Defensive leadership???

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
This IMO is the Pens #1 problem since Gonchar left and maybe even before.

Who is leading the pack on D.

Last few years we had Orpik icy stare do as I say not as I do as the default captain on D, other teams were and are still left wide open in the house. At least Brooks would shove them into MAF after thy scored.

Martin has always been to quiet and reserved, and has had too many stretches like the one he is in now where he simply looks disinterested. Even at his best he's not very sound in the house going for stick checks and poke checks instead of playing the man. Erhoff seems to be more of the same.

Letang is too unpredictable too much of a wild card to be a leader, we aren't going far with him as our #1 D.

Maata looks like he will be a stud, but he and Despres and Borts are still to raw to be leaders.

I just looks like a rudderless ship on the back end and has for years, until the D make a commitment to actually defending the most important area of the rink this will continue to be a problem.

When was the last time we even had and actual NHL Defenseman behind the bench or presence in the locker room like we have Guerin Tocchet etc. for the forwards.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I agree it is a problem. After we lost Gonch, Orpik "took over" this role. But he only did it half heartedly enough to not let anyone else step up. Now that he is gone, I think a leader will emerge.

We have to give this team time to develop as a group, but this is one area where someone absolutely needs to emerge imo

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I don't think Gonch exactly shouldered the leadership role in the cup years. Sure he helped mentor Malkin, but I would think guys like Orpik were just as vocal, and back then Orpik was actually able to lead by his play as well.

Another thing the teams have been missing are guys like Boucher and Sydor. Guys with good experience who could play low pressure minutes at a cheap cap hit. They haven't gotten bottom pairings right since then. Skoula was blah then after that they just scratched younger guys. Now Scuderi I would guess is their leader, most experience, most cups, but he's relied on too heavily and paid too much.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think Letang is more than capable of it, I don't see anyone else really stepping up as a leader. Someone like Bortuzzo is a leader as well, but he's more of a quiet leader, a guy that breaks the tension with his goofy nature, Maatta is a hard working quiet leader type of guy, Despres likes to eat, Scuds seems like a guy that can impart knowledge, just can't heed his own advice with his play.

It's an odd group, but it's not lacking some huge leadership.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I also believe Letang can be the guy.
He always ends up being the top 2 D on the team when the playoffs roll around. It's about knowing his limitations/making safer plays with the puck and using his physical abilities. He can plant guys on their butts if he feels like doing so.

BUT if they are moving away from Martin and Scuderi(trading them). They could use another physical PK'ing D. Like a Sekera for example.

ObsessedCreative*

kris+letnag+shh.png

#LEADERSHIP

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Scuderi is a leader on the team, like it or not. I was shocked people were laughing at him giving advice to Despres as Scuds himself can't follow his own advice. Then why do people listen to their coach's? They can't do anything they say anymore.

Scuderi is a winner, has lots of experience and used to be a very good defensemen. He isn't as athletic as he was before but he still understands the game even if he has trouble making the same plays he did before. Listen to any opinion you hear regardless of you not liking it or thinking its wrong. You can never grow better as a person or more intelligent if you don't weigh every side equally in an argument. Scuderi is no longer a good defensemen, but is still very capable of being a good leader. He won't set good examples, but he will help the other defensemen grow as better players with his leadership and critizm

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Scuderi is a leader on the team, like it or not. I was shocked people were laughing at him giving advice to Despres as Scuds himself can't follow his own advice. Then why do people listen to their coach's? They can't do anything they say anymore.

Scuderi is a winner, has lots of experience and used to be a very good defensemen. He isn't as athletic as he was before but he still understands the game even if he has trouble making the same plays he did before. Listen to any opinion you hear regardless of you not liking it or thinking its wrong. You can never grow better as a person or more intelligent if you don't weigh every side equally in an argument. Scuderi is no longer a good defensemen, but is still very capable of being a good leader. He won't set good examples, but he will help the other defensemen grow as better players with his leadership and critizm

He's good. He's not Craig Adams, but he's good.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home

Maybe if he were a coach he could lead. As a player I doubt that his poor play will inspire the respect required to give anything he might have to say validity or serious consideration by other players.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe if he were a coach he could lead. As a player I doubt that his poor play will inspire the respect required to give anything he might have to say validity or serious consideration by other players.

There is nothing more damaging to a team than a 'do as I say, not as I do' lockerroom leader.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
id rather him have protected the bajillion pucks that flew into our nets in that series... Crosby can take car of himself and besides he was the one 75% of the time starting the baby ********.

I don't get why you're ragging on Letang. Is he inconsistent as hell? Surely. But pointing to one picture in a series where everyone went completely insane doesn't prove ****. And it's not the first time it's been posted.

Letang fought in a playoff series against our heated rivals. After stepping up, he attempted to give a spark by re-creating a moment which helped us defeat them in the very recent past. Are we supposed to laud Talbot and ridicule Letang? Just because it didn't work? How does that make any sense?

Letang isn't perfect, but he's the closest thing we have to a leader back there. Give him an A and see if he steps up to the challenge.

ObsessedCreative*

I don't get why you're ragging on Letang. Is he inconsistent as hell? Surely. But pointing to one picture in a series where everyone went completely insane doesn't prove ****. And it's not the first time it's been posted.

Letang fought in a playoff series against our heated rivals. After stepping up, he attempted to give a spark by re-creating a moment which helped us defeat them in the very recent past. Are we supposed to laud Talbot and ridicule Letang? Just because it didn't work? How does that make any sense?

Letang isn't perfect, but he's the closest thing we have to a leader back there. Give him an A and see if he steps up to the challenge.

It was more tongue in cheek poking fun at the leadership all over this team seems to be quite the mess, but go ahead get all butt-hurt and bent out of shape. :laugh:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Considering the context of that series where Letang was one of the biggest offenders, that gesture was so cringey.

It definitely gave the impression that Letang was completely oblivious to what was happening, unlike Talbot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad