Injury Report: Demers out for the season per Gambo (UPD: Recalled from Tucson 3/3/19)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
ACL/MCL would probably be the whole season, so meniscus?

Chayka further went on to explain players respond differently to treatment so that’s why he’s hedging on it.

My daughter, (future athletic trainer), saw how Demers went down and she immediately told me it was a season ender.

Appearantly Demers will be rehabbing with the same guy who works with Chychrun. So we’ll see how it turns out.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Passenger list:
Goligoski
Stepan
Perlini
Panik
Demers

Can't have five of your most important skaters all questionable. It's a domino effect, too many of them just compounds into a team that doesn't care as much as it should. They definitely lost something trading away guys like Martinook and Domi. Chychrun and Dvorak being on the IR isn't helping.

Bunting and Garland should be up here, some hungry dudes with at least a little swagger. Can't be worse than Archibald and Kempe.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Passenger list:
Goligoski
Stepan
Perlini
Panik
Demers

Can't have five of your most important skaters all questionable. It's a domino effect, too many of them just compounds into a team that doesn't care as much as it should. They definitely lost something trading away guys like Martinook and Domi. Chychrun and Dvorak being on the IR isn't helping.

Bunting and Garland should be up here, some hungry dudes with at least a little swagger. Can't be worse than Archibald and Kempe.

Wise words, analogous to the excerpt below, taken from page 4 of the LAPD Rampart Investigative findings:

“The major cause in the lack of integrity in American police officers is mediocrity.”

Captain Swope went on to explain that mediocrity stems from the failure to hold officers responsible and accountable. It comes from a lack of commitment, laziness, excessive tolerance and the use of kid gloves. He felt that dealing with mediocrity is perhaps the greatest contemporary challenge to American law enforcement. When asked to explain how mediocrity is dangerous, Captain Swope drew an analogy of the bell curve. At the high end of the bell curve are those officers who practice all the core values: prudence, truth, courage, justice, honesty and responsibility. At the other end, are the officers with few of those values. In the large middle are those officers who have some or most of the core values. The extent of moral influence in a police department depends on the extent to which the lower and upper portions influence those in the middle...

...When officers in the middle see that officers at the bottom end are not dealt with, they sometimes begin to imitate their behavior. Similarly, when those at the top end are recognized and rewarded, they become the workplace standard.

Boring stuff for a Hockey forum, but too hard and inappropriate to try and put into my own words.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Passenger list:
Goligoski
Stepan
Perlini
Panik
Demers

I would take Perlini off that list. I know he has to take the next step, but let's give him a chance. The kids need ice time. I have no idea why so many are down on Gogo as he takes a lot of pressure off of OEL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Lyubushkin > Demers
He was very good last night, but one game does not make a season. I do think Bush will get better with more ice time. He looks very confident and poised out there.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is terrible for the Coyotes.
I think Demers has negative value for this team. He’s costing us money and not playing. He already looked slow and lazy and not committed this season. Now his knee is blown. How useless is this player going to be when he comes back in 10 months? I want him dumped.

Panik is making nearly 3m and only actually brings an honest effort for one or two games after each time he’s healthy scratched. I would prefer it if he weren’t on the team at all. Given how much of the budget he eats, I think he also represents negative value.

Even when insurance kicks in, I think @mouser estimated we’d be on the hook for most of Demers’ actual salary, when the season is all over. Given how much we’ve already paid, how long we have to wait for his coverage to start, and our remaining percentage of his coverage. Add the amount we’re paying for Panik, and it’s a huge amount of money for us to be paying two vets who don’t help our team.

For me the trade is an aging, expensive Goligoski an underperforming or underutilized Strome (who’s coaching staff has never seemed interested in) for Saad, Murphy and the very attractive benefit of ditching Demers and Panik.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Don't forget Demers was similar last year and had to be spoken to by RT, in order to get him to pick it up. It seems he reverted back to who/what he is. before getting injured.

Reactions: _Del_

rt

May 13, 2004
Don't forget Demers was similar last year and had to be spoken to by RT, in order to get him to pick it up. It seems he reverted back to who/what he is. before getting injured.
I was ready to call him a fat loser before the goalnon the injury game. Guy defends like Daria plays volleyball. He’s a clown and we should dump him. We have waaaaaay too many players that think it’s cool to show up 10-20 games late for the season. Way too many so called veteran leaders like Demers, Goligoski and Stepan who do this.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think Demers has negative value for this team. He’s costing us money and not playing. He already looked slow and lazy and not committed this season. Now his knee is blown. How useless is this player going to be when he comes back in 10 months? I want him dumped.

Panik is making nearly 3m and only actually brings an honest effort for one or two games after each time he’s healthy scratched. I would prefer it if he weren’t on the team at all. Given how much of the budget he eats, I think he also represents negative value.

Even when insurance kicks in, I think @mouser estimated we’d be on the hook for most of Demers’ actual salary, when the season is all over. Given how much we’ve already paid, how long we have to wait for his coverage to start, and our remaining percentage of his coverage. Add the amount we’re paying for Panik, and it’s a huge amount of money for us to be paying two vets who don’t help our team.

For me the trade is an aging, expensive Goligoski an underperforming or underutilized Strome (who’s coaching staff has never seemed interested in) for Saad, Murphy and the very attractive benefit of ditching Demers and Panik.
Murphy is useless. Saad is fine, but I wouldn't trade Gogo even up for him. Still say it's terrible for the Yotes.

rt

May 13, 2004
Murphy is useless. Saad is fine, but I wouldn't trade Gogo even up for him. Still say it's terrible for the Yotes.
Murphy is better than Demers. He was better as OEL’s partner than Demers has been.

By the end of this season Goligoski will be a 3rd pairing defenseman making six million dollars on a budget team.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not sure how we can improve if we keep bringing back the same failures. I'd say we need a top flight RD and Murphy has shown he isn't that. Demers isn't either, but I'd argue he's a little closer than Murphy.

Is this the basic structure of our D next season?

OEL - xxxx
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
xxxx - Demers

I don't think Demers will be moved. But I do think Goligoski will.

The D with Demers is probably Connauton, Oesterle, or Capobianco. And soon enough, POJ.

The guy with OEL reminds unknown.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Murphy is better than Demers. He was better as OEL’s partner than Demers has been.

By the end of this season Goligoski will be a 3rd pairing defenseman making six million dollars on a budget team.
Murphy isn't better than Demers and its not close. Chayka won't make this trade.

Reactions: ctwin22

rt

May 13, 2004
Murphy isn't better than Demers and its not close. Chayka won't make this trade.
Murphy is a lot better than Demers. It’s a little close, depending on the time of year, and Demers’ mood and Murphy’s health. Demers is a lazy turd. Murphy is injury prone. When both are 100% healthy and giving it their all, they’re about even. Demers mails it in for as many games as Murphy is hurt or going at partial strength. Murphy always gives an honest effort. Demers is one of those toxic mascots. The guys like him but he sets a poor example. He’s a net negative. He represents all that’s wrong with this team. He should be shot into the sun as soon as possible.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I wholly agree with RT, but their stats don't. So I dug deeper, thinking maybe Murp was "Robin", to OEL's "Batman" It seems I'm still wrong and Stone was Robin. Neither OEL or Stone have played as good since he became injured and was ultimately traded. 2015/2016 was both of their best season's. Perhaps it's Stone who should be brought back, not Murph?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I wholly agree with RT, but their stats don't. So I dug deeper, thinking maybe Murp was "Robin", to OEL's "Batman" It seems I'm still wrong and Stone was Robin. Neither OEL or Stone have played as good since he became injured and was ultimately traded. 2015/2016 was both of their best season's. Perhaps it's Stone who should be brought back, not Murph?

Stone has regressed hard, we saw some of that his last season here. Could be due to his injuries . I don't think he'll ever be the same player.

When Murphy was playing with OEL his job was to be the back stop and let OEL a little more room to maneuver out there.
Demers changes that dynamic a lot since he too will move the puck and try and make plays.

I can buy the argument there isn't much difference between the two and that Demers might be part of the problem culturally. But neither one should be on the top pair anyway. We have a world class back stop type defensemen right here right now and for whatever reason they just don't seem to want to try it again. And most of the time they did try it was during the bad days of last season when players weren't even playing the system.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Stone has regressed hard, we saw some of that his last season here. Could be due to his injuries . I don't think he'll ever be the same player.

When Murphy was playing with OEL his job was to be the back stop and let OEL a little more room to maneuver out there.
Demers changes that dynamic a lot since he too will move the puck and try and make plays.

I can buy the argument there isn't much difference between the two and that Demers might be part of the problem culturally. But neither one should be on the top pair anyway. We have a world class back stop type defensemen right here right now and for whatever reason they just don't seem to want to try it again. And most of the time they did try it was during the bad days of last season when players weren't even playing the system.

Yes, he has regressed and yes, he was bad post injury. His decline could be the injury, or perhaps he needs a better partner too. He should be comfortable on that knee by now, so, it would be easy to know whether it's a decline in mobility or apprehension, or if it's a chemistry issue. It would be awesome if this was the final year of his contract and he could audition, then be dumped if he sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad