Depth vs Elite Top Liners - which style has a better shot at the Cup?

Which has a better chance at winning a cup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
There are types of teams up near the top of the standings right now - you have the teams that lean on one line for around 50% of their total offence (Elite Top Line option) and there are teams that have scoring spread out more evenly throughout the line up (Depth).

Elite top line teams have leaders all over the stats board. Depth teams have players that are playing below their talent slotting giving the team more secondary scoring but lower individual minutes.

Ignores team defence, that's a different discussion.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
The options are kind of strange.

As an example, Tampa's top players are arguably better than Dallas or Boston. Same goes for Toronto, and you could make a case for Washington to an extent.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Those with depths have great top lines too... So whats the point of picking a 1 line team

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The options are kind of strange.

As an example, Tampa's top players are arguably better than Dallas or Boston. Same goes for Toronto, and you could make a case for Washington to an extent.

Based on top line goals as a % of team goals. I just took the top 3. I think Tampa is up there too, they have it all.

PeterForsberg

Aug 4, 2012
Tampa has more freedom with their 5% State taxes. Their stars sign for less.

Depth wins championships, but it's more defense.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean... the depth group has some friggin elite top liners of their own.

Edit: I also question the wisdom of loading up top lines with your 3 best forwards. Two I get. But with three... I mean you're just draining the ability to have a second line chip in as well.

Since I can remember (basically since Tampa had elite forwards, so 03?) Tampa has always gone a "pairs" route. MSL + Vinny/Richards/Stamkos, Kucherov+Stamkos/Point. This always allowed us to have a second line that could pot some points too.

The superline era... I'm not sure. Maybe it's effective in the regular season, but in Boston v. Tampa last season, when the Bergeron line got shut down, they generated zero offense from the rest of their lineup.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The depth teams all have arguably more top end talent than the elite top line option.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
One line teams aren't a threat at all, especially considering teams like caps, pens, leafs, Tampa have pretty damn good top lines too. It's why I don't understand why some people consider Boston a cup contender. Did you guys watch them vs tampa last playoffs when the big line went off the ice?

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Teams with depth for sure. If you can have 4 lines plus your defence scoring, and then have good enough call-ups to replace injured players, that fits a playoff style format much better than one or two really good scoring lines.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
7542AC36-643D-4A87-B1B7-CEE2DF57283A.jpeg

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
One line teams aren't a threat at all, especially considering teams like caps, pens, leafs, Tampa have pretty damn good top lines too. It's why I don't understand why some people consider Boston a cup contender. Did you guys watch them vs tampa last playoffs when the big line went off the ice?

It's not like the depth didn't score all season long and during the first round vs Toronto, they just had a very unlucky stretch where no one scored in the 2nd round. It doesn't happen often but there is an element of luck to hockey. The DeBrusk - Krejci - Heinen line was a very great 2nd line last year that went ice cold vs Tampa.

Reactions: Idunkmyoreos

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I understand what you based it on, but as others have said, the fact that the depth teams have elite players makes it an easy poll. Getting beyond just the teams mentioned, you need both to win the cup. If it's an either or, and you're talking about depth like Minnesota, or top talent like Dallas, in general I would say the depth teams will probably win more consistently, but the one with elite players might give you more chance of going all the way if they happen to get hot

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
It seems like Leafs fans have an agenda :) Damn, they really hope Colorado will fall of a cliff. Hint: Mikko will score more points than Marner (or Tavares or Matthews) and he's clearly the better player.
Its pretty hilarious :D

Reactions: cgf

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Bergeron was injured then too. Top line could have done more. Nash was suffering from that concussion.

An elite top line with a suitable 2nd line is fine... much like last year, Boston needs to find one more winger to play with Krejci and Debrusk who have been very good.

A team with no talent behind the top line wouldn't have a chance, I agree.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Meh regardless of the distribution of talent the first group is just clearly better.

Dumb poll.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
OP is clearly salty about something and trying to prove a point, so I voted 1-line teams to annoy him or her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad