Dennis Wideman retires, joins Kitchener (OHL) as assistant coach

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Played the victim? The guy barely said anything about the incident after the fact, it was doctors that diagnosed him with the concussion. I don't think you grasp what playing the victim really is. The fact that you think your personal opinion (that doctors and an impartial arbitrator disagree with) is the be all and end all is the only thing that is sickening.

Keep drinking the kool aid M.M., before you flap your gums, maybe ask what I base my evidence on. Here is part of what the arbiter Oldham wrote, citing testimony from the N.H.L. director of officiating, Stephen Walkom : Wideman “was upset, he’s skating to the bench, and he made a mistake, and he crosschecked the linesman, and he knocked him to the ice with enough force to hurt him, even though he probably didn’t intentionally mean to hurt him.”

I'm not arguing his intent, other than his his intent was to run over the lineman, that was obvious, only Wideman knows if he intended to hurt him, but one thing is for sure, he didn't even bother to see if the guy was alright, just sat on the bench like nothing happened.

I base my opinion on facts, Widmean skated in a straight line and ran over Henderson hard, crosschecking him, ignored that he ran him over and had a seat on the bench. Flatly denied he had a concussion after the game. Only changed his tune when the team reslized the hit could be an issue, then all of a sudden he had a concussion, how convenient.

This is Wideman's text to a teammate: “The only problem and the only reason I’m here is cause the stupid refs and stupid media.” Yeah, sounds like playing the victim to me. Keep defending Wideman, looks good on you.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Keep drinking the kool aid M.M., before you flap your gums, maybe ask what I base my evidence on. Here is part of what the arbiter Oldham wrote, citing testimony from the N.H.L. director of officiating, Stephen Walkom : Wideman “was upset, he’s skating to the bench, and he made a mistake, and he crosschecked the linesman, and he knocked him to the ice with enough force to hurt him, even though he probably didn’t intentionally mean to hurt him.”

I'm not arguing his intent, other than his his intent was to run over the lineman, that was obvious, only Wideman knows if he intended to hurt him, but one thing is for sure, he didn't even bother to see if the guy was alright, just sat on the bench like nothing happened.

I base my opinion on facts, Widmean skated in a straight line and ran over Henderson hard, crosschecking him, ignored that he ran him over and had a seat on the bench. Flatly denied he had a concussion after the game. Only changed his tune when the team reslized the hit could be an issue, then all of a sudden he had a concussion, how convenient.

This is Wideman's text to a teammate: “The only problem and the only reason I’m here is cause the stupid refs and stupid media.” Yeah, sounds like playing the victim to me. Keep defending Wideman, looks good on you.

I'm going to try not to say too much here. But I actually know Wideman through association. And by all accounts he is a great, down-to-earth type of guy. He had a spotless record before the Henderson hit, and I always liked him as a player. So I hope you get where I'm coming from.

Mitts' explanation is spot on.

Wideman made a mistake that everyone would have easily moved past if he had reacted properly. At any point he could have owned the mistake, but he refused to do so.

He could have stopped on his way to the bench to see if Don Henderson was ok. Or he could have showed concern once he got to the bench. Or he could have openly said he'd accept any discipline rather than appeal it. He could have owned the mistake in private with friends, instead of calling the media and refs stupid. He could have done a thousand things, but he didn't. He started off in a hole the second he hit Henderson, and he just kept digging. He made it so much worse for himself.

That said, I think people are holding it against him a bit too much. But there's no question that he handled it the exact opposite of how he should have. The NHL, the refs, and many fans have the right to be mad about it.

Reactions: Mitts and Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Should have been banned by the NHL after ending a refs career. His suspension was a joke.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Dear Wideman,

This is how I will always remember you.

EDIT: Already posted... but deserves to be seen again... and again.... and again. :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

1. Walkom's job is to defend the officials, what the f*** else would he say? Taking his word as gospel is like taking Bin Laden's word that infidels are evil, it's an extremely biased opinion.

2. Clearly you've never had a concussion, because it can cause you to react in that manner.

3. Those texts weren't about the incident, they were about the refs threating to no call games to force a maximum suspension and the media vilifying him. Plus they were to a teammate, not for public consumption. Without context, you really have no god damn clue.

4. The only person that knows 100% for sure is Wideman himself. Even if it was on purpose and a mistake, he would have to be downright stupid to admit it publicly as it would literally cost him millions of dollars as their is a lawsuit.

This is how I look at things, if you were doing your job for over a decade and hurt someone in a situation where doctors are on your side with a medical explanation, I would give you the benefit of the doubt too. And I certainly wouldn't say you should never work again in that industry.

member 105785

for years he was the widest man in the NHL, finally that title can be passed on to someone else

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
1. Walkom's job is to defend the officials, what the **** else would he say? Taking his word as gospel is like taking Bin Laden's word that infidels are evil, it's an extremely biased opinion.

2. Clearly you've never had a concussion, because it can cause you to react in that manner.

3. Those texts weren't about the incident, they were about the refs threating to no call games to force a maximum suspension and the media vilifying him. Plus they were to a teammate, not for public consumption. Without context, you really have no god damn clue.

4. The only person that knows 100% for sure is Wideman himself. Even if it was on purpose and a mistake, he would have to be downright stupid to admit it publicly as it would literally cost him millions of dollars as their is a lawsuit.

This is how I look at things, if you were doing your job for over a decade and hurt someone in a situation where doctors are on your side with a medical explanation, I would give you the benefit of the doubt too. And I certainly wouldn't say you should never work again in that industry.

Regarding each point.

1. Walkom's testimony states the obvious, I mean it's on video, it's as clear as day. I mean if anything his statement was generous to Wideman.

2. Your point is ridiculous, concussions have different effects on people, but most are pretty obvious, watch videos of players getting concussed, I've never seen one lash out and run someone over after sustaining one. So I guess all those players who never reacted like Wideman, must never have had a concussion either, by your logic.

3. Irrelevant if they were to a teammate, it gives a glimpse into his state of mind. If they were in fact made under a different context, then I do agree with you there, of course context matters.

4. If he had admitted he messed up, he may have avoided a lawsuit, and certainly his reputation wouldn't have taken such a beating, people in general can accept when someone messes up, if they are sincere about admitting their error. But when a person acts the way Wideman did, showing zero concern for Henderson, well it leaves people with a bad impression.

So basically because a doctor said that Wideman could possibly act this way after a concussion, we just throw out all the evidence that points towards Wideman's guilt. We ignore the fact that he skated no problem at all straight line, to crosscheck a linesman into the boards, not wobbly one bit. We ignore that he himself said it was just his neck or shoulder that bothered him, that he did not have a concussion, we ignore that no concussion protocol was followed after the incident, because well, there were no concussion signs and as Wideman said himself, it was his neck that bothered him.

Only after the game did the team come out and say he had a concussion. The refs are biased, sure. You think the team isn't ? Difference between the two stories is one makes sense, the other doesn't.

As I said in my last post, only Wideman knows his intent, so we agree on that, but clearly he ran over the linesman in a violent way, and showed zero concern for him. He hit him intentionally, only his intent in regards to whether he meant to hurt him or not is in question, at least that's how I see it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Only after the game did the team come out and say he had a concussion. The refs are biased, sure. You think the team isn't ? Difference between the two stories is one makes sense, the other doesn't.
Where did I say anything about the team? During this process independent doctors were brought in.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Where did I say anything about the team? During this process independent doctors were brought in.

My implication is you bring up bias, but only apply it to one side, the team came out with the information that Wideman had a concussion after the game, after the post game interviews where Wideman said it was his neck and shoulder that bothered him, I mean they(the media) specifically asked him if he had a concussion, he reiterated it was just his neck.

I believe they (Wideman/ the team) decided to go with the concussion excuse when they realized shit was hitting the fan. (that's my personal opinion) They had motivation to do it, protecting the team and players interests, that was before any independent doctor's came in. At least that is my recollection.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
When he was in junior I don't know if people remember this or not but his coach Bert Templeton got mad at him and apparently choked him on the bench. He was then traded and for the rest of his career in the OHL when I got the chance to get close enough I always told him I was going to get Templeton after him.
you sound like a heck of a nice guy ..

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
It's really not. The officials should stick together. They need to be protected to the highest degree. They are responsible for the integrity of the game. If you are now able to get away with bumping or nudging an official. Your now opening up the integrity of the game. Your trying to intimidate them to get a call. And everything is lost.
The fans are the ones who can influence a game. And they have more of a impact then anyone

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This whole thing was handled wrong by all parties. I really do think Wideman sustained a concussion from a check from behind seconds before the incident. After he ran the official from behind you could see him sitting on the bench looking dazed and confused. Are we really sure Wideman even knew what he was doing. I know about concussions from experience and I can tell you it isn't a pleasant feeling. Didn't remember anything that happened for several minutes. I'm not condoning Widemans action but I'm saying that the league didn't even take into account that he may have suffered a concussion.
And for the record the official the ran was a linesman and not a referee.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
He will be remembered forever

The St. Louis Blues, where defensemen writes history.

xglyi.gif

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Finally this gutless puke is out of the league.
You obviously don't know anything about Wideman. This incident is about the only black mark on his career. He has never been a dirty or out of control player. Its not like he has had a history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad