Player Discussion: Dennis Seidenberg

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Seidenberg was just named the best defenseman in the IIHF world championship tournament. Pretty cool honor.

https://eyesonisles.com/2017/05/22/...ennis-seidenberg-named-top-defenseman-worlds/

There's also this article.
http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/...-made-mistake-in-letting-dennis-seidenberg-go

" the buyout of Seidenberg is an extremely legitimate second guess of Bruins management in a year where they did"

I'm happy to have him on the isles. The guys big, tough, and versatile. He knows how to play the position. He had a much better first half of the season but overall for his contract we got a lot of bang for our buck. Glad he was re-signed.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Unless we lose 2 defensemen through trade and ED, he should be our 7D next year

Really? You think Pelech, Hickey, and Mayfield are better options?

Hate to break it to anyone around here, but we have an "OK" defense and no real depth. Reason # 5,683,091.773 why I would NOT expose de Haan or Pulock in the epansion draft and sooner draft multiple draft picks to get Vegas to take Clutterbuck, Cizikas, or Kulemin first.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Really? You think Pelech, Hickey, and Mayfield are better options?

Hate to break it to anyone around here, but we have an "OK" defense and no real depth. Reason # 5,683,091.773 why I would NOT expose de Haan or Pulock in the epansion draft and sooner draft multiple draft picks to get Vegas to take Clutterbuck, Cizikas, or Kulemin first.

we have a solid d group but there's definitely room for improvement.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I thought he faded bigtime last year after a solid start. He was one of the slowest guys on the team and it hurt us. I think some of the advanced metrics reflected this also.

He's still useful depth/a #7, but hopefully he's only used to give guys a spell on back to backs next year.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Unless we lose 2 defensemen through trade and ED, he should be our 7D next year

Isles should look to trade someone liek Hamonic in a deal for Duchene/etc.

Might not happen, but assume Leddy/Boychuk/De Haan/Hamonic as locks, Seidenberg and POulockj shoudl eb 5/6 and not Hickey, Pelech, Mayfield. If nobody is moved, Seids should still be on the 3rd pair over Hicks

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm saying that if Hamonic doesn't return to form this season or de Haan, Leddy, or Boychuk are injured, you're going to see how quickly this "decent' defense will turn to poor.

To me keeping Leddy, Boychuk, Hamonic, de Haan, and Pulock is MANDATORY. A good top-4 defenseman is the hardest asset to acquire. Every team is looking for more talent/depth on their blueline, and you should not be dealing top-4 D-men (much less letting them go for nothing in an expansion draft), unless you have a replacement top-4 in your system ready to plug in.

Reactions: MattyW

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
I have more confidence in the Hindenburg's transportation record than Seidenberg's ability to play defense. Another fantastic Garth re-signing!

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I have more confidence in the Hindenburg's transportation record than Seidenberg's ability to play defense. Another fantastic Garth re-signing!

He plays really hard, and knows how to play, but can't move it is like he has Chris Christie on his back trying to get to loose pucks

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
The new Brian Strait. I don't know why Isles love signing washed up vets and then playing them tons of minutes and costing the team games. We're not even at the cap floor anymore yet Chimera and Seidenburg are out there constantly doing terribly.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We got him at his very last year of being an effective nhl Defensman. Then we gambled and re-signed him and his age and wear and tear finally caught up this year.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Does anyone else think he will retire and stay on as a coach ? Seems like an Islander move
Barzal lives with him and his family as we all know. He is close with the Seidenberg kids too . Now this was a very good move by the team . Set Barzy up with a grounded family man. How many years did JT live with Doug Weight ? Now we can't get rid of this guy . Seids was the bottom pair vet our team needed . He just ran out of gas . If we made the playoffs he would see action . D wins in the playoffs .

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Na, Seidenberg has too options.
Play with his brother for EHC München (Red Bull München) in the DEL and win the championship a couple of times.
Or he will be singed by another Nhl team.

He wants to stay in America. But he still wants to play.

My wish would be that he pplays in the NHL. Just my 2 cents on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad