Dennis Wideman and Patrick Weller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
guitaraholic said:
Anyone here think they have NHL potential?

Watched Wideman in a Flames prospect camp earlier this summer and to me he didn't stand out any more than Richie Regehr or Mark Giordano, two guys that the Flames signed. He has NHL potential but he'll have to work at it and improve his game in the minors. He's definitely not a sure bet.

guitaraholic*

I've never believed in the 'sure bet' thing anyway, esp. with guys that are signed as undrafted players or in this case a guy who was drafted but never signed. Either way I appreciate the feedback. I personally am not counting on them for much but I've never seen them play. I just assume prospects will fail until they prove otherwise.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Denis Wideman is a solid defender and has great offensive ability. I see him over his career as a guy who does exceptionally well in the AHL by the time he's 26-27 but only plays a handful of NHL games due to the translation of his offensive skills from junior to the pro game.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I've watched Wideman the past 3 years in London many times and let me tell you he has a cannon of a shot. This season he had a breakout defensive season by having I think the top +/- in the OHL. Having said all that, I don't know if he will make it to the big dance. He is small by NHL standards and not the fastest skater, so if wants to make the NHL he has to improve both those attributes. IMO he'll spend 2-3 years in the AHL and become an impact player in that league and if he continues to develop his speed and strength he may one day end up in the NHL. But the odds are against him.

Good luck Dennis

guitaraholic*

trahans99 said:
Did Wideman sign with St.Louis, I forget the team he signed with.

he and weller signed with St.Louis, yes.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
JOHNBOY said:
Not to be totally negative, but I was happy to see Buffalo not sign Wideman...

Personally I would have liked to see him get signed and stuck in the ECHL, possibly working his way into the Amerks. Not a big deal though, I wish him luck in St. Louis.

guitaraholic*

JOHNBOY said:
Not to be totally negative, but I was happy to see Buffalo not sign Wideman...

why is that? for hockey reasons or was it something about his contract demands that soured you on him? thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad