Injury Report: DeKeyser and Helm both possibly back on Saturday

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yep, injuries happen and it seems like a lot for us. We even have Nosek and AA in GR that are ready for call ups. Martha and Bert aren't far behind either.

Part of that is who we kept signing and trying to count on to make it through a season. We go into a season leaning on a bunch of guys in their thirties, and it shouldn't be a surprise when they break down. even now, we have Datsyuk and Franzen out, and a younger guy with a checkered injury history (Helm).

Aug 6, 2012
Can't wait to see DeKeyser enter the lineup. I think he can really help the team scoring not through points but just by his puck movement and presence. Hopefully help another line get going a bit more.

Actual Thought*

Part of that is who we kept signing and trying to count on to make it through a season. We go into a season leaning on a bunch of guys in their thirties, and it shouldn't be a surprise when they break down. even now, we have Datsyuk and Franzen out, and a younger guy with a checkered injury history (Helm).

Yet Dekeyser and Glendenning are injured. Could it possibly be that hockey is a physically demanding game?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
This team will never be completely healthy, there will always be the odd injury... and probably many injuries at once some time during the season... Pity, because this teams depth is impressive, but then everyone has to be healthy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yep, injuries happen and it seems like a lot for us. We even have Nosek and AA in GR that are ready for call ups. Martha and Bert aren't far behind either.

When compared to other teams, they usually do well, if they stay healthy. But when injuries come, season is in jeopardy and could miss playoffs.

Red Wings have always superb depth which carries us to playoffs no matter what how much we have injuries.

That's the A thing to happen. Then, B thing at playoffs is to get your key guys staying healthy, with a little luck, and you are on a Cup run.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well we knew Datsyuk would miss time, Richards was signed in large part because of that I'm sure. We knew Franzen couldn't be relied on either. Helm was a complete fluke injury and we also have Dekeyser and Glendening out so it's not only the old guys. But this is why Holland isn't as stressed out about moving bodies in order to create roster spots as this board is. As fans we sit during the summer and think "how is everyone going to fit on this team, there aren't enough spots!", but then the season hits and suddenly you realize that you're lucky if you play 1 game with the entire roster healthy.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
And also Datsyuk out.

It's insane how our team won't miss a beat with those guys missing. We have have that much depth.

Larks - Zeta - Akader
Jurky - Rich - Tats
Gus - Tinky - Pulkster
Mills - Joker - Ferraro
You call this depth? I see a bunch of plugs from the second line down, especially if TT doesn't score and Gus doesn't score at ES.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
You call this depth? I see a bunch of plugs from the second line down, especially if TT doesn't score and The doesn't score at ES.

I kind of agree. None of the other lines have shown they can produce without having a Datsyuk or Zetterberg on them which is a bit worrying for me. When our top line goes cold we're going to be screwed

Tatar and nyquist haven't shown any signs of getting better so far. I think we already know what we have in them. 25-30g, 50-60 points

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Ummm...but but...correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Goose get the scoring started on Tuesday? Wasn't it KFQ that put the game on ice? Pulks has potted a couple too. It's only a matter of time till Tats and Sheahan get rolling imo. We're THREE games in here.

Actual Thought*

I kind of agree. None of the other lines have shown they can produce without having a Datsyuk or Zetterberg on them which is a bit worrying for me. When our top line goes cold we're going to be screwed

Tatar and nyquist haven't shown any signs of getting better so far. I think we already know what we have in them. 25-30g, 50-60 points

Just terrible. That only puts them in the top 100 players in the world.:sarcasm:

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Think the top line with Z acting like he's a 20 something again, the Larkness Monster acting like he's a seasoned vet, and Abby potting a hat on opening night has guys wondering where everyone that's not 8-40-71 is at, but they're all doing fine imo. The only guy that's even worried me at all is Smith...who looked like a dumpster fire after that slash he took. Hope he gets his head screwed on straight and doesn't play like a bone head tonight. If he does there's plenty of depth to have him riding pine. Really looking forward to seeing DDK-Green together and KFQ has been good to start the season so we're looking at a decent shot in the arm to the defense here when Q is on the 3rd pairing.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
You call this depth? I see a bunch of plugs from the second line down, especially if TT doesn't score and The doesn't score at ES.

Huh? That is literally last year's lineup++ :help:

Richards >> Weiss
2015 Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan > 2014 Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan (theoretically)

Add in the leading goal scorer in the AHL from last season to the third line (not a plug by any definition of the word) and the wiz kid Larkin. Then you have one of the best defensive fourth lines in the league last year. And that doesn't even include Helm (who could be slotted in for Ferraro and work his way back up the lineup) and Pavel freaking Datsyuk.

The only one you could realistically call a plug (and even that's not the right word) would be Jurco. He needs to start scoring, but he did a lot of things right last game. Looking at it from 32,000 feet I'm in favor of letting the 22 year old play a decent amount, develop and see what we have in him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

3rd line has 0 plugs. 4th line has good defensive players and penalty killers.

What are you talking about?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Yes, that is depth when you can ice a lineup like that without Datsyuk and Helm. How are Tatar and Nyquist plugs when they scored 28 and 29 goals last season? :laugh:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
If you think we are full of plugs now go back and look at that lineup sans Dats, Franzen, Helm, DDk a few seasons ago. That is what a lineup full of plugs looks like.... This team has great depth. Tats & Nyquist are a bit streaky but thats fine we have other guys that can chip in. If the 1st line is the only one looking good Blash will switch it up he's already proven this.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If you think we are full of plugs now go back and look at that lineup sans Dats, Franzen, Helm, DDk a few seasons ago. That is what a lineup full of plugs looks like.... This team has great depth. Tats & Nyquist are a bit streaky but thats fine we have other guys that can chip in. If the 1st line is the only one looking good Blash will switch it up he's already proven this.
Heck you don't even need to look at an injured lineup. 2 years ago our FULLY HEALTHY lineup included Emmerton, Andersson, Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Eaves.. now we have a 28 goal scorer on the 3rd line despite missing Dats, Mule and Helm. If this is a lineup of plugs, at least the plugs are of a much higher quality than in the past few years.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yet Dekeyser and Glendenning are injured. Could it possibly be that hockey is a physically demanding game?

Dekeyser's also had injury problems in his brief career.It's a physical game, but younger guys heal and bounce back quicker. Believe other wise, be my guest.

Well we knew Datsyuk would miss time, Richards was signed in large part because of that I'm sure. We knew Franzen couldn't be relied on either. Helm was a complete fluke injury and we also have Dekeyser and Glendening out so it's not only the old guys. But this is why Holland isn't as stressed out about moving bodies in order to create roster spots as this board is. As fans we sit during the summer and think "how is everyone going to fit on this team, there aren't enough spots!", but then the season hits and suddenly you realize that you're lucky if you play 1 game with the entire roster healthy.

It's not only old guys, but we also had our worse injury concerns when we were icing a bunch of old guys and being shocked at how many were on the IR/LTIR at any given moment. And I don't think it's surprising that it's been our older top6/9 players who routinely miss time. As you said, we knew coming in that Datsyuk/Franzen would miss time, employing older guys and leaning on them heavily is asking for repeated trips to the injured list.

For what it's worth, in the past I think part of it was the system Babcock employed. Over 82 games, I think it just wore nearly everyone down because it was a lot of emphasis on grinding and progressively less emphasis on skill, which seems like a bad recipe for our older, skilled guys. I think Blashill's system, with its tweeks, will be a bit easier on guys in that regard. Also, it's why I think the reserve spots are going to become more important. If we can more freely sub guys in/out of the lineup to give rest days to, we might be able to mitigate some of the injury risks. With the NHL's schedule and travel, I think it's something that is going to border on necessity. I'd still like to see roster limits raised, too.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Huh? That is literally last year's lineup++ :help:
And how did this lineup do last year? That's right, a first round exit.

2015 Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan > 2014 Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan (theoretically)
Theories... Again, Gus is only good on PP and TT is a little bipolar.

Add in the leading goal scorer in the AHL from last season to the third line (not a plug by any definition of the word) and the wiz kid Larkin.
Pulkkinen? He was useless last year and this year his shots have been very predictable. We'll see how he does over the whole season. Larkin is not "from the second line down."

Then you have one of the best defensive fourth lines in the league last year
Not without Glendening it isn't.

AFAIC Jurko, Sheahan, Pulx, Miller, Joker, and Ferraro are all plugs. TT Boy and Nyquil need to get going before our first line is shut down. If we could trade a couple of them for a quality defensman, we'd be better off.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
And how did this lineup do last year? That's right, a first round exit.

Took the Stanley Cup finalist to game 7 and lost by a goal essentially... This isn't the same lineup as last year so your point is irrelevant.

Theories... Again, Gus is only good on PP and TT is a little bipolar.

What is your theory? That they will regress?

Gus has 35 even strength goals over the past two seasons. He's a depth player that's playing on the third line... How many teams can claim to have that on the third line? You need good PP players too by the way. Tatar had 29 goals last year and was one of the top possession players in the league. What do you expect from your depth? 35 goals and 80 points?

Not without Glendening it isn't.

AFAIC Jurko, Sheahan, Pulx, Miller, Joker, and Ferraro are all plugs. TT Boy and Nyquil need to get going before our first line is shut down. If we could trade a couple of them for a quality defensman, we'd be better off.

Sheahan is not a plug. Since when is a .5 PPG defensive center a plug? Yes, those other guys are fourth line PKers and pretty good in their role... So what? Every team has them...

If our depth players were tearing it up every night then we'd be scoring 5-6 goals every game.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

So let me get this straight - Jurco, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, Miller, Andersson, and Ferraro are all plugs, but they'll net a quality defenseman?

And how exactly is Sheahan a plug?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad