Derek Dorsett

salo franchise

Mar 15, 2014
Dorsett was one of the few canucks with a spine tonight. A team full of Dorsetts would have played more respectable than the garbage I just watched.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
One of the best players on the team in a must win game. Showered he's not yet willing to be lumped in with the loser core.

Really hope they made sure they re-signed him because the plan is to mover Bieksa and his grit this summer.

Can't think of the last 4th line RW the Canucks had that was better than this guy. The least of our worries right now.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
Can't think of the last 4th line RW the Canucks had that was better than this guy. The least of our worries right now.
If the cap does indeed drop by 1.5 million, that 2.65 instead of a negotiated 2.0 million could be very significant. Bad negotiating on Jim's part.

And for all the hullaballoo about Dorsett, he's had a collective one hit these past two games. Check the boxscore if you don't believe me. One hit in the playoffs, inside what should be his domain. If he doesn't throw his weight around in the playoffs, I'm not sure what we're paying him for.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Dorsett was awful tonight. Zero physical presence. Meaningless soft hits along the boards. Couldn't handle the puck worth a damn.

McMillan outplayed him by a country mile. Actually skated hard to the corners and stood up for his own teammate, if that's what you expect out of Dorsett anyway.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I dislike the signing not just because of the cap hit, but mostly for the term. The most ideal fourth liner is one that is hungry.

That means it should be a revolving door of grit/energy players on a one year contract, looking to earn out.

Keep your hounds hungry so when you unleash them, they stay sharp and fierce.

There's 0 reason for a guy like Dorsett to continue playing at 110% when his paycheck for the foreseeable future has been secured.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I dislike the signing not just because of the cap hit, but mostly for the term. The most ideal fourth liner is one that is hungry.

That means it should be a revolving door of grit/energy players on a one year contract, looking to earn out.

There's 0 reason for a guy like Dorsett to continue playing at 110% when his paycheck for the foreseeable future has been secured.

That's not Derek Dorsett. You can say the same thing 3 years ago when he tripled his salary and was signed to a 3 year contract with a $1.633 cap hit. Did you see a drop off in energy after Dorsett signed his extension? I don't think so. No he didn't play with energy last game, but it happens.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
That's not Derek Dorsett. You can say the same thing 3 years ago when he tripled his salary and was signed to a 3 year contract with a $1.633 cap hit. Did you see a drop off in energy after Dorsett signed his extension? I don't think so. No he didn't play with energy last game, but it happens.

That's playing with fire. Energy players are prone to dropping off precipitously either with a fat contract (Tootoo) or with age (Ott).

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Dorsett was awful tonight. Zero physical presence. Meaningless soft hits along the boards. Couldn't handle the puck worth a damn.

McMillan outplayed him by a country mile. Actually skated hard to the corners and stood up for his own teammate, if that's what you expect out of Dorsett anyway.

well, on the bright side...at least he doesn't have to shower after the game.

straight to civies and on the bus.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

It has happened in 2 out of 4 games in this series. Not just that, it happened in the 2 games where the team needed these intangibles the most.

Considering he's also not scoring and yesterday was the first 3 shots he registered in the whole series, I would say his performance has been below average for a 4th liner and horrific given his salary.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
I don't like the terms on his contract. But sbisa one is worst, they shouldn't have bought him back. They signed him so they justify the kesler trade. Hope season ticket holders will ask benning at the meeting.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's playing with fire. Energy players are prone to dropping off precipitously either with a fat contract (Tootoo) or with age (Ott).

Again, Dorsett had what amounted to a fat contract 3 years ago and his play didn't drop off. He already signed his extension and his play didn't drop off. Aging is something that is hard to predict. There are plenty of energy players that had solid years beyond 30 years old. Arron Asham. Matt Cooke.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
So it's Dorsett's fault we have a bunch of pylons on D that couldn't react to a heavy forecheck? Because that's what killed up. Being hemmed in our own zone and Ferland being granted immunity. Not Derek Dorsett. He did his job decently. The Canucks have much bigger issues.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
So it's Dorsett's fault we have a bunch of pylons on D that couldn't react to a heavy forecheck? Because that's what killed up. Being hemmed in our own zone and Ferland being granted immunity. Not Derek Dorsett. He did his job decently. The Canucks have much bigger issues.

He's a 4th liner. Of course we have bigger issues. But he's not doing any better than any other 4th liner in this series. In fact, he's being outplayed by all of Calgary's, including Mason Raymond (the one that started in the press box and averages less than 9 minutes of ice-time).

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
He's a 4th liner. Of course we have bigger issues. But he's not doing any better than any other 4th liner in this series. In fact, he's being outplayed by all of Calgary's, including Mason Raymond (the one that started in the press box and averages less than 9 minutes of ice-time).

Name a player that wasn't outplayed by their Calgary counterpart. That's what happens when one team had all the momentum and positive vibes. After witnessing that I am just surprised that Dorsett is where the scorn lands after watching those defenders handle a forecheck.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Name a player that wasn't outplayed by their Calgary counterpart. That's what happens when one team had all the momentum and positive vibes. After witnessing that I am just surprised that Dorsett is where the scorn lands after watching those defenders handle a forecheck.

True. But none of those CGY 4th liners are making close to $3M over the next 4 years... neither are any other teams 4th liners for that matter. The reason he's going to take the brunt of the flack is because he's been grossly over paid for what little he brings. GMJB deserves just as much criticism. This is a terrible extension and it's incompetent book keeping like this that severely cripples a teams options.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dorsett was one of the few guys that showed up in the third and was putting in effort. Least of the issues on this team right now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

The issue with Dorsett is we have committed to him for 4 years at big money which means they won't be looking to upgrade his position. This isn't a top 6/top 4 you can bump down a line/pairing, he's a 4th line guy and they can't bump him so they won't be looking for upgrades.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

that's a good point.

That's not Derek Dorsett. You can say the same thing 3 years ago when he tripled his salary and was signed to a 3 year contract with a $1.633 cap hit. Did you see a drop off in energy after Dorsett signed his extension? I don't think so. No he didn't play with energy last game,

...in the biggest game of the season

... but it happens.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Again, all you need to do is look at Ferland. That's what Dorsett should be doing this series. He isn't.

Maybe he's not that good of a player, maybe it's fatigue from overuse. Point is that this contract looks bad already.

Funniest part is that Dorsett is the one that needs to be kept fresh, not the Sedins.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Again, all you need to do is look at Ferland. That's what Dorsett should be doing this series. He isn't.

Maybe he's not that good of a player, maybe it's fatigue from overuse. Point is that this contract looks bad already.

Funniest part is that Dorsett is the one that needs to be kept fresh, not the Sedins.

Dorsett is not physically capable of doing what Ferland can do. He's too small. It's amazing that he'll be getting paid as much as he does with his limited ability.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Dorsett is not physically capable of doing what Ferland can do. He's too small. It's amazing that he'll be getting paid as much as he does with his limited ability.

Ferland has 2 inches and probably 20-30 pounds on Dorsett, but I've seen him make a physical impact early in the season. He hits bigger than he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad