Define Free Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
I’m not certain of the answer, but figured many of you on the board at least have flirted with these ideas.

The players insist that what they want is a free market system for determining salaries. Their salaries under the old CBA, in theory were set by these same free market principles. However, is this not the case solely for UFA’s?

I want to believe that when arbitration entered the scene, the entire premise of free market practices went out the window. I can’t think of a single thing in arbitration proceedings that is “free marketâ€. There is a buyer, a seller, and strict guideline used for determining a “comparable†market value. A third party decides what the sales price should be.

So a few questions. Hasn’t the system of arbitration used by the NHL in the past 10 years done more to escalate player salaries for a far greater number of players than have the oft described exorbitant UFA signings? If yes, isn't a cap the wrong direction to be taking?

Secondly, what would happen if the NHL truly adopted a free market system (excepting rookies)? Is there a scenario where the supply of players would be so much greater that free market dynamics could bring salaries down over all? I know why both sides may not like this idea, but I simply would like to hear some opinions on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad