Defensive depth highlights New York Rangers minor league prospect contingent

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Well unfortunately every team that has won the past number of years tanked and received multiple top 3 overall picks. This shouldn't diminish our team or their previous years of success..

I'm proud of the Rangers and their previous year accomplishments.. We lost but at least we had the balls to goo for it.. Most teams who hord their prospects and picks really have nothing to show for it. We're still young and I'm confident we'll retool this thing, recoup picks and or prospects and be right back in the mix.

Those teams who "hoard" their picks now have prospects with a legitimate chance of becoming first line forwards or first pairing defensemen. Young kids who will step in and provide immense value to their teams while on their ELCs or bridge RFA deals. That's pretty important - the salary cap makes it so a 20 year old scoring 50 points is immensely more valuable than a 29 year old doing the same thing. We are in the exact same position as them now, with a much grimmer outlook for the future. That's nothing to be proud of. A stupid trade like Saarela and two seconds for Eric Staal is not something a franchise should be proud of doing because they "went for it." Who cares? This team wasn't an Eric Staal away from winning the Cup at any point during this season. I'm not proud of a team losing in five games and losing a solid prospect and two picks on top of that.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Well we all knew it was bad, but after reading that wow. I don't think the future is that bleak however, the team as a whole is still young. A couple good trades could go a long way to replenishing the system to an extent.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Those teams who "hoard" their picks now have prospects with a legitimate chance of becoming first line forwards or first pairing defensemen. Young kids who will step in and provide immense value to their teams while on their ELCs or bridge RFA deals. That's pretty important - the salary cap makes it so a 20 year old scoring 50 points is immensely more valuable than a 29 year old doing the same thing. We are in the exact same position as them now, with a much grimmer outlook for the future. That's nothing to be proud of. A stupid trade like Saarela and two seconds for Eric Staal is not something a franchise should be proud of doing because they "went for it." Who cares? This team wasn't an Eric Staal away from winning the Cup at any point during this season. I'm not proud of a team losing in five games and losing a solid prospect and two picks on top of that.

Ok man sure, nothing to be proud of?? Our 3 conference finals and one finals appearance in 4 years an making the playoffs 9 out of 10 years is nothing to be proud of??hahah

So many teams have had greater expectations and talent then us and we've found ways to have success in the POs. Ovi is probably going down as the best goal scorer ever and will be known as a compete failure for never getting out of the second round in his 11 year career so far..

We'll build it back up.. Things change quickly just look at who's left in the POs..

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Ok man sure, nothing to be proud of?? Our 3 conference finals and one finals appearance in 4 years an making the playoffs 9 out of 10 years is nothing to be proud of??hahah

So many teams have had greater expectations and talent then us and we've found ways to have success in the POs. Ovi is probably going down as the best goal scorer ever and will be known as a compete failure for never getting out of the second round in his 11 year career so far..

We'll build it back up.. Things change quickly just look at who's left in the POs..

Until the Rangers roster has their name carved on the Cup, there is nothing to be proud of.

10 years from now, every hockey fan will be able to tell you who won the Cup in 2016. Only hardcore Ranger fans with good memory will be able to tell you about the Rangers going to the finals and making the playoffs 9 out of 10 years.

Don't see what Ovechkin, a single player, has to do with another team not winning the Cup.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Until the Rangers roster has their name carved on the Cup, there is nothing to be proud of.
10 years from now, every hockey fan will be able to tell you who won the Cup in 2016. Only hardcore Ranger fans with good memory will be able to tell you about the Rangers going to the finals and making the playoffs 9 out of 10 years.

"Until the Rangers roster has their name carved on the Cup, there is nothing to be proud of"

if this is what you believe being a fan of a sports team is, i don't get why you bother

or why you don't pick a new team each season?
of course, in NHL, thats hard to do, here we are in 3rd round with no 1st place teams left

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Being proud of an organization is one thing. That does not preclude one from criticizing moves that do not work. As was pointed out, this team was NOT an E.Staal away form winning the Cup. One can be proud of the franchise and still point out the boneheaded deal that it was. Not many teams can go 4 consecutive years without a first round pick. How many franchises do you know that have done that? There is probably a reason that you can name very little, if at all.
If it was that easy, the Rangers would have more Cups than 1 in 85 years.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
People need to know the difference from success and what the legacy of a team is.

Success is not winning a cup. It can be described as that, but it isn't. The Rangers have been successful the last 4 seasons, but the legacy of those team is that they never got over the hump, as is the case with many other teams.

For example, the Canucks from 2008-2013. Very successful teams, but never got over the final hurdle. The caps areally just like that as well, but not as successful as the Rangers have been. The Sharks, Blues, Canadiens, and Flyers are other teams like the Rangers. They've been successful franchises, but haven't won a title with that core of players. He Sharks and Blues can change their legacy as a core this season, but if they don't, nobody can argue the team's successes and failures at the end.

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
Well unfortunately every team that has won the past number of years tanked and received multiple top 3 overall picks. This shouldn't diminish our team or their previous years of success..

I'm proud of the Rangers and their previous year accomplishments.. We lost but at least we had the balls to goo for it.. Most teams who hord their prospects and picks really have nothing to show for it. We're still young and I'm confident we'll retool this thing, recoup picks and or prospects and be right back in the mix.

I always thought of how many Stanley Cup winners has at least 1 or more top five picks playing on the team. I could look it up but I'm so damn lazy. But, on top of my head Chicago and LA the two team that won the SC have at least 1 or 2 top 5 pick on the team. What I'm trying to say is, in order to win the SC top 5 pick is a must to win. The Rangers never have this luxury but they try every year thur trades or free agents and try to win the SC. I'm also very proud of this franchise

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I always thought of how many Stanley Cup winners has at least 1 or more top five picks playing on the team. I could look it up but I'm so damn lazy. But, on top of my head Chicago and LA the two team that won the SC have at least 1 or 2 top 5 pick on the team. What I'm trying to say is, in order to win the SC top 5 pick is a must to win.
By this theory, Edmonton should have been a machine. And the Atlanta Trashers should have ruled the roost.

Yes, a team needs to have an elite level talent to win, but that talent can come to a team without having said team pick them as a top-5 pick.
The Rangers never have this luxury but they try every year thur trades or free agents and try to win the SC.
One usually gives themselves a better chance at finding such talent by having more draft picks, not less.
I'm also very proud of this franchise
Me too. But one Cup in 85 years is hardly something to beat your chest about.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

This is a great way of looking at the situation. :yo:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
By this theory, Edmonton should have been a machine. And the Atlanta Trashers should have ruled the roost.

Yes, a team needs to have an elite level talent to win, but that talent can come to a team without having said team pick them as a top-5 pick.

One usually gives themselves a better chance at finding such talent by having more draft picks, not less.

Me too. But one Cup in 85 years is hardly something to beat your chest about.

Well, this team hasn't sucked for most of those 85 years but I understand what you're saying and it's painful but we're fans. We have to deal with cards we're dealt. :(

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Well, this team hasn't sucked for most of those 85 years but I understand what you're saying and it's painful but we're fans. We have to deal with cards we're dealt. :(

and (almost) none of us are 100, suffering as fans with only 1 Cup in 75 years since 1941...

I am probably on the older end here, and i got much excitement, satisfaction, pride from the early '70's Emile teams, the playoff runs in '79, by the Herbie teams, '86, then the great 90's teams, and the last 10-12 years

aside from the 7 year drought after '97, there havent been long bad stretches

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
and (almost) none of us are 100, suffering as fans with only 1 Cup in 75 years since 1941...

I am probably on the older end here, and i got much excitement, satisfaction, pride from the early '70's Emile teams, the playoff runs in '79, by the Herbie teams, '86, then the great 90's teams, and the last 10-12 years

aside from the 7 year drought after '97, there havent been long bad stretches

Yeah I'm not a hockey historian or anything but my impression has been that the Rangers didn't just flat out suck for 85 years but have had the normal cycles of good and bad but unfortunately were unable to win the cup for various reasons during the good years. It sucks when that happens but it unfortunately happens, it doesn't mean the team has always been bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00