Demko injured and potentially out for rest of series UPDATE: Demko is done?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
With the amount of points the Canucks had and their matchup, if the Canucks are going to get bounced because of a goalie in THIS nhl where every goalie sucks for the most part then the Canucks have no business even being in the playoffs. If the Canucks are even a decent team then they should be able to get to the second round. Either Canucks fans are being way too defeatist or the team was never that good and Demko was the equivalent of prime Lundqvist who dragged mediocre rangers team into the playoffs.

Last edited:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
With the amount of points the Canucks had and their matchup, if the Canucks are going to get bounced because of a goalie in THIS nhl where every goalie sucks for the most part then the Canucks have no business even being in the playoffs.
The canucks really shouldnt even be making the playoffs, we were literally stuck being a bottom 10 team for years.
To make this big of a jump in standings is already amazing, if you expected immediate playoff success then youre just being silly.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The problem with goaltenders who start to get injured, they don’t miraculously get healthy and have a long career ie. price and bishop come to mind. Once the wheels start falling off, that’s it. Demko will never be healthy enough to play every other night into a deep cup run. The Canucks need to find a goalie this summer. Relying on demko I would be an unwise venture.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
With the amount of points the Canucks had and their matchup, if the Canucks are going to get bounced because of a goalie in THIS nhl where every goalie sucks for the most part then the Canucks have no business even being in the playoffs. If the Canucks are even a decent team then they should be able to get to the second round. Either Canucks fans are being way too defeatist or the team was never that good and Demko was the equivalent of prime Lundqvist who dragged mediocre rangers team into the playoffs.
It's so apparent that you haven't watched us and are speaking in ignorant generalities. I'm not sure why.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Lol the drop off from demko > desmith/silov is massive, desmith couldn't even keep a .500 record when demko got hurt for several weeks towards the end of the season. Saros is one of the best goalies in the league for several years... it's quite obvious there is a mismatch atm.

Reactions: Szechwan

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
So, like the same way McDavid dragged the Oilers into the playoffs? Or pretty much any good player "drags" their team into the playoffs?
I mean, how do teams make the playoffs without good players?
The fact is, the Canucks aren't as good without Demko, just like any team wouldn't be as good without one of their best players. Gotta hope that this unites the team and one of the backups catches fire. But a very difficult journey just became significantly tougher.

Reactions: Norwegianoiler

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Sucks for him - but Vancouver should still be able to beat Nashville. It was going to be a tight series anyways, but I don't think Demko was the needed difference maker.

If they win - hopefully he can come back for round 2.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I think they should put in Silovs and you hope it’s a bring in a virtual unknown situation like Dryden/Penney/Roy 86/Halak/Ward/Billington/Murray scenario and hope the unknown catches lightning in a bottle. DeSmith is ok, but you know what you have with him and he’s what he is, a decent backup. If Silovs bombs so be it, because you knew you wouldn’t win with DeSmith either.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Done for the series or done for the playoffs?

Edit: Had to go back a few pages and saw he's done for the playoffs. That's awful news

Reactions: Summer Rose

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think they should put in Silovs and you hope it’s a bring in a virtual unknown situation like Dryden/Penney/Roy 86/Halak/Ward/Billington/Murray scenario and hope the unknown catches lightning in a bottle. DeSmith is ok, but you know what you have with him and he’s what he is, a decent backup. If Silovs bombs so be it, because you knew you wouldn’t win with DeSmith either.
I get what you're going after here, but Silovs has 9 NHL games over 2 seasons. Roy had 47 regular season games in 85-86. Halak had 101 games before 2010. Penney and Dryden are comparable, but it Penney was washed out of Montreal and Dryden benefited from having 9(?) hall of fame players in front of him. So, what you're really asking is for Silovs to pull off a Dryden, and I don't think the horses are in front of him to do that.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I know save % is a team stat and it's not a very accurate way to measure ability so take all this with a grain of salt, but I wanted to see the difference in save % for the starter and backup of every playoff team in the west.

Dallas -0.006
Winnipeg +0.006
Colorado -0.002
Edmonton +0.003
Los Angeles +0.008
Los Vegas +0.001
Nashville +0.002

Their save %'s are all very close, and on average the backups are even higher. This makes sense because they play for the same team, behind the same players in the same system, but get the assignments against the weaker teams and aren't heavily scouted like the starters. Now we get to Vancouver.

Vancouver -0.022

That is a huge drop. While it's 100% their own fault for not carrying a capable backup, they are by far the team that suffers the most when not playing their starter.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Nucks need to go hard after another goalie and start running a tandem next year to lighten the load on Demko.

Any games we have left this postseason are just gravy lol.
And I don't think that's any slight against Demko, that's just part of the modern NHL.

You don't want to pinch pennies at backup goalie. You can get away with a decent young backup on an ELC but you need at least 2 good goalies to get you through a season, and sometimes more than 2 (Carolina started 4 goalies and Kochetkov was the leader with 40 starts.)

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Lol the drop off from demko > desmith/silov is massive, desmith couldn't even keep a .500 record when demko got hurt for several weeks towards the end of the season. Saros is one of the best goalies in the league for several years... it's quite obvious there is a mismatch atm.
The preds barely made the playoffs with Saros while Vancouver finished first. I know Demko is a loss for the Canucks but it’s not a good excuse if they get bounced the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad