Recalled/Assigned: Defenseman Brandon Manning recalled (March 26)

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I still make Peyton Manning jokes anytime B. Manning plays or is talked about. Super Bowl here we come!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Time to make the most of it kid. Seven games is a nice audition. Prove you're not the next John Slaney.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
Time to make the most of it kid. Seven games is a nice audition. Prove you're not the next John Slaney.

I keep seeing this comparison and it is quite irrelevant. John Slaney was a top 10 pick and failed to live up to that. Manning was an undrafted free agent who has progressed very well, much better than Slaney at the same point in his career. Can't really call an undrafted free agent a bust either.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I keep seeing this comparison and it is quite irrelevant. John Slaney was a top 10 pick and failed to live up to that. Manning was an undrafted free agent who has progressed very well, much better than Slaney at the same point in his career. Can't really call an undrafted free agent a bust either.

He's saying he wants Manning to prove he's not an AHL filler like Slaney was.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
He's saying he wants Manning to prove he's not an AHL filler like Slaney was.

I know. But, using Slaney is a terrible example because he had such high expectations. Also, Slaney was an offensive defenseman and couldn't produce at the NHL level. Manning is a 2-way defenseman who doesn't only rely on his offense.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I know. But, using Slaney is a terrible example because he had such high expectations. Also, Slaney was an offensive defenseman and couldn't produce at the NHL level. Manning is a 2-way defenseman who doesn't only rely on his offense.

I don't think anyone is placing any expectations on Manning even the OP. If he turns out to be more than AHL player cool but if not no one cares since there's nothing invested in him.

Manning really isn't much of a two-way defender. He even gets exposed defensively down in the minors. We saw how poorly he did a couple of weeks when the Flyers couldn't shelter him.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
There is something about Manning that I like. I think he could surprise.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That's a dubious claim given the tiny number of easy minutes Manning has played in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad