Prospect Info: Derek Grant

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I always thought Derek was an older AHL vet with no real upside. I was really surprised to find out he's only 25! He's almost got a goal per game in the AHL, he's leading the league in goal scoring with a significant amount of games in hand.

Could he have some real NHL upside that's untapped? A la Mike Hoffman? He's pretty big and pretty fast as well. I seem to remember only really giving him a 4th line grinder role in his call-up...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I always thought Derek was an older AHL vet with no real upside. I was really surprised to find out he's only 25! He's almost got a goal per game in the AHL, he's leading the league in goal scoring with a significant amount of games in hand.

Could he have some real NHL upside that's untapped? A la Mike Hoffman? He's pretty big and pretty fast as well. I seem to remember only really giving him a 4th line grinder role in his call-up...

I don't think he's got a NHL future as a goal scorer, but I do think he could carve out a career as a bottom sixer.

Honestly, he did pretty decently with Ottawa and they mostly let him go because they had forward prospects out the wazoo.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Yeah, he's a solid player both ways; he caught my eye a few times with the Senators.

I think he has a skill set that should put him on an NHL team's 4th line in the future with some room to grow.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, it's been that kind of a season.

How unfortunate for Grant. Was having a breakout season in the AHL which could have been parlayed into a tangible NHL opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad