Defensemen who were the greatest players in the world when they played

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hod Stuart.

(The defending Stanley Cup champion Montreal Wanderers were willing to make him the highest paid player in hockey to lure the already two-time all star from the first pro league in Pittsburgh.)

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Slava Fetisov.
Montreal Gazette said:
The 27 year old was generally regarded as the best player in the world last year.

(Many outside of Alberta thought so. The captain of the vaulted Soviets was Soviet MVP in 1982, Golden Hockey Stick in 1984, top in assists at the Olympics in 1984. Gretzky said he was the greatest defenseman he ever played against. He was at his peak well before his NHL career, 24 years old in 1982.)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Chris Pronger.

(In 2000, the year he won the Hart trophy, arguably, if you discount Jagr a bit. It was a time with no clear greatest player. After Gretz & Mario and before OV & Sid there was talk of Forsberg or Kariya ascending the throne, but injuries or otherwise, it didn't happen.)

Reactions: brokeu91

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Babe Pratt.

(In 1944. The Leaf HHOFer won the Hart during this WWII-depleted year in which non-HHOFer Herb Cain was NHL top scorer.)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Doug Harvey?

In 1955 Howe was injured for part of the regular season, so one could argue the Hab was the greatest for a time. But Gordie dominated the playoffs that year.

In 1956 Harvey has a case only if you criticize the Hart voting and discount scoring, as it was Beliveau's year. Though, some say it was Harvey who is most responsible for the success of the dynasty.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Shore and Orr were the only two were were consensus best player in the world for an extended period of time.

To add to the long list of "short term possibles," I'll say Lidstrom during the brief decline in NHL forward talent in the early 00s

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Shore and Orr were the only two were were consensus best player in the world for an extended period of time.

To add to the long list of "short term possibles," I'll say Lidstrom during the brief decline in NHL forward talent in the early 00s
Yes, I think you're exactly right. I don't think players like Harvey and Pronger and Fetisov were ever -- as the OP specified -- "considered the best player in the world at the time". Like, if you'd polled players / fans / media at the time of those players' peaks/primes, I don't think they'd ever have won the poll.

But, yes, probably Shore and certainly Orr would have. And yeah, Lidstrom maybe sneaks in there for a couple of years, though he's still in competition with Jagr, then Forsberg, and then Crosby/Ovechkin, so it's tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Eddie Shore is a top-10 all time player whom we voted 14th best.

Disappointing, but we had worse voting results (Cyclone 33rd, Seibert friggin' 61st? Gadsby 90th).

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Eddie Shore is a top-10 all time player whom we voted 14th best.

Disappointing, but we had worse voting results (Cyclone 33rd, Seibert friggin' 61st? Gadsby 90th).

I just can't get how big of a swing there is from the regular season to the playoffs with Shore. I think he dropped to where he should be moving forward.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If Eddie Shore was truly "consensus best player in the world for an extended period of time", then we ****ed him rotten in the top-100 players project.

Did we? It was the late 30s when the quality of the league had dipped.

He also wasn't that far behind Morenz, and was still ahead of Nighbor.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Chris Pronger.

(In 2000, the year he won the Hart trophy, arguably, if you discount Jagr a bit. It was a time with no clear greatest player. After Gretz & Mario and before OV & Sid there was talk of Forsberg or Kariya ascending the throne, but injuries or otherwise, it didn't happen.)

why would you discount Jagr? And what about Hasek?

Don't think Pronger was ever even top 2.

Reactions: Voight

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
why would you discount Jagr? And what about Hasek?

Don't think Pronger was ever even top 2.
I agree. There's a big difference between a guy being the best player for one season (see Jose Theodore, Henrik Sedin, et al.) and being the "best player in the world". Nobody thought Chris Pronger was the best player in the world, even after he won the Norris and Hart.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I agree. There's a big difference between a guy being the best player for one season (see Jose Theodore, Henrik Sedin, et al.) and being the "best player in the world". Nobody thought Chris Pronger was the best player in the world, even after he won the Norris and Hart.

Theodore and Sedin weren't even the best players. They just (arguably) had the best season.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
In spurts of 20 games or so Erik Karlsson at times is the best player in the world currently .

For that whole playoff-run the Senators had there were a couple of people who believed he was the best player in the world, that could tilt the ice 35+ minutes a night if needed. They had their case, but don’t know if it was an general consensus.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad