Speculation: Defensive Dilemma

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Just because that's where we play him, doesn't mean that's what he is. He's an asset that we invested in (buy low), and it would be stupid to let him walk for free (sell lower). He's proven, he fits, he performs, he has chemistry with his partner that we have high expectations and long-term plans for and now he needs to get paid. I'd rather find a way to make room for him, than hope and pray a prospect turns out to be able to fill his role better.

If he's only playing 15 minutes a game, it doesn't matter how good you think he is, he's a 3rd-pairing defenseman.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
If he's only playing 15 minutes a game, it doesn't matter how good you think he is, he's a 3rd-pairing defenseman.

I thought nisky fared pretty well when all of our top four was injured and he was getting 25 minutes. Small sample size, I guess, but I think that goes both ways, as in, we don't know that he can't handle it either...

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I really like Niskanen and everyone hates seeing a productive player walk, but I think it'd be the best move for both parties. Nisky gets paid and top 4 mins, while we save cap and let our youth at D begin to take over. Plus, I'd really hate to pay another guy big like we did Dupuis after having their best season as a pro. Who's to say that after Niskanen got his deal he doesn't ease up a bit? A guy like Letang, you HAVE to resign, Niskanen is the type of guy you let walk, at least in our situation given our depth. I do think that we will resign Martin upon the expiration of his contract. Which of our D prospects coming up are righties?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I thought nisky fared pretty well when all of our top four was injured and he was getting 25 minutes. Small sample size, I guess, but I think that goes both ways, as in, we don't know that he can't handle it either...

That's not the point.

If he's only playing 15 minutes when your lineup is healthy, he's a 3rd-pairing guy. And you're going to be paying him far more than 3rd-pairing dollars.

ObsessedCreative*

I really like Niskanen and everyone hates seeing a productive player walk, but I think it'd be the best move for both parties. Nisky gets paid and top 4 mins, while we save cap and let our youth at D begin to take over. Plus, I'd really hate to pay another guy big like we did Dupuis after having their best season as a pro. Who's to say that after Niskanen got his deal he doesn't ease up a bit? A guy like Letang, you HAVE to resign, Niskanen is the type of guy you let walk, at least in our situation given our depth. I do think that we will resign Martin upon the expiration of his contract. Which of our D prospects coming up are righties?

Man-O-man do I WISH we could do this! :sarcasm::laugh:

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
With next year:
Scuderi-Letang
Despres-Martin
Maatta-Bortuzzo

Do people expect the Pens to play three young, inexperienced defensemen next season?

Maatta will be the youngest but with the most NHL TOI with a single season, and Despres and Bortuzzo will probably have less than a full season of games played in the NHL.

Who forms the defensive shutdown pairing?

I doubt Scuderi and Letang get broken up unless they perform horribly for the rest of the season and in the post-season. So Martin and one of the younger players will be the defensive shutdown pairing? I can't see Bortuzzo in that role. I know people are high on him; I can't see him any higher than a third pairing. Maatta could be with more experience, but it may affect his offensive potential. Despres may be the best for the role in terms of current skill, but does the team trust him there? None of the three have spent significant time playing with Martin.

I don't think Samuelsson, Dumoulin, Harrington, etc will be ready for the NHL next year. Samuelsson is an RFA so some decision will need to be made on him, but I would expect the rest to continue playing for WBS with some call-up time.

I also wonder which team is going to overpay Engelland. I think his versatility is especially suited to the Pens who struggle with injuries, have a lack of physical players, and can use him on the fourth line as a forward.

Of the younger dmen, only Bortuzzo and Ruopp are RHD.

Bortuzzo (RHD)
Despres (LHD)
Samuelsson (LHD)
Dumoulin (LHD)
Harrington (LHD)
D'Agostino (LHD)
Ruopp (RHD)
Pouliot (LHD)

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
I have already resigned myself to the fact we're gonna re-sign turnstil- errr Orpik I mean:sarcasm:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I have already resigned myself to the fact we're gonna re-sign turnstil- errr Orpik I mean:sarcasm:

This guy... Yeah we probably will. He is an Olympian after all. Haha I mean based off of last year, I'd imagine that Ray's goal is to make Pittsburgh the retirement home of the NHL.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I'm going to go out on a limb here too and predict Maatta is our best defenseman by this time next season. Or at least challenging Martin to be.

So you're telling me that the 58 million dollar man is gonna be, at best, our 3rd best Dman next year? That's some great asset management right there.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So you're telling me that the 58 million dollar man is gonna be, at best, our 3rd best Dman next year? That's some great asset management right there.

Honestly, I think it's an inevitability regardless of Letang's health. We have been drafting some damn good defensemen. It's only a matter of time before the veterans start going down a few pegs on the totem pole.

And so that has always been the biggest argument AGAINST re-signing Letang to big money. The biggest argument FOR remains, though: we still need his offense.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
So if Martin (cast or bandage on his wrist/arm) and Letang (at least til Mar 19) are out what does the D look like?

I thought Scuderi and Bortuzzo were awful together, and Orpik-Bort scares me. If Bylsma is willing to break up Maatta-Niskanen, maybe:

Scuderi-Niskanen
Orpik-Despres
Maatta-Bortuzzo

Or

Orpik-Niskanen
Despres-Scuderi
Maatta-Bortuzzo

Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad