Defense

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I'm not impressed with our defense this year, or last. The young guys are stagnate or getting worse, and the veterans are veterans.

Subban still played his best hockey under JM. He was incredible, and would probably be the most feared defense man in the league if JM was still here.

Sure, Subban is great, but he can be better and that's what's pissing me off. What the hell is going on...

if you notice beaulieu, he praises Gonchar, who's taken him under his wings...never the coaching.

I never liked Gilbert...but no way he's this bad, and Emelin gets worse each year.

The d are not physical, we always give up the blue line, they make poor decisions in their own end, and the talent's there.

Maybe gilbert needs a sit down...

/rant

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Fewer goals against in the East... (Tied with Pit and NYR )

Subban has the highest +/- of all the D squad

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm not impressed with our defense this year, or last. The young guys are stagnate or getting worse, and the veterans are veterans.

Subban still played his best hockey under JM. He was incredible, and would probably be the most feared defense man in the league if JM was still here.

Sure, Subban is great, but he can be better and that's what's pissing me off. What the hell is going on...

if you notice beaulieu, he praises Gonchar, who's taken him under his wings...never the coaching.

I never liked Gilbert...but no way he's this bad, and Emelin gets worse each year.

The d are not physical, we always give up the blue line, they make poor decisions in their own end, and the talent's there.

Maybe gilbert needs a sit down...

/rant

Yup, the goals against numbers prove it!

:sarcasm:

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

We are fortunate to have a great coach who implanted one of the best devensive system in the entire NHL.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Fewer goals against in the East... (Tied with Pit and NYR )

Subban has the highest +/- of all the D squad

CP31 plays a bigger role than our d for goals scored against..

yes, subban is our best dman. but he could be better and has played better..

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Yes you're right :)
The defense is alright, it just lack some offensive punch.

Anyways I feel like there's a lot of reasons to be impressed with this year's defense. Dont be to harsh with them, you know what you get with this defensive top 6, every game you have a chance to beat EVRY SINGLE TEAM in the eastern conference. Its a fact we keep doing it since last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

The GA is still good with Tokarski.

Plus no matter how good a goalie is, he can't do it by himself. GA is a team effort...goalies-defense and forwards

Lorty

May 7, 2013

And what's the problem? People need to realize that Price is a superstar just like any other players (Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, etc) and part of the value of the team. Some teams were able to afford great/elite offensive players, but they lack goaltending, and that's how it is.

Also, Ryan Miller used to be an elite goalie for the Sabres. They still managed to be the worst team in 2013-14.

Price is really good, but the team isn't winning ONLY because of Price.

Last edited:

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

This part is sadly true.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
And what's the problem? People need to realize that Price is a superstar just like any other players (Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, etc) and part of the value of the team. Some teams were able to afford great/elite offensive players, but they lack goaltending, and that's how it is.

the problem is our defense doesn't play up to their ability.

Emelin use to look like a #3 4 guy, and he doesn't even look like he should be in the line-up. if the guy isn't throwing his weight around, scaring forwards, and forcing dump-ins, he isn't gong to be effective.

Subban was more positional sound under JM, always seemed to be in the right places at the right time. was physical and tough to play against. Subban is still very good, just hasn't reached the level I thought possible.

Markov and Gonchar are 2 stable guys, they play their game.

Beaulieu tosses all compliments to Gonchar..it's obvious gonchar is a leader in the dressing room and is helping beaulieu....

gilbert...i don't even no where to start.

Lorty

May 7, 2013
the problem is our defense doesn't play up to their ability.

Emelin use to look like a #3 4 guy, and he doesn't even look like he should be in the line-up. if the guy isn't throwing his weight around, scaring forwards, and forcing dump-ins, he isn't gong to be effective.

Subban was more positional sound under JM, always seemed to be in the right places at the right time. was physical and tough to play against. Subban is still very good, just hasn't reached the level I thought possible.

Markov and Gonchar are 2 stable guys, they play their game.

Beaulieu tosses all compliments to Gonchar..it's obvious gonchar is a leader in the dressing room and is helping beaulieu....

gilbert...i don't even no where to start.

Yes, it could better. Everything could be better, all teams wished their defense or offense could be better. Players don't play their high game every single game either.

If we had an average goalie, then I'd agree, fix the defense ASAP. But with Price in? We can deal with an average defense for now. That's the beauty of having an elite goaltender.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Problem isn't the defense, it's the forwards aside from Eller, Sekac and Patches being unable to maintain possession. Everyone blames the D when they can't defend the fifteenth 3 on 2 of the game but nobody blames the forwards for turning over the puck to create these 3 on 2's or 2 on 1's.

Lorty

May 7, 2013
Problem isn't the defense, it's the forwards aside from Eller, Sekac and Patches being unable to maintain possession. Everyone blames the D when they can't defend the fifteenth 3 on 2 of the game but nobody blames the forwards for turning over the puck to create these 3 on 2's or 2 on 1's.

And sometimes all it takes is ONE key player (in this case, a winger) to fix a lot of issues.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think the OP is overrating and it is nowhere near as bad is he would like to think. Is their room to get better for the playoffs? Sure but this defence is not terrible.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
What's the problem with the defence? Same as everything else on this team. Coaching.

We give up more shots from the most dangerous areas of the ice than the Oilers, for pete's sake. The reason we get away with it is that Price has been nearly unbeatable this season except from point-blank range, and the Oilers goaltending is sub-par. Don't believe me? Go look at the heat maps.

Canadiens: http://war-on-ice.com/hexteams.html?team=MTL&start0=20142015&end0=20142015

Oilers: http://war-on-ice.com/hexteams.html?team=EDM&start0=20142015&end0=20142015

Chew on that for a minute: we surrender 0.4 shots/game more than the Edmonton Oilers. Unreal. Therrien :shakehead

turbodragon

Jan 24, 2014
I'm tired of the low goals against stat being bandied about to show our defense isn't bad. Here are some more stats: 5 on 5, we're 22nd in shots attempts against, 3rd is save percentage and 4th in goals against. Our defense is sub-par. Carey Price is saving our ass.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I can't say that our young guys have stagnated, as Beaulieu is playing the best hockey of his career and looks like a legit top 4D out there.

The problem again comes down to the system, the X's and O's. Therrien will never be a man with a relatively high IQ. He's a motivator, he's not a strategist. He'd probably be better suited as an Assistant Coach.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with him for at least another couple of years as his contract extension doesn't kick in till next season. We can use an upgrade on D, but the biggest problem with this team is the complete lack of offence from anyone not named Pacioretty. MB's biggest need at the deadline will be a top 6 winger in the mould of a Tomas Vanek.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Gilbert suxx, bring in Tinordi, when he's ok. Trade Gilbert. For a pick.
As for Emelin, what a sad case, this year...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I can't say that our young guys have stagnated, as Beaulieu is playing the best hockey of his career and looks like a legit top 4D out there.

The problem again comes down to the system, the X's and O's. Therrien will never be a man with a relatively high IQ. He's a motivator, he's not a strategist. He'd probably be better suited as an Assistant Coach.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with him for at least another couple of years as his contract extension doesn't kick in till next season. We can use an upgrade on D, but the biggest problem with this team is the complete lack of offence from anyone not named Pacioretty. MB's biggest need at the deadline will be a top 6 winger in the mould of a Tomas Vanek.

1) being poor strategically doesn't really indicate IQ level.

2) Coaches are hired to be fired. Never, ever assume a coach's job is safe just because they signed a new contract. Carlyle signed a new contract last offseason, didn't save him. As soon as Montreal's luck runs out, Therrien will have to adapt his strategies. If he can't, he'll be gone. It's really as simple as that. How long have recent Canadiens coaches lasted behind the bench?

3) Our offence has holes, but they're a little overblown. Systemically, the team relies on dumps and stretch passes to much. Weaknesses in transition have contributed to some poor defence AND poor offence. Generating shots and chances are something the team struggles with. Part is personnel, part is coaching.

Everything else is spot on.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If we had another legit top 6 forward we'd spend a lot more time in the offensive zone and wouldn't have to worry about our defence, which hasn't even been bad.

Pacioretty, Plekanec, Chucky, Eller and Sekac are all pretty good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone but then we have guys like Parenteau/Desharnais who get pushed around too easily and lose the puck, Gallagher who shoots from anywhere or makes awful passes every time he gets the puck and then a bunch of 4th liners who can't even stick handle.

Last year when we added Vanek the amount of time we spent in the offensive zone greatly improved, until we get another good forward we're going to be stuck having to rely on Price because we're usually stuck scoring like 2 goals a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad