Demers files for arbitration

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Just a note. Look at the Rangers, three arbitrations. Sather has traditionally lowballed RFAs. Not so many arbitrations in years past, but it seems the agents are catching on. It used to be that Florida and Buffalo led the league in arbitration applications.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Montreal is stupid, keep lowballing subban and once he is ufa age he will be gone.
It bears watching. If he gets to the hearing, you are likely right about him taking his skills elsewhere. He has a comp from Weber's last arbitration and he comps out higher statistically than when Weber was awarded $7.8mil/year.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Just a note. Look at the Rangers, three arbitrations. Sather has traditionally lowballed RFAs. Not so many arbitrations in years past, but it seems the agents are catching on. It used to be that Florida and Buffalo led the league in arbitration applications.

Sather lowballs the RFA that arent arb eligible since they have no power in negotiation. the arb eligible players typically get signed quicker and for more money.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Sather lowballs the RFA that arent arb eligible since they have no power in negotiation. the arb eligible players typically get signed quicker and for more money.

It hasn't just been restricted to the guys who are ineligible. I track comps and he is coming in under the comps which is highly suspect considering that they are located in NYC.

He is also one of the GMs where I saw transcripts of his arb hearings. He is one of the GMs who treats his players with disdain in arbitration. A very unusual stance these days. Another current lowballer is Poile.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
What does filing for arbitration mean? Is it good or bad?

The filing of the atbitration rights is not a bad thing. It just shows that the 2 sides aren't close and one of them wants to get it done.

Getting to the meeting itself is where it could get bad. The meeting is basically a character meeting. Where both sides are trying to get the better leverage.

So the teams will do everything to prove that the player isn't worth that much. Basically pointing out every one of the players flaws.

And the player will be doing the opposite, showing other players price tags. And all of there bonus traits they bring to the team.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
outside of the relationship between the sharks org and demers, I think if it will actually get to arbitration that it will be good money wise. i don't think Demers has been consistent enough to kill us in arbitration.

That said, im pretty sure (and hope) DW avoids the ugliness.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
outside of the relationship between the sharks org and demers, I think if it will actually get to arbitration that it will be good money wise. i don't think Demers has been consistent enough to kill us in arbitration.

That said, im pretty sure (and hope) DW avoids the ugliness.
DW goes with the numbers. He doesn't get ugly. Some GMs do get ugly and go for character issues (eg Sather).

When DW negotiates with RFAs he has already done all the work for arbitration. He gets the comps himself so that he is rarely in a position where arbitration will be hurtful. See the articles around Korolyuk's arbitration. The only issue is if the player's agent has a comp in mind that DW doesn't feel to be comparable.

I already pointed out that Demers will be difficult because of the lack of exact comps.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is a formality. DW won't let this go to arbitration since I believe if it does, Demers only gets one year and then goes UFA. Would not be a good move.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
This is a formality. DW won't let this go to arbitration since I believe if it does, Demers only gets one year and then goes UFA. Would not be a good move.

Since Demers requested arbitration, Sharks get the option of doing a 1 or 2 year deal. They must decide prior to the arbitrator's valuation however. if they don't like it they can walk.

I do agree it is a formality, and most of the teams will get contracts done.

I think Montreal is making a big mistake with Subban.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Since Demers requested arbitration, Sharks get the option of doing a 1 or 2 year deal. They must decide prior to the arbitrator's valuation however. if they don't like it they can walk.

I do agree it is a formality, and most of the teams will get contracts done.

I think Montreal is making a big mistake with Subban.

If I'm not mistaken, because he's one year from UFA, the Sharks don't get that option.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, because he's one year from UFA, the Sharks don't get that option.

I cannot keep up with the rules lol :laugh:

I seem to recall hearing something like that.

While we are on the topic of cba tidbits, someone mentioned that offer sheets require 1st, 2nd, and 3rd don't have to all be one year- is that correct?

Could the Sharks tender an OS using the 2016 1st and 3rd and 2015 2nd? Wouldn't be a bad option, though I do know a good number of potential OS are now protected by arb.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I cannot keep up with the rules lol :laugh:

I seem to recall hearing something like that.

While we are on the topic of cba tidbits, someone mentioned that offer sheets require 1st, 2nd, and 3rd don't have to all be one year- is that correct?

Could the Sharks tender an OS using the 2016 1st and 3rd and 2015 2nd? Wouldn't be a bad option, though I do know a good number of potential OS are now protected by arb.

From what I know there are some leeway with picks but I don't know the specifics.

Upon further research, the only leeway is if you owe multiple picks in the same round. If you owe two first round draft picks, for instance, you must have them available in the next three drafts. If you owe three first round picks, you must have them availble in the next four drafts and so on.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
KKurzCSN 2:46pm via Twitter for iPhone
Wilson on Demers: "We will get him under contract. Now, it's just trying to find middle ground that works for him and for us." #SJSharks

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Hmmm, Interesting development. I wonder how many arbitration cases proceed with said player still on the team three years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad