Defense starting to gel?

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
I know it's hard being positive after a Flyers shootout, but I've noticed the past few games the defense has been much tighter overall. They're pinching more but not out of position, seem to keep the shooters to the perimeter for the most part, and have stopped letting up 58 breakaways a game. Between their play and Bryz I feel really good, the past few games Bryz hasn't had to make 15 amazing saves a game.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree they were underrated, and year we're missing a #1, but they just looked lost in the beginning of the year. The breakaways were inexcusable, and they played no part in sustaining pressure. I feel like Grossmann, Coby and Schenn have been huge in the offensive zone. Really smart pinching now.

Yea the practices definitely help.

Foster to me has been a pleasant surprise, especially in the offensive zone. Gervais hasn't really stood out to me, which is a good thing.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
I think Gervais has been the weakest link. He didn't do anything earth shatteringly bad this game, but a couple of plays he made had me cringing and could have led to scoring opportunities for the opposition.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I think Gervais has been the weakest link. He didn't do anything earth shatteringly bad this game, but a couple of plays he made had me cringing and could have led to scoring opportunities for the opposition.

He looked good against Tampa, other than the blown coverage on that goal. He was doing a great job of making transitions out of our zone.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
They are making a commitment to support Bryz and block shots and actually doing pretty good. They have a lot of size back there to get in the shooting lanes that is for sure.

BRUTAL Gervais is definitely the weakest link ..surprised Foster hasn't been exposed as much as I thought he would but not sure how long that will last. Mesz coming back would be nice but not sure how long he will last before another injury....

All in all they at least look pretty cohesive..

They had no choice but to tighten things up given the less mobile D personnel and the loss of some of our firepower in Harts and Simmer.....

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Eh, I guess it really is who sees the game. I think Foster has easily been the weakest link on the defense. Guy is always out of position, slow as hell, and is COMPLETELY dominated along the boards. Not saying Gervias is a stud, but I personally thought he has done a better job than Foster while seeing harder competition. Like I know he has a great slapshot and all (when it actually hits close to the net), but his defensive deficiencies, I think, is the weakest of all 6. He is better than Slowja though.

Lets be serious here for a second though. Gervias shouldnt be seeing 19 mins a night though.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Eh, I guess it really is who sees the game. I think Foster has easily been the weakest link on the defense. Guy is always out of position, slow as hell, and is COMPLETELY dominated along the boards. Not saying Gervias is a stud, but I personally thought he has done a better job than Foster while seeing harder competition. Like I know he has a great slapshot and all (when it actually hits close to the net), but his defensive deficiencies, I think, is the weakest of all 6. He is better than Slowja though.

Lets be serious here for a second though. Gervias shouldnt be seeing 19 mins a night though.

Not saying Foster has been good..just surprised he hasn't been as bad. Gervais is ok but I guess I'm basing the weakest link argument off of a few big BRUTAL gaffes I've seen and one that actually lead to the goal that ruined Bryz's shutout bid...

Both Foster and Gervais definitely shouldn't be playing as many minutes as they are and as they play more they will most likely revert to their sucky mean......

At least they are not like Leighton who proved his suckitude again in only one game...

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Not saying Foster has been good..just surprised he hasn't been as bad. Gervais is ok but I guess I'm basing it off of a few big BRUTAL gaffes I've seen and one that actually lead to the goal that ruined Bryz's shutout bid...

Both Foster and Gervais definitely shouldn't be playing as many minutes as they are and as they play more they will most likely revert to their sucky mean......

At least they are not like Leighton who proved his suckitude in one game...

I think I just get tired of seeing Foster getting hit by people that are like 5-6 inches shorter then him and him being the one that falls to the ice. It is kind of embarrassing. I agree though, I dont think Gervias has been amazing, but I dont think Lavy should be playing him in the top 4. Only reason he does that is even he is scared of a Gervias-Foster pairing. According to Homer, seems that Gustafsson is still abit a way. He is playing but looks like he is still getting back into game shape. Wouldnt be surprised if we see him called up in a week or two though.

With Meszaros coming back (if he does. He is always hurt).

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Grossmann
Meszaros-Gustafsson

Pretty solid overall.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
Our top 4 has looked very solid. Gervais has looked iffy at times but you can tell he's a better puck handler any of our d-men besides Timonen right now. Once Mez and Gustaffson come back I'll feel a lot more comfortable about our defense as a whole.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Gervais started off the season decent but has been noticeably atrocious the last couple of games. I'll give him another week or 2, maybe 3, to pull his head out of his ass before I tear him apart. Hell, Hartnell was in a 6 month rut a few years ago and many people here wanted him traded and I was adament about keeping him. Figure I should show the same respect to Gervais.

The defense has done a fairly decent job of keeping guys away from the front of the net, which is probably one of the reasons why the amount of softies let through by Bryzgalov seems to have decreased.

I'll be considerably happy when Meszaros comes back.

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
Shots against have really been down the last few games so that is definitely encouraging. Just hope we can get the offense going again without giving up too much of the commitment to defense that the team has made lately.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Honestly I'm fine with Foster and Gervais. They're both really 6/7/8th fill in kind of guys that are playing more because of Mez being hurt, and Gus still getting up to speed I guess. I just think about it this way, when we needed guys to step in and play it was horrific. They haven't been horrific, so that's better than the past few years lol.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Gervais has been good considering expectations. He's just getting more minutes than he should.

Foster is definitely worse

See I think Foster has played fairly solid compared to what I expected with him. No way worse than Gervais. I don't remember any glaring mistakes I saw when watching games (note: Missed 2nd and 3rd from last night), unlike Gervais. Not that +/- is everything, but Foster is up there with Timonen and Schenn with a +2. Not bad considering he's seeing ~13 minutes TOI/game. Gervais is -3 (2nd lost on team next to Voracek) at ~16 minutes TOI/game. I'd be fine with Foster and Gustafsson switching in the 6th spot through the season.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Not saying Foster has been good..just surprised he hasn't been as bad. Gervais is ok but I guess I'm basing the weakest link argument off of a few big BRUTAL gaffes I've seen and one that actually lead to the goal that ruined Bryz's shutout bid...

At least they are not like Leighton who proved his suckitude again in only one game...

The difference between the two is that Gervais is asked to play 17+ minutes a night wheres Foster is limited to 10-13 minutes.

Overall Gervais is more of a well rounded player than Foster who is more or less a pylon who has a hammer of a slapshot.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I was reading on Facebook last night that some people thought Gervais was brutal and I really disagreed. He hasn't been great, but brutal? Maybe I'm wrong but given the fact that he was signed on to be the 7th d-man I thought he's filled in admirably. As BBS said above, just too many minutes.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I was reading on Facebook last night that some people thought Gervais was brutal and I really disagreed. He hasn't been great, but brutal? Maybe I'm wrong but given the fact that he was signed on to be the 7th d-man I thought he's filled in admirably. As BBS said above, just too many minutes.
I agree, and think that Gervais has been decent. He's had both really good and crappy plays, but overall I don't see him as a problem at all. Sure, limit his minutes a bit, but it's far from critical. But in general, I'm quite pleasantly surprised with our defense, they're holding up really well.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I know it's hard being positive after a Flyers shootout, but I've noticed the past few games the defense has been much tighter overall. They're pinching more but not out of position, seem to keep the shooters to the perimeter for the most part, and have stopped letting up 58 breakaways a game. Between their play and Bryz I feel really good, the past few games Bryz hasn't had to make 15 amazing saves a game.

The whole group has settled down, now that the pairings are more settled. Mesz' injury hurts, but when you consider that Schenn, Gervais and Foster (3) are brand new Flyers, and Grossmann only joined before the deadline last year, we basically have 2/3 of a brand new D corps, with Kimmo and Coburn back.

People think the Flyers returned unchanged after the lockout, but it just isn't true.

I still think that when Mesz and Gustafsson are back, they might end up being the 3rd pairing, but Gervais has been playing well and Foster has his strengths, esp. the PP shot threat we've been lacking.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
I really like our top 5 when mez is back. Kimmo is still solid, though not what he was. Schenn has been physical and solid. Grosman and coby are just horses. If homer can get a top pair PMD this summer, it'd be a really good group.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
is pronger here working for the flyers, or did he go back to st. louis? i know he was here for a few days during the first week but i thought they implied they had a position or some kind of coaching for him to do? not that you can teach what he did. you can't teach how to steal other player's souls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad