Prospect Info: Denton Mateychuk 12th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
On the subject of BPA, here's Jarmo:

"The Blue Jackets took right-shot defenseman David Jiricek (6-4, 198 pounds) at No. 6, adding a big, physical blueliner with a slap shot that can break bones. He finishes checks and, at open ice, a bit of a throwback.

Then, at No. 12, the Jackets took left-shot defenseman Denton Mateychuk (5-11, 188), a smooth-skating, puck-carrying game-changer who is very much a product of the new NHL, where blueliners of any size can impact a game.

We talk about taking the best player available,” Kekalainen said. “Those are the guys we thought were the best players (on the board) at the time, so that’s the philosophy we stick to. We got two really good defensemen. You can never have too many of them.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
On the subject of BPA, here's Jarmo:

"The Blue Jackets took right-shot defenseman David Jiricek (6-4, 198 pounds) at No. 6, adding a big, physical blueliner with a slap shot that can break bones. He finishes checks and, at open ice, a bit of a throwback.

Then, at No. 12, the Jackets took left-shot defenseman Denton Mateychuk (5-11, 188), a smooth-skating, puck-carrying game-changer who is very much a product of the new NHL, where blueliners of any size can impact a game.

We talk about taking the best player available,” Kekalainen said. “Those are the guys we thought were the best players (on the board) at the time, so that’s the philosophy we stick to. We got two really good defensemen. You can never have too many of them.

Um, I explained this already using many more words.

Reactions: koteka and Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Mateychuk isn't even 18 yet. If I understand correctly, he won't be eligible to play in the AHL until 2024-25?

That's sort of an issue for a player that plays a very junior game. He has an outstanding processor so I like his odds of adjusting to whatever league he finds himself in, but it would be best not to leave him in the WHL for two more years. I'd prefer one more year there and then take a step up the ladder, you want him adjusting to a more pro style. Maybe we'll see Mateychuk sent to Finland in 2023.

Michael Smitley

Casual Fan
Aug 25, 2012
Sylvania, OH
Mateychuk isn't even 18 yet. If I understand correctly, he won't be eligible to play in the AHL until 2024-25?

That's sort of an issue for a player that plays a very junior game. He has an outstanding processor so I like his odds of adjusting to whatever league he finds himself in, but it would be best not to leave him in the WHL for two more years. I'd prefer one more year there and then take a step up the ladder, you want him adjusting to a more pro style. Maybe we'll see Mateychuk sent to Finland in 2023.
He will be eligible to play in AHL this season. He turns 18 before the September 15 cutoff date

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He will be eligible to play in AHL this season. He turns 18 before the September 15 cutoff date

I was referring to the CHL AHL age agreement.

All NHL-affiliated players in those three junior leagues, even those under NHL contract, are ineligible to play in the AHL until they turn 20 or have completed four CHL seasons

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

If he's up for moving to EU for a season, I'd rather see him in SHL. But it feels like NA juniors going to EU is not a thing, even though I'd be beneficial for many. Outside the covid season, I can't think of many cases. Matthews is the only one that comes to mind

Michael Smitley

Casual Fan
Aug 25, 2012
Sylvania, OH
Dominating a league you're too good for is also equally as bad, you start picking up bad habits that work against inferior players, that won't work against bigger stronger faster competition
Maybe Europe is the middle ground like Kiwi said a few posts back. Is there a precedent for making that move? Does CHL also have an age rule for EU leagues or is it just AHL?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
For the longest time I though my the kid’s name was Matty-Chuck. Once I learned the correct pronunciation, it reminded me of retired NFL players Tony Dorset and Andre Tippet, who each changed the emphasis of their last name from the first to the second syllable after they got drafted.

I realize that’s not what Denton did, that it was just my erroneous pronunciation, but it reminded me of it nonetheless.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012

His skating is the least of my concerns.

What seems really odd is that some people judge his skating as a strength and others as a weakness. It probably depends on whether you are judging skating based on speed alone.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
What seems really odd is that some people judge his skating as a strength and others as a weakness. It probably depends on whether you are judging skating based on speed alone.
In fairness to his detractors I didn't send any defensive/backwards skating clips and those are their main gripes I think

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

We have a better chance of him being in the NHL than Finland after one year

It’s incredibly likely he’s going to juniors for two years before making the jump

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just FYI, I am pretty sure both of his brothers are 6'3". He was really young for this draft and he might have some more growing to do still. (Also could have sworn I saw an interview where he said his dad is 6'3)

I was really high on this kid, I don't think it was a reach at all FWIW

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just FYI, I am pretty sure both of his brothers are 6'3". He was really young for this draft and he might have some more growing to do still. (Also could have sworn I saw an interview where he said his dad is 6'3)

I was really high on this kid, I don't think it was a reach at all FWIW

I'm just making the usual comment that it is very rare for players to be growing at age 18 if they weren't continuously growing at 17. He's most likely topped out. Most boys are done growing at 17.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm just making the usual comment that it is very rare for players to be growing at age 18 if they weren't continuously growing at 17. He's most likely topped out. Most boys are done growing at 17.
Definitely don't think he will be as big as his brothers are listed, but I won't be surprised if he is listed at like 6'1" 200 lbs on Columbus's site in a few years at all either.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Definitely don't think he will be as big as his brothers are listed, but I won't be surprised if he is listed at like 6'1" 200 lbs on Columbus's site in a few years at all either.

I can't speak for how they'll measure him but I would be astonished if Mateychuk actually grows 2 inches. That is really rare and only the ~10% guys who are continuously growing in their late teens do it. He most likely will be 5'11 for life. And that would be fine, it hasn't hurt Adam Fox.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I can't speak for how they'll measure him but I would be astonished if Mateychuk actually grows 2 inches. That is really rare and only the ~10% guys who are continuously growing in their late teens do it. He most likely will be 5'11 for life. And that would be fine, it hasn't hurt Adam Fox.
Call me rare then... grew about 2.5" and 30lbs from late 17 to mid 18 (Freshman year of college). Went in at 5'7" and was 5'9.5" by the end of my freshman year. 135lbs to 160lbs (soccer, so not just the Freshmen 20ish haha)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad