcomes. I agree it can be a factor, but it should not be a significant factor. If I board Klesla and he breaks into 20 little Klesings or if I board Doan and he shakes it off the punishment should really be effectively the same because the infraction is the same - boarding.

I understand considering injury more in intentional plays, like a two handed chop, punch to the back of the head, slew foot - but this is a hockey play. A bad one, one worthy of a fine and/or penalty but I have a hard time understanding a 3 game suspension for it.

It just seems weird to me that if you consider both hits, they're not different enough to warrant just wildly different views by the NHL. One is celebrated as a big hit, the other costs a player 3 games.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Its harsh. I think 1 game would be more in order, but so be it. I hope OEL is ok, I am a fan and I'd like to see him on the ice for Sweden. Doesn't change my opinion of MacKenzie one bit at all, he's a stand up guy, works his ass off for a very meager professional sports salary.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not sure ANY suspension is worthy here. Boarding call? Sure. No targeting of the head. No leaving the feet. No suspension in my mind.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not sure ANY suspension is worthy here. Boarding call? Sure. No targeting of the head. No leaving the feet. No suspension in my mind.

All you need is a dangerous hit and its suspension worthy. Get used to it.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany

Since we don't know until after the hit whether a player is injured, I have to assume we need to start officiating hits and not outcomes. I agree it can be a factor, but it should not be a significant factor. If I board Klesla and he breaks into 20 little Klesings or if I board Doan and he shakes it off the punishment should really be effectively the same because the infraction is the same - boarding.

I understand considering injury more in intentional plays, like a two handed chop, punch to the back of the head, slew foot - but this is a hockey play. A bad one, one worthy of a fine and/or penalty but I have a hard time understanding a 3 game suspension for it.

It just seems weird to me that if you consider both hits, they're not different enough to warrant just wildly different views by the NHL. One is celebrated as a big hit, the other costs a player 3 games.

Refs on the ice didn't call it a penalty; Is the league office saying they screwed up and missed it? If so they also missed call Yandle for the instigator. Seen to many Jackets stick up for teammates in similar situations and get the instigator. Reality of the situation is that Larsen put himself in a vulnerable position. Watch the video he ducks into McKenzie anticipating the hit and trying to slide by him. If he stands says more upright it's a solid check with him going squarely into the boards. Mckenzie is not a headhunter; 3 games is a bit much.

Inconsistency of officiating just ticks me off.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I have no problem with the principle that you can be suspended if you injure a player on a dangerous play.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
On a related note...

Joffrey Lupul also faced supplemental discipline today. A repeat offender, as the NHL calls them, Lupul was previously suspended for two games last March after a fly-by elbow to the head of Victor Hedman. As some of you may have seen, Lupul cross-checked Patrick Eaves in the side of the head and eliminated him from the Winter Classic on Wednesday. Today, the NHL fined Lupul $10,000 dollars (not sure if U.S. or Canadian currency); and opted not to suspend him.

So take note. If you're Raffi Torres, your next suspension likely ends your career, since, you know, you're a repeat offender. If you're James Wisniewski, we're going to hold every single penalty you've ever suffered over your head - even a stupid gesture that really didn't offend anyone. If you're Derek MacKenzie, we'll suspend you for three games just because we don't like you.

Really, I have to ask: Where is the consistency in these choices? Who holds Brendan Shanahan accountable?

CBJ Tiffin

Jan 2, 2011
I can describe this suspension in one word...

th

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
Really, I have to ask: Where is the consistency in these choices? Who holds Brendan Shanahan accountable?

Report out of NYR is that there will be no supplemental discipline for Kreider... While I don't think that hit warranted a 5min major and a game misconduct (probably just a 2min boarding, TBH)... when compared to MacKenzie's hit side by side he should probably get at least 3 games as well... but he most likely won't.

I agree, no consistency at all. Then there is calls out of left field like 3 games for Mac...

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/420421988029456386

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
just watched on Youtube, and some of the commenters are correct, it *WAS* shoulder to shoulder, but still a dangerous check and shouldn't be gone unnoticed...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
just watched on Youtube, and some of the commenters are correct, it *WAS* shoulder to shoulder, but still a dangerous check and shouldn't be gone unnoticed...

MacKenzie's check was shoulder to shoulder as well ... back shoulder, just like this hit on Tyutin.

Again, I wonder where the consistency comes from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad