Injury Report: DeKeyser Out; Ouellet Recalled

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
If Ouellet picks up a few points I think we will see Holland actually waive Lashoff. Bringing up XO for such a short term injury seems to suggest he is wanted full time... hell, we already know Babs wants him up.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Would Lashoff even get claimed?

Regardless, if you lose him do you really lose much if he's replaced by Jensen or Marchenko in an emergency situation?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
May be me just using hindsight.

But they should have put Abdelkader on IR as soon as they realized he was out longer than the weekend.

Then they could have called up Pulkkinen until Dekeyser got hurt, and send down Pulkks and call up XO.

Oh well. I just want to see him get games in. He's playing great hockey.

Where does he go is the problem though. He won't put Helm on the 4th line, and Pookie shouldn't be getting 4th line minutes.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Where does he go is the problem though. He won't put Helm on the 4th line, and Pookie shouldn't be getting 4th line minutes.

If Abby is injured, put Pulks in the top9 somewhere, drop Jurco to the 4th. Our 4th line started scoring when Jurco was down there and they get a lot of icetime. If we can have 4 lines that are a threat to score I'm all for it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pump-up song for when Xavier Ouellet is in the line-up

(It's the edited version)

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
St. James' article about the good impression that Ouellet left with the Wings.

The week Ouellet was here was revealing, because even after DeKeyser came back two games ago, Ouellet stayed, even with Jakub Kindl and Brian Lashoff as alternatives.

That's because Mike Babcock saw Ouellet as a better option.

"I just think he's a hockey player," Babcock said. "He just makes plays. For me it's real simple - each and every day you've got decisions to make. I try not to confuse the player and the person, ever, I just try to play the players that are going to give us the best chance to win."

The phrase "he's just a hockey player" sounds very basic, but it's Babcock's way of describing someone who has all the right ingredients, like drive and skill and the ability to shake off mistakes. That's Ouellet all right.

"He's a good player," Justin Abdelkader said. "He was a good player in juniors, in Grand Rapids. He's come in and been steady, can skate well, move the puck, makes the simple play."

Earlier Friday, Ouellet spoke of making the most of his experience, determined to reward Babcock's confidence in him.

"It feels good, for sure," Ouellet said. "Every time I've come up here I've had some good games, I think, and played some good hockey. I just want to help this team win, and they are giving me their trust for that, and that feels good.

"Everything is going great. I had a great summer and prepared the right way so I felt confident coming to camp, and then I've playing good, so the confidence stays up."

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
There's no doubt that Ouellet deserves to be a full time guy. They should waive Lashoff, then Marchenko, Jensen, or Sproul should be the 8 guy. Hoarding 'depth' is superfluous.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
There's no doubt that Ouellet deserves to be a full time guy. They should waive Lashoff, then Marchenko, Jensen, or Sproul should be the 8 guy. Hoarding 'depth' is superfluous.

If its true that Lashoff is on the block, then that's a huge vote of confidence for Ouellet. Lashoff is a lot more valuable than Kindl at this point. He's cheap, he plays a simple game, and he can PK effectively. He's nothing special and doesn't use his size nearly enough, but you aren't going to lose games just because Lashoff is your #6 guy. He really is an ideal #7/8 defenseman. He really doesn't rust if you leave him on the sidelines for games on end either.

Kindl, on the other hand, can't PK and is only the slighest bit better on the PP than any of our other options. He's also overpaid for what he is and uses his size even less than Lashoff does. He's also not a competitor.

I'd be surprised if Holland can't find a taker for Lashoff at some point, unless he's asking for something silly in return.

As an aside, Ouellet played a career high 19 minutes last night. He actually got the 4th most TOI last night - more than Smith (18 and change) and Ericsson (17:11). Also, he has yet to be a minus player in the 9 games he's played so far.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If its true that Lashoff is on the block, then that's a huge vote of confidence for Ouellet. Lashoff is a lot more valuable than Kindl at this point. He's cheap, he plays a simple game, and he can PK effectively. He's nothing special and doesn't use his size nearly enough, but you aren't going to lose games just because Lashoff is your #6 guy. He really is an ideal #7/8 defenseman. He really doesn't rust if you leave him on the sidelines for games on end either.

Kindl, on the other hand, can't PK and is only the slighest bit better on the PP than any of our other options. He's also overpaid for what he is and uses his size even less than Lashoff does. He's also not a competitor.

I'd be surprised if Holland can't find a taker for Lashoff at some point, unless he's asking for something silly in return.

As an aside, Ouellet played a career high 19 minutes last night. He actually got the 4th most TOI last night - more than Smith (18 and change) and Ericsson (17:11). Also, he has yet to be a minus player in the 9 games he's played so far.

Lashoff is pretty useless, he's not very good 5on5, he's not particularly good on the PK, and this is with extremely sheltered minutes. If we waived him, he would clear.(maybe not right now with the barrage of injuries that many teams seem to have on the blue line, but generally. Regardless, no one wants to pay an asset for a 7th guy.) Almost every team has their own 7th defenseman, thus he'd likely clear. Kindl would clear obviously because he's bad at hockey too. Kindl's marginally better than Lashoff though.

Actual Thought*

Lashoff is pretty useless, he's not very good 5on5, he's not particularly good on the PK, and this is with extremely sheltered minutes. If we waived him, he would clear.(maybe not right now with the barrage of injuries that many teams seem to have on the blue line, but generally. Regardless, no one wants to pay an asset for a 7th guy.) Almost every team has their own 7th defenseman, thus he'd likely clear. Kindl would clear obviously because he's bad at hockey too. Kindl's marginally better than Lashoff though.

The PK aren't sheltered minutes. That's where they have more guys than we do and usually they are the best guys. Lash earns his pay check.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The PK aren't sheltered minutes. That's where they have more guys than we do and usually they are the best guys. Lash earns his pay check.

PK work is actually easier to play from a defensive standpoint because it's so structured and all about lanes and assignments. That's why so many marginal players can successfully PK. Being great defensively at even stength is more difficult and valuable.

Lashoff should be waived. We have an abundance of young blueliners who could fill his roll if needed and more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad