"Depth Scoring" is the most tired discussion around the Maple Leafs.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The premise is fundamentally incorrect, but even if it was correct, it would be the results creating the "system" more than the "system" creating the results.
We had no problem giving non-core 4 pieces minutes and opportunity in past years when they were good, had earned it, and could be relied on.
We have some rookies this year (including multiple acclimating to higher GP workloads), and a lot of our forward depth outside of that disappointed in their opportunities, don't PK, haven't earned more PP responsibility, and can't be relied on in defensive situations.

The core is great. Depth scoring is good. The defense is good. Everything is great...... too bad we just so unlucky and lose all the time....

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
What is there to say really?

The system seems to be built on the premise that Matthews needs his cookies. After that it's Tavares who needs his cookies, then Nylander, then Marner, etc.

Players like Knies, Domi, Jarncrok, Bertuzzi all suffer because they get less ice time, less PP, etc.

In the playoffs it would be beneficial if the depth scored, but it's more beneficial if the stars are scoring.

Keefe will no doubt load up the top line like a minor league coach would in order to produce.
jfI'd love to see others contribute, but you can be sure they won't even get a chance.

Depth scoring issues? Sure. They don't get a chance so they don't score goals.
when your D is dump and youre playing most of the tine in your defensive end, its hard to get secondary scoring.

watch team like boston, carolina, vegas or take any good hockry team, whatrver whos playing in their bottom 6, they producing at higher rate

Why? they are just having more offe dive time because they defend pretty well and dont have to defend as much.

exemple a 3rd line playing 4 minute in a game in offensive zone vs a rd line playing 2 min... whatever if the 3rd playing 4 min is better or worst, they will producing at higher rate than the 3rd playing 2 min

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It's too much of an NBA starting lineup and bench mentality on this team for my liking.

If the team was actually committed to spreading it around, there's no real reason why at various times Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares can't be spread out on 3 or 4 separate lines and each attempt to uplift some of the depth guys, with 2 even PP units with the big guns spread out between them. Maybe everyone scores less individually but that production could be distributed more throughout the lineup, build an identity, make it harder to defend one or two units.
Would love to see this tried but we know it wont be.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Our depth never scores under Keefe.

He's the easiest guy to replace right now to see what this team is gonna do but we won't for reasons.

Reactions: Buds17

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't read your posts anymore - I just know what you're going to say. The team had no flaws under Dubas, and we just got unlucky... and we're suddenly flawed under a different GM.
Not reading my posts explains why you're so wrong about what I say (and about things in general), but it doesn't explain why you're quoting posts you didn't even read to post a response that has nothing to do with the quote.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The premise is fundamentally incorrect, but even if it was correct, it would be the results creating the "system" more than the "system" creating the results.
We had no problem giving non-core 4 pieces minutes and opportunity in past years when they were good, had earned it, and could be relied on.
We have some rookies this year (including multiple acclimating to higher GP workloads), and a lot of our forward depth outside of that disappointed in their opportunities, don't PK, haven't earned more PP responsibility, and can't be relied on in defensive situations.
No. These things are independent. Although I cannot articulate it at this moment (just finished work).

It's a flawed team through coaching, management (I have to give BT some slack due to how new he is), President's vision, core players, etc. The results are not great, and it's truly hard to stand behind them thinking they are going to flip a switch and find success in the playoffs.

If people want to come down on Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, etc. then fine. I just don't feel like they've been give much of a chance.

No. These things are independent. Although I cannot articulate it at this moment (just finished work).

It's a flawed team through coaching, management (I have to give BT some slack due to how new he is), President's vision, core players, etc. The results are not great, and it's truly hard to stand behind them thinking they are going to flip a switch and find success in the playoffs.

If people want to come down on Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, etc. then fine. I just don't feel like they've been give much of a chance.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not really sure how they haven't "been given a chance". Knies and Bertuzzi have spent almost the whole season in the top-6 playing with superstars, and getting in the mid-teens in minutes. The only one on the team where the minutes and opportunity haven't really matched their performance is Robertson, but while I disagree with it, it's not exactly a rare thing for 22 year old rookies to go through.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Give the top four players a line each. Maby being a fourth line center will make Tavares angry and show some emotions. probably not.

matthews 1st line
marner line 2nd line
Nylander 3rd line
Tavares 4th line

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Not really sure how they haven't "been given a chance". Knies and Bertuzzi have spent almost the whole season in the top-6 playing with superstars, and getting in the mid-teens in minutes. The only one on the team where the minutes and opportunity haven't really matched their performance is Robertson, but while I disagree with it, it's not exactly a rare thing for 22 year old rookies to go through.
Well part of the game is the PP. I never get to see Knies, Bertuzzi, or Domi. I know it doesn't sound right, but it feels like they are never playing. I am not backing this up with stats/minutes. It just doesn't feel like they are part of big moments.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well part of the game is the PP. I never get to see Knies, Bertuzzi, or Domi. I know it doesn't sound right, but it feels like they are never playing. I am not backing this up with stats/minutes. It just doesn't feel like they are part of big moments.
They play PP2, and none of them have really earned a PP promotion. Depth should be capable of being effective without PP1 minutes.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
It is not first about scoring it is about effort, passion, involvement.
Our 3rd and 4th lines add nothing, no goals, no speed, no defense and especially no passion.
Not once can I recall that either line changing the direction of the game. Last year was not much difference. They cannot out muscle, out check, out score most of other teams 3 and 4.
They also rarely add expertise in penalty kill or pp (not needed on pp on thus team). Kampf is suppose to be faceoff guy, but he has been liability.
Watching Flames and Rangers. Not sure how to tell who 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines are. Very balanced. Not saying we should be like them, just saying all lines participate with passion.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1. No team would have depth scoring if their bottom 6 starts the play 80% or more in the Dzone.
2. The 3rd wheel in the top 6 are more puck retriever more than anything else. Remembered what AM and MM said when Keefe promoted Calle to their line last season.
3. Keefe cater to AM and JT on their respective line way too much. It is no coincidence that guys usually have their best games when they are not on a line with JT and even AM.
4. Still don’t understand why Keefe won’t split the core into 3 lines.

Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad