News Article: Derek MacKenzie suspended 3 games

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Well, a game or 2 more than I think he deserved considering he's not a repeat offender, but it wasn't the "clean hit" Bill and Jeff seemed to think it was.

IHeartZherdev*

Too bad they couldn't have suspended him the whole year. Scrub.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Well, a game or 2 more than I think he deserved considering he's not a repeat offender, but it wasn't the "clean hit" Bill and Jeff seemed to think it was.

Seems excessive when kneeing someone in the head on purpose as a repeat offender is apparently only worth 5 in this league.

The league seems to take to much into account if the player is injured.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Seems excessive when kneeing someone in the head on purpose as a repeat offender is apparently only worth 5 in this league.

...and the star quality of the player injured. I didn't see the hit, so I really can't comment on it. Missed it flipping between the Jackets and the Sugar Bowl last night.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I would love to have an explanation of why these two hits are treated so disparately from someone in the NHL.

Yes, I understand they're different, but most of the reason they're different is that the player taking the hit anticipated it.

I'm not one to whine much, but 3 games is ridiculous. #54 was right on top of the play - hope he sits a few games too.

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus

Couldn't agree more. I thought he'd get 1 game, maybe 2 when I heard about the hearing... I think 3's a bit much for a first time offender.

IHeartZherdev*

Um, of course injury should be a huge factor. Obvious matt cooke still can enjoy life in the nhl while savards career ended. Or look at richards hit on booth or thortons hit on on david perron...unfair that players have to miss a ton of time due to a cheap shot, while the guys that cheap shotted them get to keep playing.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If no injury I doubt he would have even been fined. It looked like a standard 2 minute boarding call and nothing else.

He made no contact with his head and is suspended 3 games but if you cross check a guy in the head and injure him then it's only a fine.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Um, of course injury should be a huge factor. Obvious matt cooke still can enjoy life in the nhl while savards career ended. Or look at richards hit on booth or thortons hit on on david perron...unfair that players have to miss a ton of time due to a cheap shot, while the guys that cheap shotted them get to keep playing.

Was it boarding? Yes.

Was it a targeted hit to the head? No. he buried his shoulder into his back

My point is that intent should play more of a factor. James Neal got away with bloody murder as a repeat offender by kneeing Brad Marchand while he was down. But because he wasn't decapitated on the play, Neal only got 5 games as a repeat offender.

I'm not saying injury shouldn't play a part in it, It just seems the NHL makes it the most important part of the decision.

bizzz*

1 game for the hit and 2 for being a Blue Jacket.
IHZ is not even funny anymore.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I would love to have an explanation of why these two hits are treated so disparately from someone in the NHL.

Yes, I understand they're different, but most of the reason they're different is that the player taking the hit anticipated it.

I'm not one to whine much, but 3 games is ridiculous. #54 was right on top of the play - hope he sits a few games too.

They are both bad hits, but OEL was injured.

Last edited:

Paisano*

Please tell us more on how MacKenzie, Comeau, Tyutin, and Boll are all scrubs. I don't think you have done this enough.

Just curious, is there anyone on this team you don't like? Would consider them a 'scrub'?

...and no I don't agree that Mackenzie is a scrub, he's one of the hardest working guys on the team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just curious, is there anyone on this team you don't like? Would consider them a 'scrub'?

...and no I don't agree that Mackenzie is a scrub, he's one of the hardest working guys on the team.

To me a scrub is someone who has no business or ability to score in the NHL. Someone who can only hit or be a goon. Someone like John Scott. I guess the closest thing on the Jackets would be Boll, but I don't think he's a scrub.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I'll help Brass out here. HE wasn't calling them scrubs-he was responding to IHZ calling MacKenzie a scrub. Perhaps you just misquoted the wrong guy.

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam

It's very easy to wag your finger at Rimer and Davidge almost 24 hours later. But it happened in real time along the near boards. It's the same reason people drop the gloves over clean hits all the time. What you see and hear are knee jerk reactions to something that happened in the blink of an eye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad