News Article: Defenseman Orpik, Penguins fighting temptation to push puck

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
In related news, Bylsma believes that other coaches do not hold their players accountable for their mistakes, and that these other coaches should distribute playing time based on how a player plays, not how many years they have been in the league.

Damn it! I wasn't going to click on what I figured was another crappy Trib article, but your comment fooled me into doing it! Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrg

That article ... trying to make it sound like Malkin and Letang returning is what caused problems on the defense, never mind their defensive rock came back just one game earlier, but no way he could be part of the problem, eh?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
In related news, Bylsma believes that other coaches do not hold their players accountable for their mistakes, and that these other coaches should distribute playing time based on how a player plays, not how many years they have been in the league.

HA! Now i wish Bylsma really said that. COME ON!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Also - why are our players all calling out our team defense now? We've been playing this way since we won the cup, did it take them this long to realize it's a problem? :laugh:

A lot of teams have players that eventually just start speaking out about their coaching staff, etc, some don't do it at all until the coach is gone. Maybe the players see the potential and how it's been wasted and have come to a point where the promises of change, aren't working.

I mean you sit in the dressing room, year after year of failure in the playoffs because the coaching strategy is either a failure or just absent altogether without any semblance of structure, and you figure ok some changes are coming, but they don't, but in a sign of some light...he coach sees he needs a fresh opinion on his coaching and asks for a guy to be hired as his 3rd assistant and fresh pair of eyes, so you figure hey, some changes are coming...

But they don't. Everyone is patient to a point.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Letang saying that the team needs to get rid of stupid mistakes...

...like a long-term $7.25 Million contract wasted on somebody who makes Corky from "Life Goes On" look like Stephen Hawking?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Got a kick out of this quote

"Letang didn't sound as concerned."

Anyways, the article's not specific about the "problems," but one thing that would go a long way toward limiting scoring chances is if Orpik would be a little more certain on his clears instead of just trying to get rid of the puck as fast as possible so he isn't eligible to be checked. Not getting hit can't be your focus to the exclusion of everything else.

Every time he rushes and flicks one of those soft little muffins up the wall, either the puck is turned over or the left wing gets obliterated by an opponent then the puck is turned over.

Agreed all around. The Letang quote was the most amusing of the article.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I'm pretty sure that the media labels any defenseman who isn't a puck mover as a "defensive defenseman". Even when orpik was at his best he could never be confused as a defensive stalwart such as Scuds.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Damn it! I wasn't going to click on what I figured was another crappy Trib article, but your comment fooled me into doing it! Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrg

That article ... trying to make it sound like Malkin and Letang returning is what caused problems on the defense, never mind their defensive rock came back just one game earlier, but no way he could be part of the problem, eh?

the problems actually started the day Tanner Glass and Brooks Orpik came back against, I believe, Carolina.

The Penguins didn't give up many goals that game, but the team's structure went to ****.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm trying to keep it on topic here. But the idea that most of the "Fire DB" brigade is bringing the objectivity is laughable, since their opinion has very little basis in how the team is actually performing. It's the same song and dance whether we're eking out a messy one against the Flames with a full roster or dominating the best teams in the league with half a roster.

That's a fair statement. You tend to ignore big trends though. Each of the last 3 seasons we have gone on a ridiculous winning streak and the results look better than we are playing. Sloppy defensive hockey creeps in (especially with a healthy squad) and then those trends show up in the playoffs. Last year we looked sloppy against the Isles, Philly the year before. Some of that falls on the players but when your team isn't playing the way you want them to, it's up to the coaches to correct the issues. The burden of proof is on DB and co. to show that this year is different.

On topic though, yeah we agree that Orpik is one of the biggest culprits of sloppy defensive play. I have to say though, Bylsma keeps playing him despite his **** play, yet you never seem to call out those decisions.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm trying to keep it on topic here. But the idea that most of the "Fire DB" brigade is bringing the objectivity is laughable, since their opinion has very little basis in how the team is actually performing. It's the same song and dance whether we're eking out a messy one against the Flames with a full roster or dominating the best teams in the league with half a roster.

DB has noticed the problem and spoken out about it, correct? Yet the sloppiness is still happening. Now a few players are frustrated and are speaking out.

Has DB, and the rest of the staff, lost some of the team? Do the stars think they know better? Could a rift develop in the room between the globetrotters and the defensive minded? What is going on?

I'm not asserting anything, just asking questions.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
the problems actually started the day Tanner Glass and Brooks Orpik came back against, I believe, Carolina.

The Penguins didn't give up many goals that game, but the team's structure went to ****.

Agreed. With Orpik coming back, we really lost two D who were performing well ... the guy who lost his spot to Orpik and the guy who had to play with him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
On topic though, yeah we agree that Orpik is one of the biggest culprits of sloppy defensive play. I have to say though, Bylsma keeps playing him despite his **** play, yet you never seem to call out those decisions.

I hate it as much as anyone. But I understand that tenured vets get a much longer rope everywhere, so I don't feel the need to inundate GDTs after every period where he gets more TOI than a good young defenseman.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Agreed. With Orpik coming back, we really lost two D who were performing well ... the guy who lost his spot to Orpik and the guy who had to play with him.

OH WAIT!

Sorry, I was wrong anyhow. Glass, Orpik ANDANDANDAND Engelland (suspension) all returned that game.

God, I hated that game.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The multiple drop pass did it for me. This team isn't going to change until the coach or the dynamic in the room is.

Like with Letang, you just have to hope they wise up in the playoffs. Hopefully sooner than game 3 against a team like Boston.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I hate it as much as anyone. But I understand that tenured vets get a much longer rope everywhere, so I don't feel the need to inundate GDTs after every period where he gets more TOI than a good young defenseman.

Again, fair enough. It's just hard not to think your a blind DB supporter when you dedicate most of your posts to defending him. Of course, when mant of the posts are over the top the other way, I guess it keeps you busy.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
DB has noticed the problem and spoken out about it, correct? Yet the sloppiness is still happening. Now a few players are frustrated and are speaking out.

Has DB, and the rest of the staff, lost some of the team? Do the stars think they know better? Could a rift develop in the room between the globetrotters and the defensive minded? What is going on?

I'm not asserting anything, just asking questions.

I'll answer it for you.

Team leaders calling for their team to tighten up is not exclusive to the Penguins, and the change is not always instantaneous. I have no idea why you'd think there would be a "rift" based on that.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I also don't like how this is turning into a blame Malkin thing. The issues may have crept up when he returned, but he hasn't been a major contributor to these issues, imo

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

I'm glad the head coach and players are speaking out to the media about their defensive problems. It's much more effective than actually trying to fix the problem.

Step 1: Admit to media there's a problem
Step 2: Continue the same habits that led to said problem
Step 3: Act shocked when the results are the same
Step 4: Punish less tenured players
Step 5: Lather, Rise, Repeat

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The multiple drop pass did it for me. This team isn't going to change until the coach or the dynamic in the room is.

Like with Letang, you just have to hope they wise up in the playoffs. Hopefully sooner than game 3 against a team like Boston.

That's the problem though, teams don't just turn on a switch in the playoffs (at least in terms of tenancies). If sloppy hockey is Penguins hockey now, it will be Penguins hockey in May.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
what's the point of articles like this one? this sounds exactly like those stupid question that keeps repeating at every press conference. no substance, only a ton of politically correct BS...

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
OH WAIT!

Sorry, I was wrong anyhow. Glass, Orpik ANDANDANDAND Engelland (suspension) all returned that game.

God, I hated that game.

Well, then ... obviously everything went wrong when Malkin and Letang returned :laugh:

I also don't like how this is turning into a blame Malkin thing. The issues may have crept up when he returned, but he hasn't been a major contributor to these issues, imo

It seems to be going that way, doesn't it? I got rather irate after the Oiler's game when they were trying to pin the loss on Geno's stupid penalty. OK, they scored on the resulting PP, yes, it gave them some momentum ... but we still had the lead and Malkin wasn't in any way responsible for any of the other goals against ... he wasn't even on the ice for those. Yet they all just pointed fingers at Geno and glossed over Sutter's penalty in OT and HCDB's brilliant strategy for the resulting PK :shakehead

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Got a kick out of this quote

"Letang didn't sound as concerned."

Anyways, the article's not specific about the "problems," but one thing that would go a long way toward limiting scoring chances is if Orpik would be a little more certain on his clears instead of just trying to get rid of the puck as fast as possible so he isn't eligible to be checked. Not getting hit can't be your focus to the exclusion of everything else.

Every time he rushes and flicks one of those soft little muffins up the wall, either the puck is turned over or the left wing gets obliterated by an opponent then the puck is turned over.

That Letang quote really annoyed me.

The high risk high reward hockey Letang plays is the pens biggest problem right now, whenever hes in the lineup the games are much more wide open, its more of a pond hockey game.

It literally took about 30 seconds into Letang's first game back before he gave up a BA to the jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad